Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30 Day Challenges for 2020

Kev D · 116 · 11216

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: 30 Day Challenges for 2020
Reply #90 on: October 04, 2020, 06:31:56 PM
OK, there is 'Wave Wednesday', 'Thursday Surgeday', and 'Supertool Saturday'.

:tu:

Skeletool, Sunday, SideClip Sunday, Minitool Monday, Crunch Tuesday, Black oxide Friday  :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #91 on: October 04, 2020, 06:38:54 PM

Skeletool, Sunday, SideClip Sunday, Minitool Monday, Crunch Tuesday, Black oxide Friday  :D

I was thinking about doing a rotation challenge sometime last/this year, and these are the themes I have collected, hope that would help.

Monday
Monrogue Monday!
Mini tool monday (LM)
Minichamp Monday (SAK)
HandyMonday Handyman (SAK)
Monday Oneday (SAK)
MP Monday (Gerber)

Tuesday
Tactical Tuesday!
Titanium Tuesdays!
Tinker Tuesday (SAK)
Trekker Tuesday (SAK)
Two layer Tuesday (SAK)
Two for Tuesday (SAK)

Wednesday
Wood handled Wednesday
Wave Wednesday (LM)
Wenger Wednesday (SAK)

Thursday
Throwback Thursday
Four layer Thursday (SAK)
Thursday Surgeday (LM)
Three Layer Thrusday (SAK)

Friday
Black oxide Friday
Flashlight Friday!
Five layer Friday (SAK)
Farmer Friday (SAK)
Friday Freeday (LM)
Four Layer Friday (SAK)

Saturday
Sportsman Saturday!
Supertool Saturday (LM)
Swisstool Saturday (SAK)
Spartan Saturday (SAK)
Signal Saturday!!! (LM)

Sunday
Slipjoint Sunday!
Ice Cream Sunday!
Swisschamp Sunday (SAK)
Single layer Sunday (SAK)
Skeletool Sunday (LM)
Sideclip Sunday (LM)
Sidekick Sunday (LM)
Skeletool Sunday (LM)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #92 on: October 04, 2020, 06:45:59 PM
There is nothing wrong with taking a month off from a challenge either   ;)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: October 04, 2020, 06:48:19 PM

and that would be the biggest challenge of them all

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #94 on: October 04, 2020, 07:01:36 PM

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #95 on: October 04, 2020, 07:41:00 PM
Five tools?   :ahhh   Where would the challenge be?   :think:

I think I like the idea of picking an "EDC" and actually carrying/testing that specific EDC for a month. For me, my "EDC" is really more a "This Day Carry", changing with my whims or expected needs.

Maybe we don't even need a specific number of items? Some people might be minimalists and just carry Wallet, Phone, and SAK. I don't think such a participant should have to carry more when he/she would not normally do so..... Each participant would set up his/her own EDC and carry it every day. Awl of it. Pick as many tools or items as you want to carry for December. But carry every item, every day.

Seems like an interesting idea.

At the end of December participants would give a brief assessment of how their EDC worked and what they might change up.   :dunno:

For most of us, our phone is now (sadly) a critical part of our EDC.  For me, my wallet is also part of my EDC--in addition to the tools of modern commerce (i.e. a credit card), it also stores a few goodies: fresnel lens, stamps, band aid, etc.... Even some cash (last I checked...) 

Watch....? Not part of my EDC, but it is for some people. 

I guess I'm thinking that an "EDC in December" challenge should reflect an actual EDC, to be used in real world circumstances, for 30 days.

Proposed rules:

• Identify your EDC items and post a photo of your EDC on Day 1. These items shall be carried daily throughout the challenge. 

• Additional items shall not be added or starting items deleted after the start of Day 1. (see exceptions below)

• EDC Items would include, but not be limited to:

Watch
Wallet
Keys
Knife
Multitools w/ or w/o bit kits
Lights
Bandana/kerchief (can be rotated for laundering purposes)
Watch
FAK
Compass
Lighters/matches
Pens/Pencils
Notebooks (outside official duty/work/school requirements)
Tools (outside official duty/work/school requirements)
Firearms (outside official duty/work/school requirements)
Others....?

• Awl components of the EDC would need to be carried everyday. If some components could not be carried, e.g "Couldn't carry my pistol with me because I was on jury duty.", the participant would state so in that day's post and provide a brief explanation.

• Additional tools permitted for specific activities, e.g. "Used chainsaw to harvest firewood today.", but the EDC would still need to be carried in some manner (with safety in mind when using that chainsaw!  :ahhh)

• Post a photo of your EDC or a component of the EDC that got used in the thread everyday.

Seems like an interesting idea. At the end of Decemder participants would give a brief assessment of how their EDC worked and what he/she might change up.   :dunno:

Thoughts?  Useful challenge?   :dunno:
That sounds like a fun challenge :tu:
I would join :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #96 on: October 04, 2020, 08:00:46 PM
Great ideas.  I think that for this challenge, we want to think of it back to front.... rather than say "how would a XYZ tool work for me if that's all I have" its.... "Is this EDC necessary and sufficient?"

:tu:

- EDC is optional, at its core.  If you need to carry a pistol or a wrench for work... its not really EDC.  But if you carry a Leatherman for work, and it doesn't leave your side when you get home, and you're using it all evening... then it counts as EDC.   So I would say that firearms, but also HD MTs with bit kits need not be entered into the challenge if they are not off duty or weekend carry. 

- Off duty or day off carry would be the benchmark of the items of the challenge.  Many of us will EDC something to work but that wouldn't count... in your mind try and separate those things out, especially when they happen to be a multitool (what's a challenge without a challenge?). We could do a work-day and an off-day "bundle" but I think that misses the point.... Unless you say "I carry A MT every day... always a Surge on workdays and a Squirt on offdays". That might work  :dunno:

- on the heels of that idea.... any extra tools required (whether a chain saw or a HD MT that was fetched out of the drawer for a particular task) can be mentioned just as a point of conversation.  E.g. I don't EDC a Wave so that won't be included in my challenge, but I might mention it if I worked on my guitar that day just as fodder for conversation. 

Yeah, I was thinking that your EDC is your EDC, anything needed or used specifically for work or school, etc.... isn't really part of your EDC. Now, as you mentioned, some people EDC tools that they do use at work. And, perhaps some people don't EDC some tools because they will have access to similar tools while at work.

If a participant uses their EDC at work/school -- mention it.
If a participant uses a non-EDC item outside of work/school -- mention it. ("Ooops, my EDC failed me, I needed a Wave to remove a faulty pickup from my guitar....")

EDC items should be carried at work. If you can't carry your EDC at work....it's not really EDC; it's "situational carry."

If you spend Sunday sitting around the house in your bathrobe, plotting ways to take your revenge on Fuzzbucket for cheating you out of your justly earned Jaffa cakes, the way most of us do, I would argue that you still have your EDC with you. It may be in a day bag or on a dresser top or in yesterday's pant's pockets, but it is still with you. Which is to say, I don't see a requirement to have your EDC on your person every moment of the day. It should be 'readily accessible'....whatever that means to you.

- the list Nix made is helpful, as we may not realize what we "EDC" - pens compass, etc.... And that may include a specific app on the phone - such as a map or compass or measurement app (where you might have otherwise carried a particular tool).  This makes me think of two fun points.  1. taking detailed stock of your EDC beforehand  2. noting what phone apps, or unwilling tools are used (such as using keys for prying or phone for flashlight)

Cool ideas.  :tu:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: October 04, 2020, 08:53:38 PM

But I'm already going to be taking two months off, who knows what'll happen if I go three without a shiny new badge?  :ahhh
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #98 on: October 04, 2020, 11:03:20 PM
That sounds like a fun challenge :tu:
I would join :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk
:agree:  I would definitely join. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: October 04, 2020, 11:13:09 PM
I give it some of thoughts:

1) Maybe this could call a 'Groundhog Day Challenge"?  And if someone forgets or use other tool, it reset back a week or even to day 0(unless it is for work or motorized tool, like a lawn mower)?  >:D

2) I think to add a twist to this challenge, I would humbly suggest to carry at least 1 item that they never carry or even hate. :think:

#2 seems like an interesting twist .... I even have an idea of a tool that I never carry because I don't think it will work well for me.  But how can one really "challenge themselves" in this regard. Perhaps the tool needs to be chosen by someone else in the challenge (perhaps out of a list provided by the participant so one need not procure the item or run afoul of any local laws)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #100 on: October 05, 2020, 12:27:24 AM
I started an EDC challenge thread here: EDC in DEC

Kev, can you add the EDC in DEC thread to the list of planned challenges?

Thank you!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #101 on: October 06, 2020, 08:45:31 PM
I started an EDC challenge thread here: EDC in DEC

Kev, can you add the EDC in DEC thread to the list of planned challenges?

Thank you!

Added  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: October 06, 2020, 08:45:50 PM
 :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #103 on: November 23, 2020, 02:44:45 AM
 :rofl: :rofl: Tell me about it!
and that would be the biggest challenge of them all
Barry

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #104 on: November 25, 2020, 12:52:41 PM
How about a December Weightloss Challenge? :D

I will spare you a lengthy introduction on the benefits of being fit. :salute:

I am already on a strict diet, and have lost quite a lot of weight. I will continue this in December, along the edc challenge.
Group motivation will boost morale and yield better results in this kind of thing. Add to that the motivation of getting a shiny new badge, as well as getting healthier along the way.

This could be on any month in 2021, but there is no time like the present. Instead of making weightloss your new year's resolution, only to abandon it within a week, let's support each other this December, lose some weight, and greet the new year already fitter.

I will be documenting my progress in the EDC Challenge thread. Any other chubby bunnies that are looking to add another notch on their belt are welcome. :cheers:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: November 25, 2020, 02:08:13 PM

I am already on a strict diet, and have lost quite a lot of weight. I will continue this in December, along the edc challenge.
Group motivation will boost morale and yield better results in this kind of thing. Add to that the motivation of getting a shiny new badge, as well as getting healthier along the way.

This could be on any month in 2021, but there is no time like the present. Instead of making weightloss your new year's resolution, only to abandon it within a week, let's support each other this December, lose some weight, and greet the new year already fitter.

I will be documenting my progress in the EDC Challenge thread. Any other chubby bunnies that are looking to add another notch on their belt are welcome. :cheers:

I will happily join you on this, I need to lose a lot of weight myself  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #106 on: November 25, 2020, 07:13:57 PM
I will happily join you on this, I need to lose a lot of weight myself  :tu:

:like:
Welcome aboard! :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #107 on: November 26, 2020, 12:30:54 AM

I will join in. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #108 on: November 26, 2020, 01:40:45 AM
Me too!
Barry

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #109 on: November 26, 2020, 08:30:01 AM
The more the merrier! :like:
How many would we need for a badge to be created? :think:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #110 on: November 26, 2020, 10:33:09 AM
December Weightloss Challenge

1. ReamerPunch
2. GearedForwards
3. Sos24
4. Barry Rowland

Any other SwissChamps that want to be Explorers? :pok:

Also, I think it is ok to have this in the EDC Challenge thread, and maybe move it to its own if we get more people to join in. Or should it be in its own thread?

And what's the minimum amount of people we need for a badge to be created for this? :think:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #111 on: November 26, 2020, 11:18:25 AM
I think it's a good idea so consider it badge approved. Own thread would be good.   :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #114 on: November 30, 2020, 11:37:57 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh :woohoo: :ahhh :ahhh
Barry

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #115 on: December 11, 2020, 09:42:17 AM
The 14th Anniversary Anything Goes Challenge is missing from the opening post.
Anything Goes Official MTo 14th Anniversary Challenge in July

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD