Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sawhorses, Yeehaw!

Offline multiprim

Sawhorses, Yeehaw!
on: October 04, 2019, 09:36:22 AM
My old sawhorse set finally gave out, so I had to shop around. Some nice expensive sets out there, some really flimsy options.

Really, just wanted a basic set that could handle some weight, and could be folded & tucked away.

Settled on a couple of all metal sawhorses I found at Walmart. Most other similar models were about $40 more.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRONTIER-Steel-Adjustable-Height-and-Folding-Sawhorse/323714069

During my search, I did come across some nice deals on plastic sets, worth noting.

At the SearsOutlet:

Kingcraft 2-Pack Heavy-Duty Folding Sawhorse Set - $20.99
https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/kingcraft-2-pack-heavy-duty-folding-sawhorse-set/195851?uid=47617245

Kingcraft Twin Pack Sawhorses - $8.39
https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/kingcraft-twin-pack-sawhorses/19865

That $20.99 set is pretty much the same as a set on Amazon that goes for almost $35. And, the $8.39 can't be beat for just having it in your truck for quick jobs.

Even though I had already bought the metal set, I decided to pick up a couple of the $20.99 sets. I'm sure I'll have to loan out one of these sets from time to time. Saved on shipping by choosing to pick up at my local store.

:cheers:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Re: Sawhorses, Yeehaw!
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 10:55:59 AM
I always used Stanley plastic horses and never had trouble with them weight bearing. Most of the time used them with a large sheet of mdf  on top creating a workbench.

The great thing about plastic horses is if you accidentally catch them with a saw in use it won’t damage the saw.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 05:34:08 PM
I’ve always liked this style the best.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline multiprim

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 08:17:03 PM
The great thing about plastic horses is if you accidentally catch them with a saw in use it won’t damage the saw.
Very true.  :tu:

Offline multiprim

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 08:22:36 PM
I’ve always liked this style the best.
What's nice about brackets is you can make the wood any length/height you want.

Harbor Freight has them for about half the price.
https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-2-sawhorse-brackets-67163.html

For me, I prefer complete manufactured models capable of handling closer to or over 1K lbs. because they tend to serve well in other emergency situations, quicker to deploy and are more compact when not in use, and plastic models are lighter. There are heavier duty brackets, but those prices tend to match complete manufactured models which, again, are more compact when folded.

Years ago, I had a bracket pin break on me when I needed it most. I think the load was too heavy. Ended up putting a sawhorse together on-the-fly which held up well for the task. I think brackets are great for lighter loads, though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:43:56 PM by multiprim »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 10:24:46 PM

Offline multiprim

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 08:22:13 AM
Whoa! Here's an update on a sale I just came across, might be an error, but I jumped on it right away to see if it's good, order went through for two.

Toughbuilt C700 on sale at Walmart for $31.08! Everywhere I found this before, including Walmart, had them for $59+ each. Imo, this is like a Cadillac of sawhorses.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TOUGHBUILT-C700-Sawhorse-Jobsite-Table/728324653

This particular sawhorse had some features I really like, but couldn't see paying that much more for them.

At this price, I had to buy them.

Btw, pics from Amazon & Toughbuilt.
C700 1.jpg
* C700 1.jpg (Filesize: 74.38 KB)
C700 2.jpg
* C700 2.jpg (Filesize: 41.12 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 03:35:14 PM
So now you're collecting saw horses   ?       :D

Offline multiprim

Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 06:49:21 PM
So now you're collecting saw horses   ?       :D
Well, this special breed of horse doesn't eat much and... .

Actually, the C700s will be for my garage (man cave). Decided to keep the first metal set behind the seat of my pickup. One set of the plastic sets will be for neighborly loaning. My father-in-law gets the second set for Christmas (along with a few other items). He's older, so he'll appreciate the lighter weight of plastic.

Yeah, I didn't need the C700s after buying the others, but again, with some of those features, I had to have them. I could've cancelled some of my prior purchases, but with Christmas around the corner, considering the cheap price of the plastic sets, they make great gifts.

:D

Offline multiprim

Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 09:17:07 PM
Hey All,

My C700s came in today. Holy moly, they exceeded my expectations. Had another feature for beam height adjustment I hadn't noticed before. Almost too pretty to use, but they'll get used for sure.

My wife walked by as I was setting them up. When I showed her the features, she commented, so it's a multifunction sawhorse. That's why she's a keeper.

Honestly, they're worth the full price, but super happy I got them for the sale price. If this sale ever repeats, I very highly recommend jumping on these babies.

:woohoo:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99
PayPal Fees: $8.01
Net Balance: $134.98
Below Goal: $165.02
Site Currency: USD