Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multiple Questions and Forum rules

Offline Plyearl

• New User
Multiple Questions and Forum rules
on: October 21, 2019, 12:06:44 AM
Hey all. New here and looking for some help on finding a new tool.

I have multiple questions and didn't know if they should be divided based on topic into separate threads, or if all in one was the norm. Let me know and I'll correct as necessary

I'm looking for both a new plier based tool. Leatherman if my preferred brand, but am willing to go anywhere if it has the right functions/features.  I currently carry a skeletool, but need to increase features.

1) Are there any other tools that have extra bit storage in the tool itself (I.e. one in the driver and one elsewhere). Only other I've found is https://www.havalon.com/evolve-multi-tool-2. But I really don't like the rest of that tool.  Extra bit storage is necessary as I'm in Canada where Robertson (square drive) is everywhere and need that and Phillips readily available.

2) Do any tools come with a flat head chisel or prybar?  I had a https://www.crkt.com/shop/multi-tools/technician.html. however it was bulky and I didn't like that the blade didn't lock.  I would also like a wider chisel

3) alternatively, do any come with a tanto knife with a close to 90 degree edge to point/tip angle? I do alot of scraping and chiseling through the day and don't do much with a pointed blade. I also have a https://www.crkt.com/shop/multi-tools/bivy.html however it has about the worst pliers ever

My perfect mutltiool would be;
1. Hex bit driver with room for 1 extra bit onboard
2. Tanto blade with chisel-type tip
3. Pliers with replaceable cutters
4. Scissors
5. strap cutter/hook
6. Awl or marlinspike

Don't need/care if present
1. Can opener
2. bottle opener
3. Saw
4. File
5. Multiple blade types/edges

Thanks!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Re: Multiple Questions and Forum rules
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 09:36:15 AM
Not sure if there is such a combo, but Leatherman skeletool has a slot for spare bit and Victorinox cybertools have bit holders.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 12:55:55 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure folks will have a few suggestions for you, perhaps more than you wanted, but that's how it goes around here!   :D

As for how to ask questions, and whether a correction is needed, I'd say you could have done it in different threads or all in one as you have, and both are 100% acceptable around here.  We are pretty laid back around here, and always happy to talk tools, in whatever form that takes!

:tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 02:01:49 PM
I've been thinking about which tool ticks most of the boxes but it's quite though to find just one tool for your needs.

The Gerber Center Drive or Center Drive Plus is one of the first tools that came to mind, maybe you could have a look at one of those...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 03:16:42 PM
Welcome to MTO.  I'll have to think on this.  Are you opposed to carrying complimenting tools?  It does sound like a great mod thats for sure however sometimes the simplest solution is carrying 2 tools  :dunno:

My first thoughts were either a Swisstool plus kit since it has the great 91mm scissors but theres so much missing on your list with this tool.  The plus part is great since it is a separate tool and you can carry as my Robertson bits as you like.  The L wrench is a great tool and the bit carrier that attaches is a pretty compact set up.   

It does have a great chisel which is not found on many MTs.  It has an awl....... but again its missing things.     

Ok back to thinking. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 04:48:09 PM
I don't know enough brands to know which will fit the bill exactly, but do you have priorities on those tools you want?  Maybe that could get us warmer to what your perfect tool is.  :pok:

Offline Plyearl

• New User
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 09:02:31 PM
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!

I'll try and answer all and keep it brief:

I am willing to carry more than one tool, but was hoping there be some magic solution where I wouldn't have to.

I'm thinking a multi tool + pry bar / chisel. I would still prefer that the bit storage was on board to the tool itself,  just because caring around extra bits add a third.

And recommendations on chisel/pry bar is helpful, but was thinking of boker cop tool or Rogan slim.

The MUT Looks pretty good with that scissor mod! And I could probably turn the scraper into a steel awl. Knife is a little big for my needs but beggars can't be choosers. Does the mutt actually have three places for bit storage? 1. Driver itself, 2. Metal sheath on handle with button where the scissors are on the mod & 3. The plastic piece? Or is the plastic piece for something else?

I considered the center drive, but when I tried it open the store the extra bit in the handle kept blocking it from closing the pliers completely. (Gripping a thin piece of paper it wouldn't hold)

If I were to prioritize even further, tool would need to have bit driver with extra bit storage, a good set of pliers (preferably needlenose), and something to chisel and pry (that a drop point or sheepsfoot won't do for)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 09:41:38 PM
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!

I'll try and answer all and keep it brief:

I am willing to carry more than one tool, but was hoping there be some magic solution where I wouldn't have to.

I'm thinking a multi tool + pry bar / chisel. I would still prefer that the bit storage was on board to the tool itself,  just because caring around extra bits add a third.

And recommendations on chisel/pry bar is helpful, but was thinking of boker cop tool or Rogan slim.

The MUT Looks pretty good with that scissor mod! And I could probably turn the scraper into a steel awl. Knife is a little big for my needs but beggars can't be choosers. Does the mutt actually have three places for bit storage? 1. Driver itself, 2. Metal sheath on handle with button where the scissors are on the mod & 3. The plastic piece? Or is the plastic piece for something else?

I considered the center drive, but when I tried it open the store the extra bit in the handle kept blocking it from closing the pliers completely. (Gripping a thin piece of paper it wouldn't hold)

If I were to prioritize even further, tool would need to have bit driver with extra bit storage, a good set of pliers (preferably needlenose), and something to chisel and pry (that a drop point or sheepsfoot won't do for)

My guess is that the bit holder in the handle wasn't closed all the way.  When you close the bit holder you have to give it a last push (over the 90° angle) so it clicks inside the handle, if you don't click it, you can't close the pliers completely.

But something else now, how about a Surge on which the biggest flat driver has been "sharpened" like the chisel on a Spirit?  I've been thinking about trying this mod myself, but let's face it, I s*ck at re-profiling something like this, I can barely sharpen free-hand...  :-[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%