Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Travel Tips for Switzerland (if you collect SAK’s!)

EMZ · 8 · 683

nl Offline EMZ

Travel Tips for Switzerland (if you collect SAK’s!)
on: October 13, 2019, 05:46:57 PM
In June 2019 I travelled to Switserland and I visited the Victorionx stores in Brunnen, Ibach and Luzern. Here are some travelling tips if you plan to go to Switzerland and plan to buy some SAK’s.

First of all: Switzerland is an expensive country. For example: two large Double Cheeseburger meals (including fries, mayo and softdrinks) is around 31 Swiss Franks (SFr).
If you pay for a product the best you can do is to pay with your Bank Card in Swiss Francs, not in Euro’s. That way you have the best exchange rate (difference is about 4-5%). The exchange rate between cash SFr and Bank Card Sfr is about 7-8%.
Also keep in mind that normal food in restaurants is expensive, but also VERY, VERY good!

Second important thing: It’s a beautiful country. It’s very clean, very well organised and people are very friendly towards tourists and visitors.

About the official Vic Stores.
When you’re looking for SAK’s than you should visit as many of the official Victorinox Stores as possible. Not all stores have the same products for sale, same are out-of-stock in one store, but available in an other store.
The official stores have standard prices for the current knives and tools. There you will not find cheap offers, bargains, sales or outdated products. However, if you buy knives (knives only!) above SFr 100 you’ll get a 10% discount on the knives (knives only!). If you buy knives above SFr 500 you’ll get a 15% discount.
Prices in the Vic Stores are in SFr, but if buy knives for more then 100 SFr, and you pay by Bank Card in SFr, you can subtract atotal of about 19 percent of the official sales price. Even more if you spend for over SFr 500 on knives.
For example, I bought the white Spartan with blackened tools plus the “All You Wish For” 2018 Climber. Prices in SFR: 69 and 49. Prices in Euro’s: 56,76 and 40,31.

The Factory Store in Ibach (near Schwyz and Brunnen) is a little bit different from the other stores. It is very small, but aside of the current products for sale, you can also find some outdated models for very reasonable prices. In fact some are real bargains! However, the outdated models do not count for the 10% discount!
The Vic Store in Luzern has Chinese speaking staff!
Not all Vic Stores have the same product range. Some items are sold out in one store, but still available in another one.

Go visit souvenir shops. Soemtimes they have outdated or special knives.
If you have time, go visit some smaller knife makers, such as Klötzli and Röthlisberger.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Travel Tips for Switzerland (if you collect SAK’s!)
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 06:51:44 PM
Thanks for the write-up EMZ! I wish I could visit Switzerland, but chances are very slim in the foreseeable future  :-[

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 12:50:23 AM
I think there's a sticky for this somewhere.  I know I made a contribution to it last year but can't seem to find it now. 

Anyway, great write up and thanks for sharing these tips!

Myron

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 08:43:58 AM
If you have time, go visit some smaller knife makers, such as Klötzli and Röthlisberger.
Röthlisberger is a very old, very traditional house (they used to make solders, as you can see here). And to this day, they still produce fairly traditional folding knives.

Klötzli also is an old house, probably internationally most famous for producing the first carbon fiber production knife (Spyderco C22). Klötzli also has tight connections to Victorinox, they even have their own section on the official Victorinox page. IIRC they made the "Battle Series" together (possibly others).
If that alone is not enough for you, there are more reasons why a SAK enthusiast you should visit the store in Burgdorf (not the one in Bern).
- Ask the nice lady behind the counter about rarities (Last time I was there, they still had a complete "Wenger Vallotton Saugy Life" set)
- Klötzli is the official manufacturer of the Swiss Borderguard knife
As the largest knife store in Switzerland, they also carry other Swiss brands:
- Panorama knives, knives with the edge in the shape of famous Swiss mountain ranges
- Sknife, exclusive Swiss steak knives with a brilliant design, though very pricey (if you put the knife or the fork down, the edge/fork head won't touch the desk. The knife also is self righting, so when placed on the table, the edge will always face down)

Of course if, after all that, you still are not completely out of funds... you can always visit Lorenzi in Zurich. Very expensive store... but he still has several Al-Mar Multitiools
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 02:37:26 PM
I enjoyed reading this thread, so many good tips and insights.  Thank you.  :cheers:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 02:59:38 PM
 :iagree:
Thanks!  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 03:59:08 PM
This is a great read and thank you for all the info. :cheers:

Years ago, I have written 9 countries specific shopping/visiting suggestions, and it later became a sticky organized by dks in the 'general tool discussion'.

Mods, if I may, I would humbly suggest to put this post in that sticky within the "general tool discussion". :tu:

Offline wengercollector

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 08:39:47 PM
Just a word to the mentioned "high price switzerland". I ve been to the US recently. I was surprised how expensive the states are - compared to about 15 years back. On the paper, a burger was maybe around 18$. But with taxes and tips (18 - 25%!!) it was also around 30 $, so equal to switzerland. And I found the service mostly very rude. Often they brought the check before I finished my meal, and they dont understand, that you want to eat a "starter" before the "main", and not together :-) So I think for US tourists, switzerland must seem really strange, but the service appreciate it, when you give 25% tips, for sure ;-)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%