Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK STACK 30 days challenge 2020 for Swisschamp, Cybertool & Toolchest 18852

No Life Club Posts: 1,944

Ivo be

Re: SAK STACK 30 days challenge 2020 for Swisschamp, Cybertool & Toolchest
« Reply #1380 on: May 01, 2020, 12:42:53 PM »
Badges awarded to: Ivo, SVL, RIG, EBe and AlK.   :cheers:

Thanks zoidberg  :woohoo:

The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,406
« Reply #1381 on: May 01, 2020, 01:25:36 PM »

The little giveaway for the STACK challenge is actually a brand new 91mm Mountaineer, this model has been my EDC for many years and thanks again for everyone participating! :cheers:

And here is the lucky draw and the winner. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWF7kt4uU4

Please support and donate to the forum and get a MTO 15th anniversary free magnet!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
Hero Member Posts: 971
« Reply #1382 on: May 01, 2020, 01:40:19 PM »
Day 30

For nostalgic reasons I opened a parcel with the small blade.  It's my favorite and most used tool on the Champ.  Normally none of the SAKs that I carry - Compact, PioneerX, Soldier - don't have a small blade.  I've had a few traditional folders, and the small blade on those always felt right to me. Even before, and well after those days, I have found the small blade on the 91mm models to be the right tool for a lot of jobs. 

:SAKnight:

Over the last month, I have been keeping track of how many times I use the Phillips or the Corkscrew - to try to answer the age-old question.  Which is more useful.
This was a bit of an unusual month, to say the least.  I didn't go outdoors, or do the things I normally would.  That said, I expected to use the corkscrew more - and indeed I did.  I use the corkscrew for non-cork related things in general.  this month I opened two jars, and a bottle of wine.  Opening jars was a recent discovery for me, courtesy of MTo, and it's worked great.  I'll have wine with the appropriate sort of meal on occasion, usually with friends in unexpected places, and so it does come in handy for that too.  If I'm honest though, the corkscrew frustrates me since it doesn't have a lever arm like "modern" or dedicated ones do. I've considered getting a LM Juice or a Gerber Armbar Cork for that reason, but the trade off doesn't seem worth it.  For now I'll just grunt and sweat, and stabilize the bottle between my knees, pulling with all my might.  The scene usually turns my friends off to the idea of sharing the wine, and there's plenty more for me

Corkscrew ///
Phillips \

One word: Winemaster!
« Reply #1383 on: May 01, 2020, 01:49:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
The little giveaway for the STACK challenge is actually a brand new 91mm Mountaineer, this model has been my EDC for many years and thanks again for everyone participating! :cheers:

I don't wanna spoil, so I won't name the person I am hereby congratulating! (spoiler: it's not yours truly)
« Reply #1384 on: May 01, 2020, 01:50:24 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Very generous of you, Comis! I was on the edge of my seat during the draw. :hatsoff:
No Life Club Posts: 2,864
« Reply #1385 on: May 01, 2020, 02:18:39 PM »
 :SAKnight: :SAKnight:
Swiss Army Knights -- The Great Backspring Tool Conundrum
How many times did you use the Corkscrew (CS) or the Phillips Screwdriver (PSD) during the challenge?

I hope I listed everyone in the challenge here.  I filled in a few tallies when I was able to see them easily, and will try to update slowly as I can go through all the posts.  If you'd like, please fill yours in

Sos24,

Max,

Alan

Antti Lammi,

Ulzhan,

Comis CS-1, PSD-3

SirVicaLot CS-2, PSD-5

Simon_Templar

Rizio II Ghiro,

CraftsmanSAK,

ElevenBlade CS-3, PSD-1

Ivo
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,818
« Reply #1386 on: May 01, 2020, 03:24:55 PM »
Badges awarded to: Ivo, SVL, RIG, EBe and AlK.   :cheers:

Thank you, Mr Z.!  :cheers:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,818
« Reply #1387 on: May 01, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »
Congrats
Show content
sos24
on winning the Mountaineer!  :cheers:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,785
« Reply #1388 on: May 01, 2020, 03:38:11 PM »
Badges awarded to: Sos and comis.   :cheers:
Oops, forgot to request my badge too!  :cheers:

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.
« Reply #1389 on: May 01, 2020, 03:56:52 PM »

I hope I listed everyone in the challenge here. 

Wait, you're missing Cody!  :pok:

Swiss Army Knights -- The Great Backspring Tool Conundrum by ElevenBlade
How many times did you use the Corkscrew (CS) or the Phillips Screwdriver (PSD) during the challenge?

Sos24,

Max,

Alan

Antti Lammi,

Ulzhan,

Comis CS-1, PSD-3

SirVicaLot CS-2, PSD-5

Simon_Templar

Rizio II Ghiro,

CraftsmanSAK,

ElevenBlade CS-3, PSD-1

Ivo

Cody6268

Please support and donate to the forum and get a MTO 15th anniversary free magnet!
No Life Club Posts: 3,529
« Reply #1390 on: May 01, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »
I did use 3 times phillips and i dont recall using corkscrew for anything during this challenge, tho i used it today with miniscrewdriver in it.

