Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Mighty Fine Screwdriver

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
The Mighty Fine Screwdriver
on: October 05, 2019, 11:20:55 PM
How many of you guys have found uses for and appreciate the fine screwdriver as pictured on my Champion? I just used it today to push a recessed plastic tab on a plug connector while I was working on my Jeep. I also find it useful for recessed flatheads! So who else loves this tool?
20191005_171807.jpg
* 20191005_171807.jpg (Filesize: 164.68 KB)
20191005_171817.jpg
* 20191005_171817.jpg (Filesize: 162.87 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: The Mighty Fine Screwdriver
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:28:05 AM
I've never used it. For years I didn't even know what it was! Almost all mine (used) have arrived with the tips twisted, suggesting that as a screwdriver it doesn't handle much torque; however, it's easily straightened. I'd only reserve it for screws in terminal blocks, if it fits. Still, I'd much rather have a twisted driver than damaged liners. I like that it works for you, though, and will bear your uses in mind. I hope there are more uses to come in this thread so I can come to love it, too.  :)
Rambler

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:30:08 AM
I've never used it. For years I didn't even know what it was! Almost all mine (used) have arrived with the tips twisted, suggesting that as a screwdriver it doesn't handle much torque; however, it's easily straightened. I'd only reserve it for screws in terminal blocks, if it fits. Still, I'd much rather have a twisted driver than damaged liners. I like that it works for you, though, and will bear your uses in mind. I hope there are more uses to come in this thread so I can come to love it, too.  :)
  Hey terminal block screws won't turn themselves! I just would like to point out that I think it is arguably more useful than the the back layer Philips! You can turn a Phillips with a flathead but you can't turn a flathead with a Phillips!
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 02:00:02 AM
I'm with Sawl.  I'm thrilled that you are using it Matt!  Good point about the flathead by the way :tu:
Barry

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 04:59:52 AM
I'm with Sawl.  I'm thrilled that you are using it Matt!  Good point about the flathead by the way :tu:
:hatsoff:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 03:18:22 PM
If it were in-line, like on some models sold in the 1960s and 1970s, it would be great. I actually tested the implement on a terminal, and found the body of the thick Craftsman got in the way. Plus, on some variations of those that did have the in-line fine screwdriver replacing the secondary blade, it's got a half-stop.

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 07:35:13 PM
I use the tool pretty often. It's my go-to for opening split rings - just push the tip in flat and rotate 90 degrees, then if you need to open it wider you have the curved profile making it smooth and easy:

Especially handy with the smaller split rings which are hell on the thumbnails if you try to do this manually:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 10:53:59 PM
Excellent idea!!
Barry

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 12:00:29 AM
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 02:28:02 AM
fillbreakfast, that's frikkin' brilliant. Split rings give me a headache every time.

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 03:11:01 AM
The split ring use alone now makes it one of the most underrated back layer tools lol :like:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 03:12:35 AM
Nice  :like:

us Offline TXSAK

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 04:41:34 AM
Great usage!

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 09:33:02 AM
Glad you liked the tip gents!

You have to be a bit careful when doing this because the ring can spring off the tool and fly across the room. But it still beats wrecked thumbnails.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 10:10:11 AM
For what it's worth, I found a niche use for the fine SD yesterday: opening a Lego train remote control. Due to the size and positioning of the screw, the fine SD was indeed the only tool on my Ranger that could get the job done. It's a pain to drive the screw with it though.
20191012_161126-1248x1664.jpg
* 20191012_161126-1248x1664.jpg (Filesize: 197.72 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 02:05:44 PM
For what it's worth, I found a niche use for the fine SD yesterday: opening a Lego train remote control. Due to the size and positioning of the screw, the fine SD was indeed the only tool on my Ranger that could get the job done. It's a pain to drive the screw with it though.

So... maybe an "actual" screwdriver would be thee best tool for that job...  :pok:   >:D   :angel:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 08:09:06 PM
So... maybe an "actual" screwdriver would be thee best tool for that job...  :pok:   >:D   :angel:

You mean, like, ... a real tool?
Philistine!  :twak:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 09:27:54 PM
When I modded one of my absolute favorite patterns, the Town and Country, which is basically an Explorer plus with a saw instead of those girly scissors, I had to decide on which back layer tool to include, the chisel vs. the fine screwdriver. It wasn't an easy decision as the chisel would be better suited to outdoorsy activity like carving wood but the fine SD better suited to mechanical tasks. I went with the fine SD and have never regretted it as it has come in handy numerous times.

:salute: to the Fine Screwdriver

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 01:01:02 AM
When I modded one of my absolute favorite patterns, the Town and Country, which is basically an Explorer plus with a saw instead of those girly scissors, I had to decide on which back layer tool to include, the chisel vs. the fine screwdriver. It wasn't an easy decision as the chisel would be better suited to outdoorsy activity like carving wood but the fine SD better suited to mechanical tasks. I went with the fine SD and have never regretted it as it has come in handy numerous times.

(Image removed from quote.)

:salute: to the Fine Screwdriver
:tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 08:18:59 AM
You mean, like, ... a real tool?
Philistine!  :twak:

:rofl:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%