Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK STACK 30 days challenge 2020 for Swisschamp, Cybertool & Toolchest

comis · 1431 · 27842

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Day 28

The legendary Eggsecutive.
IMG_20200428_213957-01.jpeg
* IMG_20200428_213957-01.jpeg (Filesize: 138.72 KB)

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Day 28

Last model for the last 3 days...What I had to say when I reviewed it for my 30 day challenge last year:

What has 15 layers, weighs 12.6oz (356g) and is 2.5in (65mm) wide? As it’s Day 30, you’ve probably guessed...the Swiss Champ XAVT.

This is the largest 91mm SAK in the current range, adding 4 layers to the already large XLT, and comfortably doubling the width of the Swiss Champ. It’s like you glued two Swiss Champs together!

Surely this is too large to use and carry? But people do. It has an oversized leather case for belt carry, and while you need to stretch to get your hand around it, the tools are usable. It’s just a little cumbersome and heavy in the hand. Victorinox market the XAVT as geared for collectors, and I guess they’re right.

So what’s added to make up the extra layers? As most people are familiar with the Swiss Champ, I’ll discuss what’s extra compared to this model.

First there’s the digital scale with LCD display. Then paired to the inline Phillips is a universal wrench, the design borrowed from Wenger. It has two bit drivers, with an extra 4 bits not found on the CyberTools. The LED is the new transparent housing version with a much brighter and usable LED. Then there’s the very nice large serrated blade. This is from ‘new old stock’ as it has the older crossbow logo on the tang. Paired to this blade is an inline awl, like those found on the Alox Pioneers. (This is my favourite layer on the XAVT).

There’s the short pruner, electrician’s blade and pharmaceutical spatula as found on the XLT. And just for good measure, there’s a combo tool and a watch case opener.

The back has two hooks, one with the nail file, and two 2.5mm drivers. Along with what you’d expect, such as corkscrew (plus mini screwdriver), awl and chisel. The bottom scale houses the tweezers, toothpick, pen and pin...the same scales as found on the Traveler and other digital SAKs.

The total count of functions varies depending on where you look, between 80 and 83. Compare this to 33 for the Swiss Champ and 50 for the CyberTool L and you get and idea of just how impressive this monster really is.

But there’s some tool duplication, so a re-count of actual functions, with less creative license, tops out at 70. Still very impressive!

1. Toothpick
2. Tweezers
3. Pressurized Ballpoint Pen
4. Stainless Steel Pin
5. Thermometer (C/F)
6. Digital Watch (12h/24h)
7. Alarm
8. Countdown Timer
9. Stopwatch
10. Altimeter (m/ft)
11. Barometric trend graph
12. Reamer/Punch/Sewing Awl
13. Can Opener (standard & combo tool)
14. Screwdriver 3mm (on Can Opener)
15. Bottle Opener (standard & combo tool)
16. Wire Stripper (x2)
17. Screwdriver 6mm   (on Bottle Opener)
18. Key Ring
19. Universal Wrench M3/M4/M5*
20. Inline Phillips Screwdriver 1/2
21. Magnifying Glass
22. Pliers
23. Wire Cutter
24. Wire Crimper
25. Fish Scaler
26. Hook Disgorger
27. Ruler (cm/inches)
28. Multipurpose Hook (x2)
29. Small Nail file (on one Multipurpose Hook)
30. Large Blade w/Serrated Edge
31. Inline Reamer/Punch*
32. Wood Saw
33. Scissors
34. Screwdriver 2.5mm (x2)
35. Pruning Blade
36. Electrician's Blade
37. Wire Scraper
38. Pharmaceutical Spatula
39. Watch Opener*
40. Screwdriver 5mm (on Combo Tool)
41. Nail File
42. Nail Cleaner
43. Metal Saw
44. Metal File
45. Chisel 4mm
46. Large Blade
47. Small Blade
48. Bit Slotted 3mm*
49. Bit Slotted 4mm*
50. Bit Torx 6*
51. Bit Torx 8*
52. Bit Hex 1,2*
53. Bit Hex 1,5*
54. Bit Hex 2*
55. Bit Hex 2,5*
56. Bit Slotted 4mm
57. Phillips Bit 2
58. Phillips Bit 0 (Pozidrive)
59. Phillips Bit 1 (Pozidrive)
60. Torx Bit 10
61. Torx Bit 15
62. Hex Bit 4
63. Torx Bit 8
64. Bit Case (x2)
65. 4mm Bitwrench (x2)
66. Female Hex drive 5mm for D-SUB Connectors (x2)
67. Female Hex Drive 4mm for Bits (x2)
68. LED
69. Mini Screwdriver
70. Corkscrew

Pros:
- The ultimate expression of a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife
- Several tools that are unique to the XAVT in the 91mm range (*)
- A fantastic reference to all the 91mm tools that are available

Cons:
- Not really intended for EDC
- Super-wide width and extra weight make some tools difficult to use
- Very expensive

Bottom line:
The XAVT is an incredible SAK. Victorinox went out of their way to include not only every current tool in the 91mm range, but to even include tools borrowed from different ranges. Some may see it as a monstrosity, but it’s really a superb technical demonstration of what’s possible from Victorinox. I love it.  :cheers:

Well, Max, you’ve definitely taken it to the max! Great write up too! :hatsoff:

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
@Max The XAVT is really overkill but also very cool. One day I'll also buy one of those monsters.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Thanks Rizio, ulzhan  :hatsoff:
I think the engineers at Victorinox must have had fun designing it.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
DAY 28

Got soaked at work more than once today.  Was glad to finally get indoors.   Had a bit of spare time at the end of the day and used the toothpick to clean around the nose pieces on my glasses and the tiny screwdriver to tighten the hinges a little bit.   (Usually this is my tool for pushing in the tiny reset buttons on equipment.) 
SAKSTACKDay28.jpg
* SAKSTACKDay28.jpg (Filesize: 40.8 KB)
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Day 28
Today the Swiss Champ failed me and I had to resort to a purpose built tool. :facepalm:
SAK stack 2020 28.JPG
* SAK stack 2020 28.JPG (Filesize: 97.86 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Day 28

Finished the camera strap today. The leather is still a little stiff, but it will get smooth pretty quickly once I use it.
For the next project I think I will make a mounting strap, so I can attach the camera to my backpack. Not sure yet how to do it, might be some trial and error needed  :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Day 28

Uses since the last post - scissors to open a packet of food, awl to open a parcel that contained other food...

You knew it had to happen though

Corkscrew ///
Phillips \
IMG_3104.jpg
* IMG_3104.jpg (Filesize: 85.13 KB)

us Offline cody6268

DAY 28. Cut shavings bag with main blade. 

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

Day 28

Finished the camera strap today. The leather is still a little stiff, but it will get smooth pretty quickly once I use it.
For the next project I think I will make a mounting strap, so I can attach the camera to my backpack. Not sure yet how to do it, might be some trial and error needed  :cheers:
Looks Awesome!    :like:   That is one handsome camera strap!
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

DAY 28 bonus

My emerald scales showed up to replace the ruby ones I tried to put glow paint in on my CT-34.   I had just enough paint to do this, and on the emerald plus scales you can only do the shield side as the plus version is solid on the back.  Turned out ok.  I must have missed a couple tiny spots that look darker, but overall still glows bright for a short while, and then medium for a nice long time.  I'm happy with it.  Can't wait to start putting this CT to use now!
Cybertool34Emerald.JPG
* Cybertool34Emerald.JPG (Filesize: 81.92 KB)
Cybertool34Emeraldb.JPG
* Cybertool34Emeraldb.JPG (Filesize: 5.39 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Day 28

Battery change, awl to the rescue (again)
I am used to seeing many AG15 batteries used for small electronics, and only until recent years, I realized there were just so many variation sizes of button battery that's not even funny.

Day 28 of 30

Blade was used today to tear plastic, my utility blade was out of blades and last blade snapped while was cutting it. Luckily i had SwissChamp with me so it handeled job easily.

(Image removed from quote.)

Only Tools Matters
Good use! :tu:

Day 28

Last model for the last 3 days...What I had to say when I reviewed it for my 30 day challenge last year:

What has 15 layers, weighs 12.6oz (356g) and is 2.5in (65mm) wide? As it’s Day 30, you’ve probably guessed...the Swiss Champ XAVT.

This is the largest 91mm SAK in the current range, adding 4 layers to the already large XLT, and comfortably doubling the width of the Swiss Champ. It’s like you glued two Swiss Champs together!

The XAVT is an incredible SAK. Victorinox went out of their way to include not only every current tool in the 91mm range, but to even include tools borrowed from different ranges. Some may see it as a monstrosity, but it’s really a superb technical demonstration of what’s possible from Victorinox. I love it.  :cheers:
Always love reading your reviews on different SAKs, I still remembered your challenge attracted such a large following that was amazing.  It's a shame Victorinox did not hire your for their advertising team. :like: :like: :like:

Day 28

The legendary Eggsecutive.
Eggsecubeater? :pok: :D

DAY 28

Got soaked at work more than once today.  Was glad to finally get indoors.   Had a bit of spare time at the end of the day and used the toothpick to clean around the nose pieces on my glasses and the tiny screwdriver to tighten the hinges a little bit.   (Usually this is my tool for pushing in the tiny reset buttons on equipment.) 
Reset button pushing is really one of the favorite use of the mini screwdriver too. :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Day 28
Today the Swiss Champ failed me and I had to resort to a purpose built tool. :facepalm:
That is totally on my bucket list :o , but I have just recently started wet shaving with a safety razor(after decades of electric shaving), still a pretty long way to learn my way to knife shaving. :facepalm:

Day 28

Great job!  The vibrant red stitching looks sharp on this! :like:

Still can't enlarge it to see... :ahhh

DAY 28 bonus

My emerald scales showed up to replace the ruby ones I tried to put glow paint in on my CT-34.   I had just enough paint to do this, and on the emerald plus scales you can only do the shield side as the plus version is solid on the back.  Turned out ok.  I must have missed a couple tiny spots that look darker, but overall still glows bright for a short while, and then medium for a nice long time.  I'm happy with it.  Can't wait to start putting this CT to use now!
:like: Looks good!  I think the darker spot may not be your workmanship, sometimes it's possible to get dud particles or larger grain in the paint/mix, and it may look darker or brighter.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Thank you, CraftsmanSAK and Comis, I had a lot of fun doing this project!  :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Day 28

Very nice job.  Beautiful strap.

us Offline Sos24

Day 28

It happens sometimes, but you were brave to try.

Day 28

Uses since the last post - scissors to open a packet of food, awl to open a parcel that contained other food...

You knew it had to happen though

Corkscrew ///
Phillips \

Hope the wine was good

Nice pic and use

DAY 28 bonus

Very cool job. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Day 29

Wenger S54 attended mail duty today, and this challenge surely gone by fast!  I remembered having some heated debates with fellow Scouts about whether Wenger was authentic SAK, though it was many decades ago, it sometime felt like it just happened yesterday.

• No Life Club
SirVicaLot- great strap, that turned out fantastically! Love those emerald GID scales, CraftsmanSAK! :like: :like:

Day 29

Got back from an early morning ride and noticed that the arm on my cycling specs was loose - SC’s mini driver to the rescue! At least it wasn’t raining yet!

us Offline Sos24

Sos24 - can’t wait to see the finished product from your new jig - blue and green, my favourite colour combo!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
SirVicaLot- great strap, that turned out fantastically! Love those emerald GID scales, CraftsmanSAK! :like: :like:

Day 29

Got back from an early morning ride and noticed that the arm on my cycling specs was loose - SC’s mini driver to the rescue! At least it wasn’t raining yet!

Good use!

Wow, you finished this so lightning quick:

us Offline Sos24

Good use!

Wow, you finished this so lightning quick:

Thanks. :cheers:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
DAY 29

Some nice Rangers  :hatsoff:
DAY29-rangers.jpg
* DAY29-rangers.jpg (Filesize: 194.16 KB)
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

DAY 29

Little blade pulling package duty this morning.  Got this cheap 3L ultrasonic cleaner for doing carb rebuilds.  (I'm sure it's going to see its share of knife rehabs as well  ;)  ) 
SAKSTACKDay29.JPG
* SAKSTACKDay29.JPG (Filesize: 58.2 KB)

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

You're really good at making those.   That pooch gets to be part of the bug out kit just gettin dressed! 

• No Life Club
Sos24 - That looks amazing! :like: :like:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
DAY 29

Some nice Rangers  :hatsoff:
Nice!

DAY 29

Little blade pulling package duty this morning.  Got this cheap 3L ultrasonic cleaner for doing carb rebuilds.  (I'm sure it's going to see its share of knife rehabs as well  ;)  ) 
Knife cleaning--that's my first thought came in mind :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Just submitted another batch of our participants' photos to April Nomination before it close...Good luck everyone! :hatsoff:

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
Day 29

While some noodles were cooking I needed those Italian herbs. They come in a plastic box which needs to be opened for the first time. Don't like those plastic stubs which won't go off easily. That's a job for the more ore less mighty pliers.

IMG_20200429_190341-01.jpeg
* IMG_20200429_190341-01.jpeg (Filesize: 126.02 KB)

us Offline Sos24

You're really good at making those.   That pooch gets to be part of the bug out kit just gettin dressed!
Thanks.  Yes he does.  Between harness and leash there is over 200ft of paracord.

Sos24 - That looks amazing! :like: :like:
Thanks. :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Day 29

While some noodles were cooking I needed those Italian herbs. They come in a plastic box which needs to be opened for the first time. Don't like those plastic stubs which won't go off easily. That's a job for the more ore less mighty pliers.

Good use.  The SAK pliers can be useful, despite them being too small for many tasks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%