Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Alone"

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
"Alone"
on: November 06, 2019, 11:14:31 PM
I had watched the History Channel show "Alone" up until season three a few years ago, but had not really watched beyond that. I was telling a friend about it (he is wanting to learn bushcraft skills) and thought I should watch Season 4. I remember how much I love this show. I also have a great deal of respect for those that try this challenge. My buddy was saying something about people tapping out the first few days and I said, "It is always easy to sit on a comfortable couch and judge...it is another thing to be out there with no food, in the wet and cold, and be utterly alone." The mental aspect is a HUGE factor for many of these folks.

With that bit out of the way, I noted that many people on the show opt for a larger knife of some sort as their primary knife. I would be counted among them. I find it is easier to do small knife things with a big knife than trying to tackle big tasks with a small knife. I usually go for my BK9 when I go out to do any bushcrafting...just a personal preference. However, I always carry a SAK too (on the show they can only take 10 items, so they have to choose wisely) wherever I go.

So, let's play scenario here - Let's say you were going to be on the show, and as a surprise, they told you that in addition to your 10 chosen items, you could also take a folding knife of your choice, what would it be? Just for fun, let's say...top 3 choices.

Me:
1. Vic Huntsman - This is the knife I choose to carry everyday, whether in the woods or in the office. I find the tools to be exactly what I want to have on me given the choice. I know a blade is the obvious choice for cutting tasks, but have to admit that the scissors are also a frequently used tool. I love the saw on the SAK..it makes a great tool for cutting notches for traps, making tools and utensils, and the thing cuts like a mini chainsaw.

2. Swisstool of almost any variation - Again, an array of useful tools with the added bonus of locking blades. Pliers come in extremely handy for a lot of tasks...not the least of which is equipment repair.

3. Victorinox Outrider - Similar tools to my beloved Huntsman..add a larger locking blade and a larger saw and who can say no? Definitely a favorite.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

de Offline Shuya

Re: "Alone"
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:23:09 AM
For a SAK:  Wenger 57 Hunter.

Scissors are tempting, but the hunter beats in outdoor use.

Look for the movie "300 days" where some french dude lived almost a year on an island. what did he take? Wenger Hunter and a Machete.

Otherwise: Modded ST300 or Surge.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:58:57 AM by Shuya »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:22:33 PM
We've seen some carry a MT and one winner I forget his name carried a Spirit IIFC.  I'd bring a Surge ( modded ) for sure.  As a second choice I'd probably lean towards a 111mm or Wenger larger SAK tho I am not terribly familiar with all the models.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 02:47:48 PM
The Surge was the MT observed on the latest season and even named on the web site.  Previous seasons if I remember correctly the Surge (modded) made several cameos.

The brothers that won the team season used a Surge and it was videoed frequently doing camp tasks.

I know the winner who was from Maine whittled spoons with a MT, may have been a Spirit.

This last season iirc, the moose was dressed out by his Surge. 

On another show I enjoy, the “Last Alaskans”, Hiemo Kieth, Carries a Super Tool 300 on his left hip and he has field dressed Multiple moose and caribou during the seasons aired to date. 

Plus, on Alaska the Last Frontier, the Wave is utilized by Otto and others. Most notably removing porcupine quills from a horse.

And on the new show, The River of No Return, many carry a LM sheath on their belts. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline spudley112

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 03:13:05 PM
Yeah..one of the brothers even comments on how handy the multitool really is.

I have always carried my Huntsman, but I really am thinking of doing my own 30 day challenge with my Swisstool.

us Offline chewbacca

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 07:28:35 PM
I never leave my Swisstool X at home.  Even when I fly or go to some other restricted event, it rides along at least to the parking lot.  There is no way I would leave it at home when I go into the woods.

Second choice would be a modded 91mm SAK, Blade, combo tool, saw, file, scissors, chisel, awl, corkscrew...maybe a skinny Ranger.

Third choice would be an Outrider.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 07:47:59 PM
I never leave my Swisstool X at home.  Even when I fly or go to some other restricted event, it rides along at least to the parking lot.  There is no way I would leave it at home when I go into the woods.

I think that I will be the same way if I start carrying mine. It pretty much has all the tools I like to have on hand. I took my Swisstool with me last year on a trip to Arizona and was glad I did. I had a cholla cactus needle get stuck in the side of my foot and I had to use the pliers to get it out.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 07:56:10 PM
I love seeing what fixed blade knives the people use on the show.

I noticed a couple of Condor's in season 4. One had a Boomslang Bowie (I have one of those) and another had a Hudson Bay.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:33:25 PM
I love seeing what fixed blade knives the people use on the show.
~
I enjoying seeing the types and shapes of fixed blades, yet more importantly how they utilize their blade.

You can tell a lot about one’s experience with a tool just by how they handle that tool. For some, I have even expected harm was about to be experienced, just by how the tool was being held or used.

Moras have also been a chosen fix blade by a few. Companion or HD modes.

Hope yours is as good!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 09:58:08 PM
We've seen some carry a MT and one winner I forget his name carried a Spirit IIFC.  I'd bring a Surge ( modded ) for sure.  As a second choice I'd probably lean towards a 111mm or Wenger larger SAK tho I am not terribly familiar with all the models.   

Zachary Fowler, he has a very active YouTube channel about his stay at Alone and I think he did an episode where he shows what mods he did to the Spirit for the show.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC2h_ncHoP2v6OO_zFsMuOPQ/videos

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 10:44:47 PM
the Vic Spirit does cover my needs rather well as well
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 03:22:10 AM
For me:

• Vic Electrician X Plus - OK, so this is not a factory configuration, but would be pretty sweet.
  • Swisstool (original) - Lots of useful tools, one PE and one serrated blade
  • Surge

If I'm out there without backup(s) or help, I want all-metal handles, both for durability and so that the tool could be boiled to sterilize it without any ill effects.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 05:21:25 AM
Never heard of this show, so thanks for the tip  :tu: I just checked out the History website. Looks like you can watch Season 1 and 2 there. You don‘t even have to log in  :like:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 02:56:12 AM
I am watching the show on Hulu. I just started season 5 in Mongolia. It is a redemption season with participants from past seasons.

It is a really good show. It is easy to sit in comfort and judge the folks on the show, but I have nothing but respect for them even trying this task. My ex once commented that a lot of people break down crying on the show. I told her that being cold, hungry and alone messes with the mind in ways that are hard to understand. I used to do a week in the woods alone once a year (one week vacation for my woods week and the second week during deer season) and I can tell you that your thoughts turn inward in ways that everyday distraction prevent. It can be eye opening.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 03:44:45 PM
I feel really bad for a couple of the people that had to drop out. I felt that they could have done really well except for the circumstances that led them to have to tap out. The hook buried in the hand looked horribly painful and she did everything she could to get that out. When she tried chopping the eye off the hook with her knife, all I could think is how dang tough she was!!!!

The other one having to drop out due to an MS attack was sad also. I felt that she was very comfortable in the wilds and could have done quite well. They were both in tears at having to leave.

Personally, I would definitely want either of them with me if I had to survive...they had some great knowledge!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 03:47:06 PM
That hook incident was really a bummer.  I was thinking she was going all the way especially since she was medically eliminated on her last attempt.  She's one tough lady  :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 03:53:32 PM
I felt bad for her as well, and then she mentioned that she wish she had a MT in her kit, she could have taken care of it herself. 

Mentally the women do better, or so it appears. 

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline spudley112

Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 03:59:39 PM
I would love to learn some skills from either of them. Nicole's knowledge of flora and herbs is incredible. It was the unfortunate lack of much needed herbs that brought on her attack.

Their skills for food gathering are amazing...and their toughness...no question about it!

us Offline spudley112

Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 06:56:12 PM
In season 5, Britt cracks me up. He openly admits he is the least survival educated and prepped of all of them, but his mental attitude seems to be amazing. Dude had a bear outside his shelter and was as cool about it as I have ever seen. Then in one episode he is cracking himself up because he has the camera super close to his face and was like, "What if all my shots were this close?" He then starts laughing his head off. I bet that guy would be a hoot! I'd love to meet him.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 02:08:20 AM
Britt did have a great attitude on the show.  I enjoyed watching him and he actually did quite well IMO. 
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #20 on: November 10, 2019, 02:41:03 AM
You gotta hide the spoilers guys!  :pok:

We are still on season 1  :ahhh

us Offline spudley112

Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 02:53:36 AM
You gotta hide the spoilers guys!  :pok:

We are still on season 1  :ahhh

D'oh! Sorry man.

All I will say is that the first tap out in season 2 will kill you.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #22 on: November 10, 2019, 01:47:24 PM
 :popcorn:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #23 on: November 10, 2019, 11:32:33 PM
Finished season 5. I like that the show, and the participants struggles, teach me a lot about real scenarios you might face.

Getting enough food to survive seems to always be a major factor. Lonliness and mental well-being are a struggle, and finally, injury.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 01:57:06 AM
 :iagree: It is hard to understand how much loneliness and hunger can screw with you until you experience it yourself. Always easy to judge from a warm couch.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 03:14:51 AM
:iagree: It is hard to understand how much loneliness and hunger can screw with you until you experience it yourself. Always easy to judge from a warm couch.

Amen brother! We think being "hangry" because we have not had anything since breakfast is bad...some of these folks have not had more that 500 calories in over two weeks!

I have never considered myself a "prepper" but I have practiced skills to stay alive in the woods for years. I used to teach my kids when we would go on camping trips. HOWEVER, it kind of backfired on me. My daughter set up a snare by the back fence and nearly killed the neighbors cat and my son set the back yard on fire showing his friends how to use his ferro rod.  :facepalm:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #26 on: November 11, 2019, 02:58:49 PM
 :rofl: I know it is not funny, but that kinda came outta nowhere  :D

Seems like they know their stuff, they just need to improve the usage scenario  :cheers:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 03:51:29 PM
LOL... it is funny. It is one of those situations where you want to say, "You get an A+ for effort, but a D for appropriateness."

Vic - What season and episode are you on?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2019, 09:39:22 PM
 :rofl: :iagree:

We are almost done with Season 1. Slow progress  :ahhh

us Offline spudley112

Reply #29 on: November 11, 2019, 10:56:42 PM
Every one of these reality shows such as this (where people are removed from their day to day lives) makes me wonder what they do about their job? "Hey boss, can you hold my job for the next three months to a year?"

After people tap out, it cracks me up to hear their profound statements about getting in touch with the natural world or how they turned inward and learned so much about themselves. Me, I'd be like, "Dude, that was a heaping bowl of suck! I want twelve cheeseburgers and a hot shower!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%