Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help needed

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Help needed
on: April 21, 2020, 01:08:43 PM
Hi all. Yesterday showed you my new watch - today I show you an issue with it :))

The ring (bezel?) around the watch face rotates too easily IMO and even rattles a bit when I shake the watch holding the bracelet tightly. Please see an example on the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Aqd0WdkRM0

Is that a problem or should it be this way on Victorinox Alliance watch? Any ideas are appreciated

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Help needed
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 03:04:00 PM
from what I can tell...that is defective. I don't think the bezel should be turning at all. No markings on it and looks like it isn't a feature of that watch. I hate to say this, but Victorinox are known for producing high quality watches. I find it a little hard to believe that something like that could by-pass quality control. Is it possible that watch is a knock off?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 03:07:54 PM
from what I can tell...that is defective. I don't think the bezel should be turning at all. No markings on it and looks like it isn't a feature of that watch. I hate to say this, but Victorinox are known for producing high quality watches. I find it a little hard to believe that something like that could by-pass quality control. is it possible that watch is a knock off?
That’s what I tend to think to be honest. So sad - love the watch.

Do you think there should be a spring underneath the ring? Frankly speaking I was able to carefully remove the ring using a plastic guitar pick and there’s nothing between the watch and the ring - also no spring botch or any signs of it on the bezel or watch body.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 03:09:31 PM
from what I can tell...that is defective. I don't think the bezel should be turning at all. No markings on it and looks like it isn't a feature of that watch. I hate to say this, but Victorinox are known for producing high quality watches. I find it a little hard to believe that something like that could by-pass quality control. Is it possible that watch is a knock off?
As for the authenticity- it seems unlikely - all the signs are in favor of it being original. Are there any ways you know how one could tell if Vic Watch is a fake?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 03:12:45 PM
That’s what I tend to think to be honest. So sad - love the watch.

Do you think there should be a spring underneath the ring? Frankly speaking I was able to carefully remove the ring using a plastic guitar pick and there’s nothing between the watch and the ring - also no spring botch or any signs of it on the bezel or watch body.
Normally: If it can rotate, there's a round spacer in between with pins sticking out (can't describe it that well without a sketch) these pins apply pressure on the "gear" inside the bezel and make the clicking sound when turning it around while also locking it in the turned position.
They're usually tilted in one direction so the bezel can only move one way.

So no holes for a spring makes sense, but the bezel should have the gearlike form on the inside.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 03:18:04 PM
Well if that is not a fake, then it is a shocking quality control issue. You could return it, or bring it to a watch repair guy. he/she could tell you if its real and possibly fix it .

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 03:29:53 PM
Well if that is not a fake, then it is a shocking quality control issue. You could return it, or bring it to a watch repair guy. he/she could tell you if its real and possibly fix it .
Here are some pics

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0XbIlCkIdvbUfYaNm63GS-dqg

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 03:39:57 PM
Hard to tell indeed.

Can you show a picture of the crown and backside?

Downside of pictures is that we don't get a clue on weight/quality feel.

Even the sound of a loose bracelet gives me much info when holding a watch.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 03:58:04 PM
Hard to tell indeed.

Can you show a picture of the crown and backside?

Downside of pictures is that we don't get a clue on weight/quality feel.

Even the sound of a loose bracelet gives me much info when holding a watch.
Sure. I honestly believe it is authentic since it even has the right model number and all details on the bracelet, yet it surely is defective :(

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0L9VfYMgcSmoqP4Or6eZ8Hfdw

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 04:02:51 PM
Yup. Looks very good.

Also, keep in mind that the bezel might be a press fit. Maybe it was dropped? Used as a showpiece before being sold?
Or just smurfty QC...

none are certain...

I'd see for a repair/replacement if I were you.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Help needed
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 04:06:20 PM
Yup. Looks very good.

Also, keep in mind that the bezel might be a press fit. Maybe it was dropped? Used as a showpiece before being sold?
Or just smurfty QC...

none are certain...

I'd see for a repair/replacement if I were you.
See I consulted a watch repair speSmurfpillst I used to deal with before and he says I should get it replaced or returned because there should be a gasket underneath the bezel which is somehow absent. And he claims it’s almost impossible to find an exact one that would fit. The only Victorinox authorized service center is closed due to Covid-19 and I can’t really find any info whether this is actually fixable

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 04:12:43 PM
I'd first ask if this rotating bezel was a feature.  I'd then ask if this is a feature should it click or spin freely.  I have a rating bezel watches that "ratchet" as they rotate.

The other thing is none lift up as yours appear to do.

I'd send it back personally as these "issues" would not be features I'd be happy with.   
Esse Quam Videri

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Help needed
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 04:23:16 PM
I'd first ask if this rotating bezel was a feature.  I'd then ask if this is a feature should it click or spin freely.  I have a rating bezel watches that "ratchet" as they rotate.

The other thing is none lift up as yours appear to do.

I'd send it back personally as these "issues" would not be features I'd be happy with.
Yep, I’m about to return it I guess. If they have a replacement - I’ll gladly take it, if not - farewell then. That’s not the Swiss quality I’m happy to pay for
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:55:41 PM by alexanderre »

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 04:23:44 PM
Anyways thanks a lot to all of you guys helping me out there, really appreciate it

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 04:33:48 PM
Sorry it didn't work out.
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 05:07:03 PM
Yes. Watch seems to be real from the photos. Right move would be to return it for sure.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 07:48:25 PM by Chako »

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 06:39:17 PM
Yes. Watch appers to be real from photos. Right move would be to return it for sure.
Did just that. Sadly didn’t work out from two attempts, so I’ll pass on this initiative for now - universe seems to be trying to stop me from buying this watch for some reason

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 08:35:06 PM
Did just that. Sadly didn’t work out from two attempts, so I’ll pass on this initiative for now - universe seems to be trying to stop me from buying this watch for some reason
So I returned it and seller says he has cleaned it and there was a fraction of sand that didn’t allow for the bezel to get into place. I really doubt that statement. What do you think? I mean I washed the bezel in warm water and tried to put it into place myself and it didn’t work. Maybe he just glued the ring?...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 08:43:36 PM
SIGH.  For fun.  Sand huh?  How would a new watch get SAND in it?  Do Victorinox watched get built on a sandy island? 
Esse Quam Videri

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 08:54:48 PM
SIGH.  For fun.  Sand huh?  How would a new watch get SAND in it?  Do Victorinox watched get built on a sandy island?
Good point. I think he just glued it in place, though I asked him directly and he claims he didn’t “though it would have been the easiest solution”...

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 09:03:05 PM
Btw I got this watch for around 300$ in Kyiv. It usually costs around 550 GBP here in the official stores which is similar to the price on victorinox.com
At the same time eBay and Amazon are full of this and other Victorinox watch models for 200-300$ and not 600$ or more. How is that price difference even possible? Where do so many people buy those watches to resell them and to still remain profitable? What am I missing? I mean the one I returned surely is authentic, so what’s the trick?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 09:49:55 PM
:shrug:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86