Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Computer help

Dunc · 7 · 1395

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Computer help
on: December 24, 2008, 11:29:15 AM
The clock on my Computer keeps going wrong . The only thing I can think of is the internal battery ( if there is one ) has run out and so when I turn it off the clock doesnt keep time . I don't leave my PC running 24/7 and turn it off at night .

dunc

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Computer help
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:35:20 AM
If it only goes wrong when you turn it off and then on again a while later then i think you are right about the battery. There should be a coin cell type one somewhere on the motherboard (the big circuit board that everything else is plugged into) should be just as simple as replacing that one :) Plenty of how to guides on the web, just search for replace motherboard battery and you should find some one telling you all about it :) need any more help just ask :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:39:53 AM
yes, motherboards have a coincell battery to maintain the clock. however, unless you actually unplug (or turn off the powerbar) your PC this battery should not die... usually they are replaceable though... CR2032 coin cell... I usually have a few spares laying around, but haven't had to replace one in a really long time... I think perhaps since I replace the whole board, and rarely are they unplugged.

some good info here:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:47:57 AM
Thanks guys  :tu: Just to check then If I remove the old battery will I loose any other info besides the clock before I put the new one in ?

Dunc

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:12:07 PM
probably nothing that isnt already reset to default in the bios...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:38:53 PM
You likely won't lose anything you'd notice if you replace that battery- most of your information (programs, files etc) are stored on your hard drive, which will keep everything safe when there's no power being fed to it.  You can unplug a hard drive and put it on the shelf for years, and all the info will be safe and readable when you eventually plug it back in, which by the way is why you should should be careful about how you dispose of your old drive.

The BIOS (the basic set of instructions the motherboard uses, which is all that text-y gibberish when you start up your computer) may reset to it's original factory settings when you remove the battery, or it may not.  The good news is, if the battery is toast, then it'll have likely lost any updates it had already in which case you likely aren't going to have any problems with it.  The better news is, if you are like most folks, you've probably never updated the BIOS on your computer, so it won't matter if you lose any updates, because you probably don't have any to begin with!  BIOS updates are different from the Windows updates your computer does automatically....

Basically the process is simple- unplug the case, press the power button to discharge the capacitors (safety first!) open the case, pop out the old battery and slide in a new one.  Then close the case, plug it in and you are good to go.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:39:23 PM
Oh and make sure to take pictures and let us know what tool you use to accomplish all of this!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%