Only Tools Matters
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,011
« Reply #1391 on: May 01, 2020, 04:27:20 PM »
Wait, you're missing Cody!  :pok:

Sos24,

Max,

Alan

Antti Lammi,

Ulzhan,

Comis CS-1, PSD-3

SirVicaLot CS-2, PSD-5

Simon_Templar

Rizio II Ghiro,

CraftsmanSAK,

ElevenBlade CS-3, PSD-1

Ivo

Cody6268

Corkscrew twice, by only in deployment of the fine screwdriver stored onboard.  Phillips, twice. The big slotted driver, can opener SSD and back technician driver, once each. 
« Reply #1392 on: May 01, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »
Sorry Cody....   :oops:

I'd definitely count the small SD as a Corkscrew use.  It's an excellent reason to have the Corkscrew on board.... if you know you're more likely to use the small SD instead of the Phillips,

Sos24,

Max,

Alan

Antti Lammi, CS-1, PSD-3

Ulzhan,

Comis CS-1, PSD-3

SirVicaLot CS-2, PSD-5

Simon_Templar

Rizio II Ghiro,

CraftsmanSAK,

ElevenBlade CS-3, PSD-1

Ivo

Cody6268  CS-1, PSD-2
No Life Club Posts: 2,541
« Reply #1393 on: May 01, 2020, 06:50:02 PM »
Sorry Cody....   :oops:

I'd definitely count the small SD as a Corkscrew use.  It's an excellent reason to have the Corkscrew on board.... if you know you're more likely to use the small SD instead of the Phillips,

Sos24,

Max,

Alan

Antti Lammi, CS-1, PSD-3

Ulzhan,

Comis CS-1, PSD-3

SirVicaLot CS-2, PSD-5

Simon_Templar

Rizio II Ghiro,

CraftsmanSAK,

ElevenBlade CS-3, PSD-1

Ivo

Cody6268  CS-1, PSD-2

I used the CS 2x, and the mini screwdriver 2x - only used Philips via bitdriver on CT34 1x

Congratulations to the giveaway winner (no spoiling from me either)! :cheers: :cheers:
« Reply #1394 on: May 01, 2020, 07:16:00 PM »

Sos24,

Max,

Alan

Antti Lammi, CS-1, PSD-3

Ulzhan,

Comis CS-1, PSD-3

SirVicaLot CS-2, PSD-5

Simon_Templar

Rizio II Ghiro, CS-4, PSD-1

CraftsmanSAK,

ElevenBlade CS-3, PSD-1

Ivo

Cody6268  CS-1, PSD-2
Global Moderator Point Of No Return Posts: 36,861
« Reply #1395 on: May 01, 2020, 10:55:07 PM »
Oops, forgot to request my badge too!  :cheers:

If you want the badge please submit the request.   :pok:
Sr. Member Posts: 479 Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
« Reply #1396 on: May 01, 2020, 10:55:43 PM »

I didn't keep track of exactly how many times I used each, but I'm guessing I used the corkscrew once maybe twice, but the Phillips was used quite a bit on battery doors, electronic equipment, etc...  They both have their place and time when I'm glad I have 'em.   Although - I'm now waiting on the Champion to be repaired where I broke off the tip of the corkscrew.   :-\

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.
« Reply #1397 on: May 01, 2020, 10:55:56 PM »
Badge awarded to: CraftsmanSAK.   :cheers:
Sr. Member Posts: 479 Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
« Reply #1398 on: May 01, 2020, 11:05:52 PM »
Badge awarded to: CraftsmanSAK.   :cheers:
Thank you, zoidberg!

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,011
« Reply #1399 on: May 02, 2020, 04:25:21 AM »
@ElevenBlade  Thank you for the write up!  SC was a generous gift to me since young, and it too has been everywhere with me for most of my life.  Though my days for camping is far and few in between, I would love to bring it along next time to experience the joy of using it once again. :like:

For myself, here is the usage during the challenge:
corkscrew: /
phillips: / / /

No better way to end a challenge, cheers! :drink:

That's an interesting conclusion, a new found love for 91mm pliers? :climber:

Especially now that I'm back into model trains, big time. Regular MT pliers don't work too well; most keychain pliers (aside from the LM Squirt EL; which I'm also finding handy with this job due to having small electrical strippers instead of pliers) have undersized tools, but the SAK pliers are robust for harder pulling, and are small and long enough to fit anywhere I need them to. The CT34's driver doesn't really fit anything Marklin has, so I figure shaving that layer off will make it a bit easier to just have a Deluxe Tinker in my pocket. The CT41  I've wanted for ages. Seems Marklin isn't of much interest to US enthusiasts, so for about the price of a starter set ($125 or so, by my math), I have two locomotives (one works fine, other screams like a banshee; not sure what's going on), 3 coaches, 3 boxcars (including one for beer; which I use as an example to my folks that trains aren't necessarily a kid's thing; and Marklin loves to do beer cars), a flat car, a gondola, a wreck crane, a huge amount of track, and some other accessories (my last lot included some trees, as well as some lights I learned I can't wire to my existing transformer),  . But that doesn't include the transformer I bought years ago, and now I'm bidding on a more powerful transformer that can support a big layout, switches, decouplers, and basically anything I need.
« Reply #1400 on: May 02, 2020, 06:13:40 AM »
Especially now that I'm back into model trains, big time. Regular MT pliers don't work too well; most keychain pliers (aside from the LM Squirt EL; which I'm also finding handy with this job due to having small electrical strippers instead of pliers) have undersized tools, but the SAK pliers are robust for harder pulling, and are small and long enough to fit anywhere I need them to. The CT34's driver doesn't really fit anything Marklin has, so I figure shaving that layer off will make it a bit easier to just have a Deluxe Tinker in my pocket. The CT41  I've wanted for ages. Seems Marklin isn't of much interest to US enthusiasts, so for about the price of a starter set ($125 or so, by my math), I have two locomotives (one works fine, other screams like a banshee; not sure what's going on), 3 coaches, 3 boxcars (including one for beer; which I use as an example to my folks that trains aren't necessarily a kid's thing; and Marklin loves to do beer cars), a flat car, a gondola, a wreck crane, a huge amount of track, and some other accessories (my last lot included some trees, as well as some lights I learned I can't wire to my existing transformer),  . But that doesn't include the transformer I bought years ago, and now I'm bidding on a more powerful transformer that can support a big layout, switches, decouplers, and basically anything I need.

I didn't use the pliers on the SAK for the challenge...  But thinking about it during the month,  I can certainly see them coming in handy where you just need a little extra grip to unfasten or pull where your fingertips just aren't cutting it.   It actually made me re-think my keychain carry - maybe swap out the LM Micra for a Gerber Dime since the SAK scissors on my main carry are better than either one of those. 
« Reply #1401 on: May 02, 2020, 06:16:50 AM »
Badge awarded to: cody6268.   :cheers:
« Reply #1402 on: May 02, 2020, 06:53:53 AM »
I have a high school friend long, long time ago who was into railroad modeling, and I did recall Marklin was one of the brands he would go to.  The attention to details is absolutely amazing, and with that much tracks, trees, lights and even the crane, I bet you probably could build a set that could rival most toy store display.

@ElevenBlade, my prediction of of phillips vs corkscrew is that--most folks will probably see more use for inline phillips, if both are presented in the same chassis. 
But if given the choice to choose between the two, the past surveys did show more people would favor corkscrew.  It is an interesting phenomenon, and even I used more phillips in this challenge, I too would probably still favor corkscrew.  Because I might be able to get by with a can opener for impromptu phillips job 50% of the time, but without the corkscrew, it's a total party pooping situation.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,021
« Reply #1403 on: May 02, 2020, 07:06:26 AM »
Elevenblade

I used the corkscrew 1 and phillips 5.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,021
« Reply #1404 on: May 02, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »
Badges awarded to: Sos and comis.   :cheers:

Thanks.
No Life Club Posts: 1,244 The Spirit of Central Asia
« Reply #1405 on: May 02, 2020, 12:09:35 PM »
@sos24 Congratulations to the give-away!
Just Bananas Posts: 76,224
« Reply #1406 on: May 02, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
Excellent challenge everyone very enjoyable  :like: :tu:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
« Reply #1407 on: May 02, 2020, 02:56:54 PM »
I have a high school friend long, long time ago who was into railroad modeling, and I did recall Marklin was one of the brands he would go to.  The attention to details is absolutely amazing, and with that much tracks, trees, lights and even the crane, I bet you probably could build a set that could rival most toy store display.

@ElevenBlade, my prediction of of phillips vs corkscrew is that--most folks will probably see more use for inline phillips, if both are presented in the same chassis. 
But if given the choice to choose between the two, the past surveys did show more people would favor corkscrew.  It is an interesting phenomenon, and even I used more phillips in this challenge, I too would probably still favor corkscrew.  Because I might be able to get by with a can opener for impromptu phillips job 50% of the time, but without the corkscrew, it's a total party pooping situation.

Indeed it's a bit of a false equivalence, because we have the in-line Phillips, which folks like better than the backspring varietal.   But like you, I'm a sucker for data and this seemed like a good opportunity.   :drink:
« Reply #1408 on: May 02, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »

Sos24, CS-1. PSD-5

Max,

Alan

Antti Lammi, CS-1, PSD-3

Ulzhan,

Comis CS-1, PSD-3

SirVicaLot CS-2, PSD-5

Simon_Templar

Rizio II Ghiro, CS-4, PSD-1

CraftsmanSAK,

ElevenBlade CS-3, PSD-1

Ivo

Cody6268  CS-1, PSD-2
No Life Club Posts: 1,244 The Spirit of Central Asia
« Reply #1409 on: May 02, 2020, 03:00:19 PM »
Did not use the corkscrew at all while the challenge lasted. Is that strange?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $96.10
PayPal Fees: $5.60
Net Balance: $90.50
Below Goal: $209.50
Site Currency: USD
30%