Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is SOG trying to suffocate me?

us Offline NetsNJ

Is SOG trying to suffocate me?
on: October 22, 2019, 06:12:36 PM
Powerplay price dropped to $35 on Amazon, and my addiction is uncontrollable, so I pulled the trigger.

This thing came coated in this thick blue grease, unlike anything I've ever seen on a multitool!  Like actually coated in the stuff.  I'd open the tools, wipe them down, close, open again, same amount of grease.  Seriously considered washing the entire thing in soap and water.  Some minor corrosion beats these fumes.  Have had to ventilate the house, the smell us unbearable.  What gives, SOG?

Otherwise, I like the tools so far.  The locks are secure, but poorly designed - reviewers are not exaggerating.  It gets easier when you get the hang of it, but the design is objectively bad.  Pleasantly surprised that the file is not a glorified metal tongue depressor as well!  It's not bad.

Need to go lay down now from the fumes headache!  SOG, what the hell!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Is SOG trying to suffocate me?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 03:47:02 PM
That doesn't sound normal. I have a dozen brand new SOGs, and none came with grease on them. :think:

Was it an Amazon warehouse deal? I've seen some weird stuff from those deals. Including stuff covered in grease. Blue grease sounds like an axle grease or something. Petroleum based would explain the smell. :ahhh

Having written that, I will say, it has been sometime since I bought a new SOG. Last time was the Snippet.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 04:39:14 PM
I wanted to like this tool, it has some nice features.  But as reviewers have pointed out, the locks really are terrible ergonomically.  Very hard to disengage one-handed.   

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 06:32:33 PM
Yeah, the locks on mine is kind of awkward as well. Or on one handle they work as a lock should and the other feels backwards.

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 12:51:36 AM
Worst problem I had with my PowerPlay were the cheaper style rivets used in the leverage system. They are loose in there now, and tilt out when pressure is applied. Expecting a river to fly out one day. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%