Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Explorer like SAK mode with small blade only 408

Sr. Member Posts: 392
Explorer like SAK mode with small blade only
« on: November 09, 2019, 09:00:42 PM »
This is my first SAK mode and I made this: 3 layers, 76g, only small blade

I used a second hand Swiss Champ for parts

I started drilling out the brass pivots

I did make progress

But it was very slow work, and when I tried to prise off the bushing I was damaging the overhang lip on the bushing   :rant:

So I gave up on that approach and used the Dremel to grind off the bushing  :facepalm:

Here are the selected parts from the Swiss Champ, that I planned to rebuild into something new

The small blade spacer is a little too wide, and the backspring for the small blade and cap lifter is a little narrow for both tools.  It does work, but the cap lifter sometimes returns to closed position and hits the blade.  I don't feel this is a big problem.  The nail nick on the small blade is a little low, I I can still open the blade.  YMMV.

I made my own bushings to replace the ones I destroyed. I had some brass tubing that I sliced up.  I didn't have the best fitting sizes, but it worked.

I got some 91mm 3D printed sclaes from internet, and aksed seller to invert the design for the top scale and print it for the opposite side. 

Sr. Member Posts: 467
Re: Explorer like SAK mode with small blade only
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:14:14 PM »
Good work.  :cheers:

Which back spring did you use for the small blade and lifter, and what made you choose that one? Could you share a link for those scales?
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,107
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
Great mod! :tu:   I love the small blade on the 91mm, found myself using that most majority of the times

Same questions as Tommy. :pok: :D
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 10:19:21 PM »
As in the pic showing the exploded layers view, I used the cap lifter/can opener back spring for the cap lifter and small blade.  The backspring is probably a fraction too thin for a perfect fit, especially if you add the small blade spacer.  But if you don't add the spacer the small blade and cap lifter share too much of the same space.  Even with my solution, the cap lifter sometimes comes down on top of the small blade, and I have to push the cap lifter sideways for it to fully close.  It's a tight squeeze in there!  The nail nick is also low on the main blade, but I can still pull out the small blade --- in a way, it's nice the small blade is hidden away as it might this EDC friendlier.

From whet I've learnt from those with more experience than me on the Forums, is that SAK back springs and tools don't mix and match easily.  I kept the cap lifter backspring, because it gives a half-stop to the cap lifter (and I'm not sure any other back spring from the Swiss champ would work anyway.)

Not sure if I am allowed to give out the link, but if you search "etsy victorinox scales 3d printed" you will see some sellers.  I bet most of those who 3d print could flip the pattern for the top scale to make a mirror image for the bottom scale, without cut out.

The most interesting thing Iearnt, is that it's possible to make crude bushings from brass tubing, and these seem to do the job just as well as the originals (which are difficult to salvage when taking apart the donar SAK).
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »
I did some mroe work this weekend.  I took apart an old explorer, and used a set of bushings from that for this build since I had destroyed one set when I made this.  I also gouged out a slot on the 3D printed scales for a pen --- plus scales!

One problem is that the liner I used for the outher scissor layer does not hold in the pen.

I only realised the problem after I repeened the pins, so I'm not changing it now.  The pen and scissors play OK together.  The scissors just pushes the pen back into the groove in the scales.  Next time I'll know better,or put the pen on the other scale.

Jr. Member Posts: 87
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 11:05:34 PM »
Good Mod BePrepared!  Nice photos too.  Thanks for sharing.
No Life Club Posts: 2,112
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 02:32:23 AM »
Can you provide a link for the scales please?  :cheers:

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
No Life Club Posts: 3,710
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 02:40:55 AM »
You can find these on Etsy. Search for the store „Taschenmesser“  :cheers:

Instagram: @lordvicalot
No Life Club Posts: 3,151
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 02:53:07 AM »
Nice mod.  A lot like the Yeoman, which is my favorite SAK.  I can see where that would be very useful.
No Life Club Posts: 2,112
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 03:20:33 AM »
You can find these on Etsy. Search for the store „Taschenmesser“  :cheers:
Thanks!

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,717
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 11:38:49 AM »
Nice mod.  I also have a heck of a time salvaging those bushings. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $31.00
PayPal Fees: $2.39
Net Balance: $28.61
Below Goal: $271.39
Site Currency: USD