Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Californians

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Californians
on: October 11, 2019, 03:28:45 PM
High winds and red flag warnings.  Y'all be safe out there and have evacuation plans in place if the fires head your way.    Winds are picking up so please take time to get things in order now. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Californians
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 06:00:26 PM
High winds and red flag warnings.  Y'all be safe out there and have evacuation plans in place if the fires head your way.    Winds are picking up so please take time to get things in order now.
I heard 800,000 people lost there electric from the company turning the electric off! A preemptive decision! Just doesn’t sound right.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Californians
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 07:24:27 PM
I heard 800,000 people lost there electric from the company turning the electric off! A preemptive decision! Just doesn’t sound right.

That is a low number compared to what I’ve read saying as many as 2 million.  The power company supposedly did it out of fear that winds could cause downed lines that ignite fires.  I also read that the expectation is those people will be without power for as long as a few days after the winds stop to allow inspections of power lines power to restoring.  I can’t say as I blame people for being mad. 

But what also makes me wonder is what is the bigger threat the electric power lines or people running individual generators and work arounds to make up for the power being shut off?

Here is an article
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-10/millions-without-power-pge-blackouts-california

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 12:19:30 AM
After lawsuits from the last mass fire as well as the possibility of down active lines its not hard to believe the power co cut the juice. 

I also heard the power was out to millions of customers.  There was a 48hr notice however I know thats not enough time for most.

We aren't experiencing high winds ( coastal ) however the inland areas are.  With year around fire season now preparations should be taken all year.  This is the start of our Santa Ana winds.  I am always bummed for these planned outages however Sos you make a great point about generators.  Lost of folks who have never used them and people being carless.  Not sure of that stats but I can imagine there are accidents.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 02:35:19 AM
Keep safe all of you :salute: You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers :salute: :tu: Hope that all the people that had there power cut are still spared any fire and wind damage :ahhh hopefully it will only have had to have been a precautionary measure :salute:

us Offline getahl

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 12:47:00 AM
The Saddlebridge fire starter about a quarter mile behind my place of work. Impromptu plant closure Friday,  school shut down for poor air quality, so kids off school. It's at about 7500 acres burned, 2 fatalities, and 40% containment. It's no longer affecting most people.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 05:55:04 AM
Be safe out there.  Glad to hear its getting under control. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline getahl

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 06:01:25 PM
All good over here. The fire came right up to the parking lot of my work,  even torched some bushes in a hedgerow in the parking lot. Building is ok though.

us Offline getahl

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 09:46:03 PM
Pictures from behind my work

Foreground, charred palm tree. Background, my building.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 10:05:59 PM
Thats scary.  Glad you are safe as are others.  Close call for sure. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 11:54:31 PM
People in fire danger zones are getting their home insurance cancelled by the tens of thousands, even after having the same policy for many years with no claims. Premiums are quadrupled (or more), that is if you can even find an insurer. Glad I'm gone from there, what a disaster that whole place is becoming. The government and bureaucracy have been destroying the beautiful state of California for decades.  :cry:

us Offline getahl

Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 10:29:19 PM
People in fire danger zones are getting their home insurance cancelled by the tens of thousands, even after having the same policy for many years with no claims. Premiums are quadrupled (or more), that is if you can even find an insurer. Glad I'm gone from there, what a disaster that whole place is becoming. The government and bureaucracy have been destroying the beautiful state of California for decades.  :cry:

For all its foibles, I love Cali. Family's here, for good or bad. CHLA is here, along with the medical team that saved my daughter's life at 7 weeks. Awesome winter weather is here, too. I will be here for the long haul, unless something drastically changes.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:59:39 PM by getahl »

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 01:45:00 AM
For all its foibles, I love Cali. Family's here, for good or bad. CHLA is here, along with the medical team that saved my daughter's life at 7 weeks. Awesome winter weather is here, too. I will be here for the long haul, unless something drastically changes.

I understand, I lived most of my life there, and my family is there too. I hope it gets better, the Golden State was nicer without the foibles.  :dunno:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 01:12:01 PM
Thats scary.  Glad you are safe as are others.  Close call for sure.

+1

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD