Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Alone"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: "Alone"
Reply #60 on: November 25, 2019, 09:41:15 AM
Reading the comments on that site cracks me up. People got everything figured out...lol. What's that saying about everyone having a plan?

Then again, having some plan and preparation might be better than no plan at all? I mean even if the plan is bad, it might be even worse if the same persons are just totally winging it.

Thus I don't think plans as such are a bad thing. To me the issue seems more to be about overconfidence, wrong assumptions and lack of flexibility to adapt. I think that is just human though regardless of setting? More experience and knowledge tend reduce such issues, but that road can be long and one has to start somewhere. Some humility and realizing that one is actually just at the start of a long learning process might help too. (That is coming from someone who has been repeatedly bitten by thinking "How hard can it be?" Maybe I finally wised up?  ::) ).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: November 25, 2019, 02:36:15 PM
I dont think I've ever noticed a lighter as one of the items available.  Interesting how no one chose it as their ignition.  We get a lot of talk about how a ferro rod is a second choice to a lighter and the lighter being superior.  Wet condition, windy, tinder thats hard to light, long term etc etc.  Very interesting. 
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Shuya

Reply #62 on: November 25, 2019, 03:03:26 PM
I dont think I've ever noticed a lighter as one of the items available.  Interesting how no one chose it as their ignition.  We get a lot of talk about how a ferro rod is a second choice to a lighter and the lighter being superior.  Wet condition, windy, tinder thats hard to light, long term etc etc.  Very interesting.

Because a lighter has limited durability and can fail or break. A ferro rod, beeing harder to use in hard condition is bullet proof. It will produce sparks no matter what. Even if you break it in half it will work. You have to lose or burn it, as been seen in Alone.

I can understand this choice. If I had to choose only one fire source I would get the biggest ferro rod I can find.

I would not trust a lighter no matter who build it in harsh wet conditions if I depend on them.
Just ask someone who smokes how safe a lighter is in 60 days of regular rain and cold.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: November 25, 2019, 03:14:32 PM
A lighter is on the „no-go“ list. They are not permitted to take one.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #64 on: November 25, 2019, 07:42:39 PM
I agree, you have to have a plan of action...I just meant the comments are funny on that site because everyone is sitting there criticizing or saying, "All you have to do is..." It is one thing to have theories about survival, another to get out there and do it.

I remember thinking I was getting really good and lighting fires without matches or a lighter...until I tried it on a windy, rainy cold day. I could not maintain a dry piece of tinder for the life of me and was really struggling with the cold. I used a tarp to shield me, but my fingers were so numb I could barely get a spark. True survival is not always ideal, and a backup plan and backup backup plan is always needed.

A friend of mine wanted to learn more about survival after watching Alone. I told him to wait for the crappiest weather, then go out and put your skills to the test. It is the best teacher.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 08:14:46 PM
A lighter is on the „no-go“ list. They are not permitted to take one.

My bad.  I totally read it wrong.  I would not choose a lighter myself.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #66 on: November 25, 2019, 08:26:56 PM
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" or something like that is usually credited to Mike Tyson.  Its such a true sentiment.  While I am a planner myself you've got to adapt.  I'd imagine there are those who just wanted to test themselves while others wanted to push their limits.  What I've witnessed is true in most physical situations, our minds give up well before our bodies.  We have safety mechanisms build in.  I wont get into the beliefs of neuroscience and psychology but there is something in play there.

You've got to have skills as well because "crashing" into survival isn't going to cut it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #67 on: November 26, 2019, 01:14:23 AM
I should propose my own survival show. "Hell's Survival"

It is like "Alone" but once a week, Gordon Ramsay shows up and yells at you for your survival techniques then goes around your camp throwing your crap all over the place.

Other ideas:

"Jersey Survival" - A bunch of vapid hipsters are tossed into an unforgiving landscape to survive. We know they won't make it, but we get the pleasure of watching the Jersey Shore cast slowly die of exposure or starvation - bonus footage of the rest of the group killing and eating Snookie.

"Real Housewives of Survivalists" - While their husbands struggle to survive in the wilderness, a group of entitled gals sit around drinking wine and backstabbing each other.

Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: November 26, 2019, 03:55:32 AM
I should propose my own survival show. "Hell's Survival"

It is like "Alone" but once a week, Gordon Ramsay shows up and yells at you for your survival techniques then goes around your camp throwing your crap all over the place.

Other ideas:

"Jersey Survival" - A bunch of vapid hipsters are tossed into an unforgiving landscape to survive. We know they won't make it, but we get the pleasure of watching the Jersey Shore cast slowly die of exposure or starvation - bonus footage of the rest of the group killing and eating Snookie.

"Real Housewives of Survivalists" - While their husbands struggle to survive in the wilderness, a group of entitled gals sit around drinking wine and backstabbing each other.

:rofl:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: December 16, 2019, 04:44:23 AM
Nothing to do with Alone.. but I thought it unwise to start a new thread to ask this question:

In the documentary Meru from 2015 - Theres a scene where they are roasting some foodstuffs over a stove using three different knives.  There's a 4-layer SAK, and a small Spyderco ... but I can't quite identify the third.  It appears to be a Leatherman Wave blade, but the handle seems to have the texture of a Leatherman Juice. 

Has anyone seen the film?  the scene is around the 30 minute mark... give or take.

I'm always curious to see what multitools people carry when survival is a secondary thought.  Rather than knowing what the survival instructors carry, I always wonder what the multitool of choice is for climbers, mountaineers, thru-hikers, and the like.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: December 17, 2019, 05:21:51 AM
:rofl:

:iagree:   Maybe we could convince the network to cast these three shows all together, it sounded to me they could all happen at once, running parallel to each other. :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: December 17, 2019, 05:22:28 AM
Nothing to do with Alone.. but I thought it unwise to start a new thread to ask this question:

In the documentary Meru from 2015 - Theres a scene where they are roasting some foodstuffs over a stove using three different knives.  There's a 4-layer SAK, and a small Spyderco ... but I can't quite identify the third.  It appears to be a Leatherman Wave blade, but the handle seems to have the texture of a Leatherman Juice. 

Has anyone seen the film?  the scene is around the 30 minute mark... give or take.

I'm always curious to see what multitools people carry when survival is a secondary thought.  Rather than knowing what the survival instructors carry, I always wonder what the multitool of choice is for climbers, mountaineers, thru-hikers, and the like.

I have Meru, love that film.  Let me dig it out and see whether I could help to identify the tool.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: December 17, 2019, 08:34:49 AM
I have Meru, love that film.  Let me dig it out and see whether I could help to identify the tool.

An older gen? Petzl Spatha?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: December 17, 2019, 11:39:06 AM
An older gen? Petzl Spatha?

Wow!  Someone beats me to it!  :D

It's rather dark in the tent, but judging from its reflection, I too think it is an older Spatha or a variation of that.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: December 17, 2019, 11:46:59 AM

I too am interested in the choice of gears for the thru-hikers, because their gears are usually lighter weight/compact and relatively durable.  But in terms of MT, some well known thru hikers I watched are so concerned about weight saving that they probably will keep everything to absolute minimal(something along the line of SAK Classics/Cadet)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: December 17, 2019, 03:30:18 PM
Wow!  Someone beats me to it!  :D

It's rather dark in the tent, but judging from its reflection, I too think it is an older Spatha or a variation of that.

(Image removed from quote.)

:MTO:

You guys rock!   :2tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: December 17, 2019, 03:34:17 PM

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: December 17, 2019, 03:42:09 PM
I too am interested in the choice of gears for the thru-hikers, because their gears are usually lighter weight/compact and relatively durable.  But in terms of MT, some well known thru hikers I watched are so concerned about weight saving that they probably will keep everything to absolute minimal(something along the line of SAK Classics/Cadet)

I notice a lot of ultra-light thru-hikers who make appearances on the Interwebs in some form or another use SAK classics too. 

My thought is, catching a real outdoor expert in a virtual pocket dump is as helpful as it gets. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #78 on: December 17, 2019, 04:30:00 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: December 17, 2019, 04:35:58 PM
Interesting thing I've heard ultra lightweight hikers say is "remove the label from items to save weight".  Something along those lines. 

Cant fault them at all.  What works, works.  I don't feel the need to tell anyone I know what they should carry.  Suggestions are great however and I do love that.  I've learned a lot listening to what others carry and come up with some great suggestions.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: December 19, 2019, 01:33:58 AM
Thanks again everyone!

Please get your votes in on the poll in the Outdoor and Survival Forum - let see what people here carry.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83526.0.html

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: December 25, 2019, 04:24:12 PM

:cheers:

Comis

I just watched your MT saw comparison from 2015 on YouTube.  Very nicely done!  :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I literally did not buy a new Vic Farmer for outdoor use for Christmas because of your testing - as it is not necessarily better than my current 91mm models and probably slower than the Trekker. 

I really should take my rambling elsewhere, shouldn't I  - please to join me on https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83526.0.html
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 04:44:18 PM by ElevenBlade »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD