Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has anyone ever broken a big ToolClip?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Has anyone ever broken a big ToolClip?
on: October 21, 2019, 04:58:53 PM
I used mine to hold a bolt while I got the nut loose with my MP600. I put some force on the sog, but not that much. Later I pulled the SOG out and found the jaws no longer line up! The fixed jaw has moved!

I actually use my SOG ToolClip occasionally... but man, this really drives it home that this is not a real tool, just a show piece :/

Charles.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Has anyone ever broken a big ToolClip?
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 10:41:26 PM
Yikes !   :o

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 02:30:55 AM
I don't know how they're held together, but seeing the pin size, it's entirely possible. Honestly, even though I have my MTs for light to medium leverage jobs, and even with say a Surge or ST300 (or MP600/Mr. Pinchy blunt nose),  if I'm torquing them a lot, and/or know I will; I reach for the large pliers. I think it's impossible to break a pair of 7" linesman's pliers. And that's using the thing as a hammer as well.

At least one thing, the Seki examples are made well. I had the V3 (China) MicroToolclip fall apart on me in less than four months. And besides, the quality really wasn't there. But, a Micro Tooclip V1 can take on stuff full-sized tools are best for.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 03:50:54 PM
This wasn't a micro, this was an original made-in-japan big toolclip. I liked it because it fit in the molle webbing loops in my backpack, and was easily accessible. No other multi I have is thin enough, and has a pocket clip. So it did duty there. Unfortunately, it  broke. $70 down the toilet. D'oh.

The thing is, I've put way more force on a Coast Pocket Mechanic, which is of similar riveted design, and didn't break it. So.... that's messed up.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD