Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Writing?
on: December 22, 2008, 07:24:43 PM
Ok I was chatting to a mate of mine while Christmas shopping on Saturday ( :ahhh :ahhh) and we started chatting about writing (he's a writer) and he asked how I was coming along with my book, which long story short died a death a very long time ago as I decided long ago that I didn't have the focus, dicipline let alone talent to be an Author :-\

Nevertheless I've kept the idea for the book alive in my head, and wouldn't mind putting pen to paper just for my own benefit, as I've no illusions as to my complete lack of talent on that front :D

So has anyone got any tips and experiences on the writing front they'd care to share ???

Thanks in advance fella's :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: Writing?
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:30:30 PM
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." Benjamin Franklin

Here's a site with some writing quotes. This is words of advice page, go to the main site it has more stuff there.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/pasenka/quotes/q-writ.htm#Some%20words%20of%20advice

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:32:46 PM
Thanks for that mate, I'm having a nose around as we speak :tu:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:34:02 PM
Have you thought about writing and publishing something shorter than a book?  For instance, short stories or articles?

I've written several magazine articles, but lack the concentration to write something more lengthy.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:36:06 PM
Have you thought about writing and publishing something shorter than a book?  For instance, short stories or articles?

I've written several magazine articles, but lack the concentration to write something more lengthy.
Wow you really are prolific :tu:

I've writen a few crappy articles/reviews on this and other forum's, but I have considered giving a short story a go first :)

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:20:13 PM
I am not a very good writer.. I am an amazing poet, though! You would be surprised how well I can write poetry!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:26:55 PM
You're modest as well.  :D

We will need an example now.  :pok:
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:41:31 AM
Write what you know.
[

Offline ptolemy

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:59:46 AM
Ok I was chatting to a mate of mine while Christmas shopping on Saturday ( :ahhh :ahhh) and we started chatting about writing (he's a writer) and he asked how I was coming along with my book, which long story short died a death a very long time ago as I decided long ago that I didn't have the focus, dicipline let alone talent to be an Author :-\

Nevertheless I've kept the idea for the book alive in my head, and wouldn't mind putting pen to paper just for my own benefit, as I've no illusions as to my complete lack of talent on that front :D

So has anyone got any tips and experiences on the writing front they'd care to share ???

when you write reviews how to's it is much easier since it's a specific object and you are just explaining.

writing something else like a story is totally abstract IMO, and i wouldn't know what to write after 5-10 pages.
to me it's like start/middle./end. no depth, clarity, backstory, etc

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 02:08:55 AM
Write what you know.

In my case, that wouldn't take long :D

Micky D - I've often thought about doing some writing, but never seem to find the time, and you'd need a lot of time I think. I'm generally quite an impulsive bloke, so I've been working on the assumption that if / when some inspiration comes, I'll be on it.

It generally amazes me how authors of fiction can "force" the new ideas for stories. I do a lot of technical writing, and white paper type stuff in my job (will be doing even more when I start my new one), and that comes easy to me, as you either know what you need to write, or you know what you need to learn about.

Every time I think I've had an idea for a fictitious story though, it usually transpires that I remembered it from something I read or saw on the telly  :P

My daughter on the other hand, even though she's only 12, has won prizes already for her poetry and stories, I guess she got all the creativity that this family's allowed! Mind you she is dedicated, she churns out stuff at a hell of a rate, and she's very self critical. I don't think I've got that stuff in me to be honest!

What genre would your stories be do you think?

Edit; Haha - just saw ptolemy's post, similar point I think!
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 02:11:55 AM

Not being a published writer, just aspiring to gain that status in my life time is a goal I have always wanted to attain.
As we speak I am writing an "article" that has yet to be named on the subject matter of - bargain hunting for MT's - what to do and what not to do in the quest for the Holy Grail of MT's.
Having written factual reports since I was 18 in the military and going on today as an investigator.  The difference between a report and a story is quit different, at least in my opinion. Breaking the report writing mold to do a fictional piece is hard for me to over come.  Sorry I can't give you and hard fast rules, I have several books on report writing I have had for years but nothing referring  to fiction.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:14:56 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 02:23:09 AM
If you wait for the right time, you'll probably never do it.  Don't force it, but set yourself a schedule or deadline and make yourself stick to it.  Sure, you may not give your best stuff while struggling to make the deadline, but you can always revise and edit it later on when you are more inspired.  At least you'll have a framework, and something to dress up and build on if you have parts already put together.

You are starting on the right track already, writing for SOSAKOnline.  Sure, it may not be as prestigious as the LA Times or the Times, but it's a good place to refine your style by writing about something you are generally interested in.

If I can help with any other tips, or share my so called writing experiences, well you know how to reach me!

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 07:45:01 AM
Thank's for the tip's guys :cheers:, it'll be something to look into in the new year :)

As for what genre, well war fiction, more specifically about the Winter war between Finland and Russia, as I find that a facinating conflict, and a very human one too :)

Come on Nikko let's see an example of you poetry to inspire me :pok:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 11:36:16 AM
As Douglas Adams(Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy) described writing as:"you stare at a blank piece of paper, until beads of blood start to drip from your forehead" :ahhh

I  too have a story, that I've been working on..  For about a day shy of forever :angel:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 01:31:04 PM
Don't think just write mickyd, after all whats an editor for :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 02:48:49 PM
Great writers don't write great stories... they just finish them!   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 05:04:26 AM
I prefer essays myself,I was always horrible at constructing dialogue.But above all else,be yourself,write as though you're writing to please yourself
I

Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 08:22:01 AM
I prefer essays myself,I was always horrible at constructing dialogue.But above all else,be yourself,write as though you're writing to please yourself
Not a bad idea that mate :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 09:32:39 PM
I'm still waiting for LM123's poetry  :pok: :pok:
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 09:48:54 PM
You'd be the only one then... I can live without "Ode to a Surge."

Def

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 10:46:25 PM
 :D :D

Let me look through my things.. I have some great poetry that I've done in the past!
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD