Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm Serrated blade 6113

No Life Club Posts: 2,424
Re: 91mm Serrated blade
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2020, 07:18:31 PM »
Max, where do you find your serrated Recruits? I like the regular Recruit because it's more pocket friendly than the Spartan. I'm sort of after a used one and there don't seem to be many about. Here's the truly crazy thing: I actually have one ANIB whose virginity I just can't bring myself to ruin!  :ahhh

Ultimate mod fodder?  :P

Not sure if you were asking me or Max, but I found all of mine on the ‘bay. And from what I recall, none were inexpensive. Missed out on several over the years that just went for too much IMO.

I couldn’t bear to use one that’s MIB/NIB.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
Hero Member Posts: 808
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2020, 12:29:10 AM »
Not sure if you were asking me or Max, but I found all of mine on the ‘bay. And from what I recall, none were inexpensive. Missed out on several over the years that just went for too much IMO.

I couldn’t bear to use one that’s MIB/NIB.

I've seen them there, all especially unattractive because of our crappy exchange rate combined with shipping and tax. I don't need another that much!

Rambler
No Life Club Posts: 4,319 join The American Legion Family - since 1919
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2020, 04:19:41 AM »
I've seen them there, all especially unattractive because of our crappy exchange rate combined with shipping and tax. I don't need another that much!
MIB. ?  :think:

join KNIFE RIGHTS
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,796
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2020, 09:06:00 AM »
I guess mint in box?  :dunno:

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2020, 09:34:53 AM »

I reckon.

I really should just carry mine. I bought it as a user not a shelf queen.  ::) 

Rambler
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2020, 08:37:36 PM »
Yes and yes!

Things are already bad enough here getting charged sales tax on internet transactions.

I’d carry just not mod it.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2020, 01:58:23 AM »
yes Max duh

join KNIFE RIGHTS
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 01:55:56 AM »
...I have the serrated Spartan/Weekender - crazy sharp!
 And a Euro serrated black out OHO 111 but that stays home...Sentinal

join KNIFE RIGHTS
No Life Club Posts: 1,664
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 04:08:00 PM »
...I have the serrated Spartan/Weekender - crazy sharp!

:iagree: :cheers: :tu:

All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..
Full Member Posts: 142
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 04:52:33 PM »
I'm right handed, but I think the serrations are ground on the wrong side. If whittling wood, it bites into the wood too much and is harder to control. My Spyderco serrations on the proper side of the blade carve better, and when slicing bread, fruit, etc. it's also better control - the blade drifts outward from the cut with Spyderco's serrations. They are done right.

All this doesn't mean I don't like my Serrated Spartan. It's awesome. I touched it up on the Sharpmaker extra fine and a strop, and it's crazy sharp.

I really wish Victorinox would do a model with 2 large blades, one plain edge and one fully serrated, plus the opener tools layer and an awl.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,796
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2020, 07:12:38 AM »
They do :-)

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2020, 08:36:30 AM »
They do :-)

:rofl:

I'm right handed, but I think the serrations are ground on the wrong side. If whittling wood, it bites into the wood too much and is harder to control. My Spyderco serrations on the proper side of the blade carve better, and when slicing bread, fruit, etc. it's also better control - the blade drifts outward from the cut with Spyderco's serrations. They are done right.
I don’t carve wood, but I don’t agree about the cut for right handers. I find it far easier to cut straight the way Victorinox does their serrations. Food, paper, cardboard, soft plant material. 

All this doesn't mean I don't like my Serrated Spartan. It's awesome. I touched it up on the Sharpmaker extra fine and a strop, and it's crazy sharp.

Absolutely agree about the ease to keep them crazy sharp with the Sharpmaker. Mild repairs are also pretty easy. Fixed some used ones with mildly rolled/folded and dinged edges and Sharpmaker made pretty quick work of it. For chips and bad dings, I still go to diamond rounds and tapers first for rough shaping and localized smoothing.

I think one reason is that they’re sharpened at roughly 17 to 18° and with the ~3° taper at the deepest part of the blade it’s effectively a 20°-21° edge...if I’m doing all my math and measuring correctly and when the ‘chisel’ grind is retained. Easy to get hair popping sharp if it is.

Hero Member Posts: 849 The Yellow One
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »
I once bought a serrated Recruit (84mm) as a donor for an alox mod.

Say my name.
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
 :like: :cheers:

No Life Club Posts: 2,572
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2020, 03:59:25 PM »
The serrated Spartans are on Amazon US for dirt cheap. Around $16 IIRC

Are you still seeing these? I can't seem to find any.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,818
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2020, 04:06:39 PM »
They are still available. Got one a few weeks back.  :tu:
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2020, 07:54:15 PM »
They are still available. Got one a few weeks back.  :tu:

can I have a link please?

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
No Life Club Posts: 1,786
Full Member Posts: 216
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »
I like my Weekender

Phil ~  Awls Well That Ends Well :)
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2020, 10:20:47 PM »
The serrated blade is full of win! I like the serrated Spartan but prefer the serrated Recruit for being more pocketable and more comfortable in the hand.

With either Vic's fantastic pocket sharpener or a thin ceramic rod, the serrated blade is really easy to sharpen thanks to its even sized scallops, and it holds its edge longer than a plain one. There's for a tutorial on Youtube by Vic using the pocket sharpener.

Rambler
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,818
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2020, 02:12:17 AM »
can I have a link please?

Sorry, just now seeing this. Thanks Juan for providing the link!  :cheers:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,537 I'm blue!
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2020, 04:47:50 PM »
I like serrated blades (and woodsaws).

On the left the Green Hornet, a mod made for me by Magentus *, on the right the SwissBianco Carver SW.

* https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77228.0.html
Full Member Posts: 216
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »
 :like: :like:

On the left the Green Hornet, a mod made for me by Magentus *, on the right the SwissBianco Carver SW.

Phil ~  Awls Well That Ends Well :)
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »

:like: :cheers:

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2020, 06:17:55 PM »

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »
I see 1 left...

join KNIFE RIGHTS
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2020, 08:14:22 PM »
I see 1 left...

Ha, you're right, it was showing unavailable because they don't ship them out here. Oh well, saved by the bell. :D

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2020, 12:29:39 AM »
The serrated Spartan seems to a sporadically available US specific model. It's weird: 1. for the restricted market; 2. for why it it's not a regular variant; 3. that it's often hugely discounted.  ???

Rambler
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2020, 06:25:12 AM »
The serrated Spartan seems to a sporadically available US specific model. It's weird: 1. for the restricted market; 2. for why it it's not a regular variant; 3. that it's often hugely discounted.  ???

It's probably hugely discounted cause it doesn't sell, it's not a popular buy. That would explain the rest also.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $174.10
PayPal Fees: $10.10
Net Balance: $164.00
Below Goal: $136.00
Site Currency: USD
55%