Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Emisar D4 vs. Lumintop 3w3a?

Roc · 16 · 666

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Emisar D4 vs. Lumintop 3w3a?
on: October 25, 2019, 02:16:38 AM
Tying to decide between the two. Anyone have any experience with either light?

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Emisar D4 vs. Lumintop 3w3a?
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 04:09:01 AM
I have tried both and personally prefer the Emissar D4, even though I really wanted to like the FW3a more due to looks and tail switch.

The FW3a has had some issues and seems more temperamental from both things I’ve read and personal experience.  Mine has had issues, from arrival, with the driver retention ring loosening causing the light not to work.  Others have had issues with a small piece that is part of the tail switch.

Both have the same Andruil firmware with one being controlled via tail switch vs the other having a side switch.  Both also has a variety of emitters in warm/cool/neutral including HiCri.

Some reasons, other than reliability, I prefer the Emissar D4 are it is brighter and the quad beam pattern as compared to the triple LED of the FW3a.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:09:54 AM
The power of that D4 is incredible! I don't own one, but was watching videos because I was considering it. The guy fires it up and set a piece of paper on fire with it. One of the down sides is that it apparently heats up REAL quick in turbo mode....like, hard to hold hot.

The FW3A is a light that has a fanbase, but as sos pointed out, there are some issues that others have talked about being more common than I am comfortable with.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 06:18:51 AM
The power of that D4 is incredible! I don't own one, but was watching videos because I was considering it. The guy fires it up and set a piece of paper on fire with it. One of the down sides is that it apparently heats up REAL quick in turbo mode....like, hard to hold hot.

The FW3A is a light that has a fanbase, but as sos pointed out, there are some issues that others have talked about being more common than I am comfortable with.

The FW3A also heats up rather quickly on high/turbo.  Due to the high amp draw to put out so many lumens they create a lot of heat and the small size does not allow for a good heat sink.  It is not too much of an issue if you aware, but it is not a light that I would allow a child to use or let someone just borrow/use.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 06:28:29 AM
Yeah my FW3A is very flaky, if I don't have the head screwed on super tight it sometimes wont work or wont shut off, mostly a problem when changing the battery, but it is a fun light to play with. Lumintop needs to work on the QC and tolerances for this to be eliminated

I got it with a coupon for under $30 so if you wait until coupon comes around you can save some $, but I wouldnt pay full price unless they fix the issues.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 01:56:27 PM
Right now I am eagerly awaiting the release of the Olight M2R Pro. More powerful, better throw by 50% and almost all the runtimes have nearly doubled. Might be worth looking into.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 11:00:32 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Against popular opinion I pulled the trigger on an FW3A. It’s just a great looking light. I know I’m rolling the dice. I’m sure I’ll end up with both sooner or later anyway.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 04:39:48 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. Against popular opinion I pulled the trigger on an FW3A. It’s just a great looking light. I know I’m rolling the dice. I’m sure I’ll end up with both sooner or later anyway.

Just have patience with it  :rofl:
There is a troubleshooting thread on budget light forums if you have any issues, also needs flat top unprotected cells to work right.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 07:46:33 PM
Just have patience with it  :rofl:
There is a troubleshooting thread on budget light forums if you have any issues, also needs flat top unprotected cells to work right.

I’m a pretty patient guy. Thanks for the heads up on the troubleshooting thread. Hopefully I won’t need it.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 05:34:19 PM
I have and love both.
I go between them as the 2nd EDC that I carry after the SC64w that neither is really able to compare to for my uses.
The OS and ramping seemed like a great idea at first but for my use this is not a great solution really.
So I like both lights and prefer the clip and button on the FW3A and the output and the extra LEDs and features on the D4.

They both heat up exactly as I expected them to,way too much power in a light that has little mass to dissipate the heat!

Or what I think we can call FUN here! :climber:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 01:56:35 AM
Just received mine the other day and I love it. Hadn’t programmed it to my liking yet and handed it to a coworker. Big mistake. I have no clue what he did, but now it smooth ramps up all the way to turbo, and all the way down to moonlight. Comes on wherever you turn it off at. Any clues how to get it back to factory or where to go from here?

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 03:46:10 AM
Just received mine the other day and I love it. Hadn’t programmed it to my liking yet and handed it to a coworker. Big mistake. I have no clue what he did, but now it smooth ramps up all the way to turbo, and all the way down to moonlight. Comes on wherever you turn it off at. Any clues how to get it back to factory or where to go from here?

info is in here somewhere lol
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/66960
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67058

the anduril flow chart is confusing but if you watch the madmax vid, I think he shows how to go from ramp to step mode, I will look and see if I find it.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 03:56:11 AM
didnt find it yet, but make sure you set the temperature calibration as well

https://youtu.be/RW1VzLoNsfo

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 03:58:25 AM
I think if you click the switch 3 times while the light is on it will go to stepped mode.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 04:37:12 AM
info is in here somewhere lol
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/66960
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67058

the anduril flow chart is confusing but if you watch the madmax vid, I think he shows how to go from ramp to step mode, I will look and see if I find it.

I agree with this, which is why I have kept the programming to a very bare minimum.

Good luck with the light Roc.  I completely understand the looks part because that is what led me to try the FW3a as well.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 09:56:03 PM
Ok. Got it to step ramp mode. I’m happy with that. I have experienced none of the reported problems thus far. I gotta say this light is fantastic.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%