Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fieldmaster February

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Fieldmaster February
Reply #1770 on: March 01, 2020, 09:24:18 PM
kamakiri Day 30:

Nice 60 pages of The Fieldmaster February Challenge!

Thanks Barry for hosting the challenge and letting me include the 84mm variants of the toolset!  :cheers:

Thanks to the fellow knights participating  :SAKnight: it’s been a pleasure to hear your uses and see your daily pics!  :tu:

It has certainly proven to me why this toolset has been in continuous production since at least the early ‘50s. And it also shows me why I typically prefer to have larger knives and a few more features. Mainly the metal saw, but also pliers and in-line Phillips. Could also have used a pen about three times this month.

I do think I’ll carry the circuit scaled FM more and it will stay in rotation instead of being put away.

Not expecting much use today as it’s Sunday and raining out. So here’s a closing shot with my FM and 136x variant Challengers.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
Reply #1771 on: March 01, 2020, 09:28:46 PM
Not expecting much use today as it’s Sunday and raining out. So here’s a closing shot with my FM and 136x variant Challengers.

Very nice!   :like: :tu:
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #1772 on: March 01, 2020, 09:38:25 PM
 :iagree: :like:
Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1773 on: March 01, 2020, 10:15:42 PM
Day 30
Back out and about for the last day
It’s been a very fun first challenge, thanks again Barry. It’s been great reading all the posts (albeit trying to keep up at times!) My FM went in with a spa then received scales part way through which got scarred the first week on. After today as always the FM will be carried but adding my Soldier to my front pocket. The FM is going to become the really dirty user, no food prep unless thoroughly cleaned
Thanks everyone! It was great!
(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice photo

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1774 on: March 01, 2020, 10:16:23 PM
kamakiri Day 30:

Thanks Barry for hosting the challenge and letting me include the 84mm variants of the toolset!  :cheers:

Thanks to the fellow knights participating  :SAKnight: it’s been a pleasure to hear your uses and see your daily pics!  :tu:

It has certainly proven to me why this toolset has been in continuous production since at least the early ‘50s. And it also shows me why I typically prefer to have larger knives and a few more features. Mainly the metal saw, but also pliers and in-line Phillips. Could also have used a pen about three times this month.

I do think I’ll carry the circuit scaled FM more and it will stay in rotation instead of being put away.

Nice collection.

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #1775 on: March 01, 2020, 10:26:19 PM
Nice photo
Thank you Sos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #1776 on: March 01, 2020, 10:45:36 PM
30 days of FieldMaster reflection -

This is the first time carrying a 4 layer SAK.

Besides my Vagabond, which I normally EDC, accept this month, I use a Farmer for its tools, including a saw. A Pioneer, for many simple tasks. A Climber for a good functional knife set including a scissors and cork screw, each implement, handy for many purposes.  Or, my OHT for camp kitchen duties, including its saw for fire kindling.

The Hook and Saw were not utilized by me this challenge. I have found the SAK saw very capable for cutting plastic conduit when I was working and prepping wiring runs, and in current job repairing drain pipes for plumbing repairs on pool filters or monitoring lines.

The FMstr’s backside Phillips is functional on same same type screws, but often to short for my needs, when the Can opener trip work as well in line. 

The scissors are great, but without a nail file on board, not practical for nail grooming.

The FieldMaster does the job and then some, just as any SAK. 

Yet, having the right tool in hand is important, my brightest moment with the FieldMaster was utilizing the TWEEZERS to remove and apply decals on my 6 yo grandson’s new FastnFurious car from McDonalds, my fat fingers would have not done the job themselves.

Huntsman with its Corkscrew may get my nod over the FMstr if a 4 layer would be my chosen tool. 

I will add, that I do like utilizing my Rebar(s), and a pocket knife is paired to it when selecting my EDC any given day. 

With this being said, I will be also moving onto the March Madness Challenge with a new Spirit that I have NEVER used, only admired.  So Rebar(s) will be put away as I carry on...

Great job everyone, thank you Barry for assembling this team of users and RapidRay, Comis, and SOS24 for being consistent CHEERLEADERS!!!

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1777 on: March 01, 2020, 11:35:20 PM
 :iagree: :cheers:
Barry

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1778 on: March 02, 2020, 12:05:30 AM
It is interesting to read the closing thoughts after a challenge, especially from people who do not frequently carry the tool that was part of the challenge.

I entered this challenge, knowing I liked the Fieldmaster and having carried it in the past.  I also knew that I had moved on to the Yeoman being more my primary carry SAK and that was affirmed as the right toolset for me. 

This challenge did confirm that even though the FM has the back side phillips and the can opener which can also be used as a phillips, the inline phillips is still the best.

The saw, I do use but for me it is not really a necessity day-to-day.  Usually when I’m looking for a saw, I am at home where I have plenty of options.  When I travel to rural areas, I do like the saw but that isn’t that often.

The backside phillips vs corkscrew is in something that is more a wash, usually.  I didn’t miss the corkscrew during this challenge.  I did use the backside phillips a couple times, but then I also had at least one instance where the backside phillips didn’t work.  Where I really miss the backside phillips is the Compact, because you do not have the can opener tip to use.  That is where I really wish I had a backside phillips yet it isn’t an option.

Another observance was how much I miss the magnifying glass.  Maybe it is because of getting a little older but I really appreciate the magnifying glass and end up missing it when I don’t have it.  I even have a cheap credit card size fresnal lens I keep in my pocket organizer, but just tend to go for the SAK one more.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1779 on: March 02, 2020, 02:08:32 AM
That mag glass is something that I really missed too Sherry.  It's just a nice option to have.  The Yeoman is where I'm finding my happy spot right now.  At one point in my life, having the corkscrew and using it for its primary purpose was a much bigger deal than now.  Nowadays, I spend more time in the woods hiking and camping than I do in a social setting involving wine.  The corkscrew comes into its own for me untying tight knots.  I actually went the better part of 20 years before I used the saw on my Huntsman, but once I did, I loved it.
Barry

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1780 on: March 02, 2020, 02:13:40 AM
Day 30
Some basic use but wanted to end the challenge with a glamour shot.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1781 on: March 02, 2020, 02:14:01 AM
Day 30 Bonus Pic:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1782 on: March 02, 2020, 02:14:39 AM
Day 30
Some basic use but wanted to end the challenge with a glamour shot.

Nice! Guess we had the same idea  :D

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1783 on: March 02, 2020, 02:15:20 AM

That's probably the first time I seeing Fisher showing his EDC, did he say anything about his EDC? :D

Hope you'd feel better and get a solid night of sleep.

He acted like he could have cared less it was there, which kind of surprised me.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1784 on: March 02, 2020, 02:16:55 AM
Great pics!
Barry

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #1785 on: March 02, 2020, 04:30:43 AM
DAY 30

:woohoo: nice challenge everyone! I'll finish with a pic of the completed spoon carving :multi:
IMG_20200301_222902.jpg
* IMG_20200301_222902.jpg (Filesize: 260.01 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #1786 on: March 02, 2020, 04:31:33 AM
It is interesting to read the closing thoughts after a challenge, especially from people who do not frequently carry the tool that was part of the challenge.

I entered this challenge, knowing I liked the Fieldmaster and having carried it in the past.  I also knew that I had moved on to the Yeoman being more my primary carry SAK and that was affirmed as the right toolset for me. 

This challenge did confirm that even though the FM has the back side phillips and the can opener which can also be used as a phillips, the inline phillips is still the best.

The saw, I do use but for me it is not really a necessity day-to-day.  Usually when I’m looking for a saw, I am at home where I have plenty of options.  When I travel to rural areas, I do like the saw but that isn’t that often.

The backside phillips vs corkscrew is in something that is more a wash, usually.  I didn’t miss the corkscrew during this challenge.  I did use the backside phillips a couple times, but then I also had at least one instance where the backside phillips didn’t work.  Where I really miss the backside phillips is the Compact, because you do not have the can opener tip to use.  That is where I really wish I had a backside phillips yet it isn’t an option.

Another observance was how much I miss the magnifying glass.  Maybe it is because of getting a little older but I really appreciate the magnifying glass and end up missing it when I don’t have it.  I even have a cheap credit card size fresnal lens I keep in my pocket organizer, but just tend to go for the SAK one more.
I like how you point out the weakness in backside phillips. As handy as it is having a #2 phillips on deck, I've noticed it can't grab like the inline can (as noted somewheres on this forum before). Also due to design I found myself using the FM phillips to initially loosen but then migrate to the can opener to unthread the fastener. 

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #1787 on: March 02, 2020, 04:32:12 AM
DAY 30

:woohoo: nice challenge everyone! I'll finish with a pic of the completed spoon carving :multi:
Very nice Spartan! :tu:

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #1788 on: March 02, 2020, 04:34:00 AM
Great pics Sos and SirVic :hatsoff: :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1789 on: March 02, 2020, 04:43:32 AM
DAY 30

Wow, that is awesome work  :tu: :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1790 on: March 02, 2020, 05:32:54 AM
Very nice Noah!!  You'll have to show the old man how to do that :rofl:
Barry

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1791 on: March 02, 2020, 05:43:12 AM
Day 30:

First off, thanks to Barry for organizing and running a splendid challenge.  :clap:

This was a fun one, to be sure. And I a bit sad to see it end. For me the venerable Fieldmaster could easily be 'the one." I'd happily continue on with the Fieldmaster in my pocket and a bit of SAK joy in my heart, but the March Madness challenge is starting up......

In my younger days, I preferred (by a small margin) a 3-layer SAK to a 4-layer SAK. I recall one tragic road trip across Wyoming where my SAK (I can't recall exactly which model....) went missing. In the next town I was relieved to find an outdoors store that sold SAK's. You would have laughed to see me agonizing over the extra features of the 4-layer vs the smaller size of the 3-layer. That was one patient (and not terribly busy) salesman. :facepalm:

I went with the....Climber.  :climber:

Today, however, especially if I were on a road trip far from home, the choice would be a 4-layer. Most likely the....Fieldmaster....no, Huntsman.....wait...no....Fieldmaster. 

Why?  :think:

The Fieldmaster covers 99% of my edc needs and then some. I never used the saw during this challenge, but it is a tool I value having with me. Scissors are a must. If my SAK doesn't have scissors, I'll carry a Classic or Ambassador that does as a backup. No need for a backup with the Fieldmaster.

The opener layer is....fundamental. Those are a couple of tools that do so much, so often it's hard to think about being with out them.

I've always thought the two blades are a bit redundant; however, since I had two blades I used them each. The blades were my most often used tools during this challenge, followed by the scissors.

No SAK is 'complete' without an awl. I prefer an in-line awl, but the backside awl proved itself several times during the challenge. The hook and backside Phillips got scare use during the challenge but I was pleased to have the Phillips on one occasion.

So....Corkscrew vs Phillips? 

During the challenge I did open a bottle of wine with a kitchen corkscrew. In that sense, the SAK corkscrew was missed. I used to think that a corkscrew on a road trip or car-camping trip was a necessity (in a first-world problem sort of way.). However, in the modern era where a spontaneous bottle of wine might be 'needed', a decent bottle of red with a screw top can be found now. So the corkscrew, for all it's multifunctional utility, is not as critical to me. (I still love the corkscrew for many reason, nostalgia not being the least.).

Yes, this challenge has confirmed that the Fieldmaster is my SAK of choice for EDC and general-purpose SAKedness.

Oddly, I have: two (2) Huntsmen, three (3) Explorers, and.....one (1) Fieldmaster. Apparently my purchasing habits don't match my assessments......  :dunno:

Great challenge, guys. You awl made this one a lot of fun!   :2tu: 

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great write up! 

Good points on the screw top, does it mean we will see Fieldmaster gaining more popularity on MTO?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1792 on: March 02, 2020, 05:53:07 AM
kamakiri Day 30:

Nice collection photo!  Looks awesome!

30 days of FieldMaster reflection -

This is the first time carrying a 4 layer SAK.

Besides my Vagabond, which I normally EDC, accept this month, I use a Farmer for its tools, including a saw. A Pioneer, for many simple tasks. A Climber for a good functional knife set including a scissors and cork screw, each implement, handy for many purposes.  Or, my OHT for camp kitchen duties, including its saw for fire kindling.

The Hook and Saw were not utilized by me this challenge. I have found the SAK saw very capable for cutting plastic conduit when I was working and prepping wiring runs, and in current job repairing drain pipes for plumbing repairs on pool filters or monitoring lines.

The FMstr’s backside Phillips is functional on same same type screws, but often to short for my needs, when the Can opener trip work as well in line. 

The scissors are great, but without a nail file on board, not practical for nail grooming.

The FieldMaster does the job and then some, just as any SAK. 

Yet, having the right tool in hand is important, my brightest moment with the FieldMaster was utilizing the TWEEZERS to remove and apply decals on my 6 yo grandson’s new FastnFurious car from McDonalds, my fat fingers would have not done the job themselves.

Huntsman with its Corkscrew may get my nod over the FMstr if a 4 layer would be my chosen tool. 

I will add, that I do like utilizing my Rebar(s), and a pocket knife is paired to it when selecting my EDC any given day. 

With this being said, I will be also moving onto the March Madness Challenge with a new Spirit that I have NEVER used, only admired.  So Rebar(s) will be put away as I carry on...

Great job everyone, thank you Barry for assembling this team of users and RapidRay, Comis, and SOS24 for being consistent CHEERLEADERS!!!

LC, see you on Madness :cheers: , and seeing how you like to pair the pliers based MT with a SAK.  I think you gonna love the Spirit!  :D

When I heard it was called „Classic“ I knew it wouldn‘t last forever. I am sure they will phase it out soon and then all that‘s left is cloud only. Not with me.

I hear you about the backup! I lost data one time. Since then I have multiple copies in multiple locations  :tu:
Day 30 Bonus Pic:

Another great photo! 

On the LR, I don't know...but I hope Adobe will come to their senses, I know a good number of professionals are relying on LR to manage photo and do large patch adjustments, and that's the forte of that software which distinguish it from photoshop.  Not everywhere around the world has uber fast internet connection, and if they insist everything has to be cloud based, all these faithful customers will for sure move camp elsewhere.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1793 on: March 02, 2020, 05:55:56 AM
He acted like he could have cared less it was there, which kind of surprised me.

:rofl:  Maybe that's just his poker face, I bet he is all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

DAY 30

:dd:  Great work!  Always wanted to pick up carving, and this kind of good work is what motivates me!

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #1794 on: March 02, 2020, 03:10:17 PM
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #1795 on: March 02, 2020, 03:10:52 PM
:rofl:  Maybe that's just his poker face, I bet he is all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

:dd:  Great work!  Always wanted to pick up carving, and this kind of good work is what motivates me!

Thanks comis!
Send In the spartans

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
Reply #1796 on: March 02, 2020, 09:36:03 PM
My thoughts on the Fieldmaster as an EDC...    I'm probably the odd man out when it comes to not really wanting or needing the scissors, just because if I have a knife blade I rarely find the true necessity for its use (even doing fine work when I have that small blade that can be sharpened and stropped to a scalpel).  I do however use the saw more frequent just because of the nature of my job and lines getting tangled in branches, and I find the Phillips more useful to me than a corkscrew (although the argument can be made for how many times I've used the tiny screwdriver that can be kept within the corkscrew and on rare occasion I have used the corkscrew to loosen a knot).  In essence, I'm really just describing my go to 'EDC' as one knife that is always with me at this point which is the Trekker (or now that I have one - a modern Soldier).   My dream knife would be the Trekker with a layer that had a small knife blade opposite an inline smaller Phillips.  I'd gladly carry this Fieldmaster any day though.  I love Vics....  spent years on USA ONLY products before giving Victorinox a chance, but you just can't argue the reliability and usefulness of most SAK's.  Thanks for a great month, my trusty FM'ster and the first challenge (thank you Barry) I've joined in on has been a lot of fun. 
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #1797 on: March 02, 2020, 10:27:48 PM
Thanks to you all for some cracking  photos and insightful post action reports.  I've much enjoyed the read , and I wasn't even in the challenge!
Well done all :tu:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1798 on: March 03, 2020, 12:14:46 AM
My thoughts on the Fieldmaster as an EDC...    I'm probably the odd man out when it comes to not really wanting or needing the scissors, just because if I have a knife blade I rarely find the true necessity for its use (even doing fine work when I have that small blade that can be sharpened and stropped to a scalpel).  I do however use the saw more frequent just because of the nature of my job and lines getting tangled in branches, and I find the Phillips more useful to me than a corkscrew (although the argument can be made for how many times I've used the tiny screwdriver that can be kept within the corkscrew and on rare occasion I have used the corkscrew to loosen a knot).  In essence, I'm really just describing my go to 'EDC' as one knife that is always with me at this point which is the Trekker (or now that I have one - a modern Soldier).   My dream knife would be the Trekker with a layer that had a small knife blade opposite an inline smaller Phillips.  I'd gladly carry this Fieldmaster any day though.  I love Vics....  spent years on USA ONLY products before giving Victorinox a chance, but you just can't argue the reliability and usefulness of most SAK's.  Thanks for a great month, my trusty FM'ster and the first challenge (thank you Barry) I've joined in on has been a lot of fun.

Glad you enjoyed your first challenge with your Fieldmaster.  Maybe you’ll find another one that interests you this year.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1799 on: March 03, 2020, 01:16:59 AM
 :iagree:. There's rarely a shortage of Challenges in the different areas of the Forum.  If you have an idea for one and don't see it anywhere, it's fairly easy to start one.
I believe there's a Soldier SAK Challenge in May sponsored by Rapid Ray. 
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD