Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question abou t leathman modding.

Offline P-11 shooter

Question abou t leathman modding.
on: December 25, 2008, 01:23:59 AM
I remember reading somewhere that there are people on here with the tools and inclination to modify Leatherman tools.  I have a EDC Pulse that's been around a while. It would be really cool to replace the small screwdriver blade that broke off and replace the "seasoned" scissors and file.

1. is there anywhere to get Leatherman replacement parts? (like SOG)

2. I'm assuming the first answer is no I guess I'd have to buy a "parts tool" to take stuff off of.

3. What size bit do I need to take apart an original Wave? I'd like to loosten the screw on the one side so I can actually rotate out the large screwdriver. I'd also like to replace the 3 really thin screwdriver blades with 2 thicker ones like in my pulse. Possibly change the scissors to ones like the pulse as well.

Is any of this possible at all, or am i talking "crazy talk?" :ahhh

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Question abou t leathman modding.
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 01:33:44 AM
You're right I'm afraid that you can't buy replacement parts for Leatherman tools, so a "donor" tool would be the way to go. Alternatively you could try sending a PM to Kwakster on here, he may be able to source some parts for you.

A tip that will help dismantling your Pulse. Purchase a couple of Leatherman Kick pocket clips, as they can be used as spanners to turn those knurled screws that hold it together.

To get your old Wave open, these work really well.

I'm not sure about the Wave mod(s) you're suggesting, but someone will be along who will know soon, I'm sure!

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 01:36:16 AM
What DaveK said, and you can always send em back for warranty repair. Since they probably have some sentimental value I say "retire" the old tools and buy new ones (always a great excuse for getting new toys)  :D  :cheers:

Offline P-11 shooter

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 01:42:33 AM
What DaveK said, and you can always send em back for warranty repair. Since they probably have some sentimental value I say "retire" the old tools and buy new ones (always a great excuse for getting new toys)  :D  :cheers:

Yeah. it definately has sentimental value. I don't really want to retire it because I finally got it "done broke in good"

I like the idea of buying more though. Come to think of it, I could probably use a ST200 to go with my Pulse :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 01:58:29 AM

Yeah. it definately has sentimental value. I don't really want to retire it because I finally got it "done broke in good"

I like the idea of buying more though. Come to think of it, I could probably use a ST200 to go with my Pulse :D

And so it begins.....

Any minute now people will chime in with "get a Swisstool", or a Surge, or a Core, or a SOG Power Assist, etc.. Advice is great, but the problem is, you'll probably end up buying them all :D

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 02:01:38 AM
Oh sweet Swiss Tool can't forget the ST get the X model I find the need for scissors all the time zzz. Personally looking at the present Leatherman line up I have to say Charge tti is a sweet choice as well, here we say when in doubt buy both and since I have had the ST-X for years I'm only missing the Charge, or am I?  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 06:33:55 AM
Well everything I could have helped with has already been said ::) so good luck on any and all of the modding :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%