Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What lights would you take camping?

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
on: November 09, 2019, 11:10:44 PM
For this scenario, let's say it is more than just a weekend camping trip. We will assume we are going to be camping for a week and you have the choice of two lights to take. Also, for this camping trip, you will be hiking to new campsites and need to be able to pack everything in your backpack.

So what would your top two choices be?
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: What lights would you take camping?
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 11:19:34 PM
  BioLite SunLight Portable Solar Light, as it can recharge on its own, and hang out where ever. Ozak Trail 750 lumen flashlight, LED Lenser H7R headlamp, and a Serac S3 for backup. However, I would also be packing the Suntactics 14 watt solar charger and a BioLite CampStove II so can recharge either day or night, and the latter can cook as well.

While I do have limited resources, these all happily work well together.  :tu:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 11:29:02 PM
  BioLite SunLight Portable Solar Light, as it can recharge on its own, and hang out where ever. Ozak Trail 750 lumen flashlight, LED Lenser H7R headlamp, and a Serac S3 for backup. However, I would also be packing the Suntactics 14 watt solar charger and a BioLite CampStove II so can recharge either day or night, and the latter can cook as well.

While I do have limited resources, these all happily work well together.  :tu:

That camp stove is pretty awesome. 3W charging is pretty impressive.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 12:12:41 AM
Probably my usual EDC ZL64w and a matching Headlamp,a no brainer for me.

I rely on my EDC already and it would seem pretty silly to me to deviate from them for this?

us Offline spudley112

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 12:28:44 AM
Probably my usual EDC ZL64w and a matching Headlamp,a no brainer for me.

I rely on my EDC already and it would seem pretty silly to me to deviate from them for this?

Agreed on EDC. There is a reason it is carried everyday. A headlamp is a must for me when camping. I am in the market for a good one right now. Thinking of going with the Sofirn SP40 or Nitecore HC33.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 01:47:04 AM
I just bought a 21w Necktek solar charger. Can't wait to give it a try out camping.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 02:48:02 AM
For my upcoming camping trips, I wanted to use my EDC lights as lanterns too when needed. I found my simple and cheap solution. I keep a basket full of shampoo and soap that I get from motels when I travel. They are the perfect size for packing on motorcycle trips. I had an empty shampoo bottle, and cut the top off and found it to be the perfect size to fit over my Thrunite T1 and my Sofirn SP31.

To keep the proper shape to fit over the end of my light, I boiled water, then poured it into a bowl and placed the cut bottle in it to soften. I then put it over the flashlight lens and let it cool...viola, instant difuser.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 04:28:07 AM
My Fenix LD22 and HL30.  Run them both on non-rechargeable lithium batteries, and take about four spare batteries as well.  I think I have a factory diffuser for the LD22, so maybe throw that in as well.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 05:43:10 PM
Excellent solution for a diffuser 8) :like:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 06:29:12 PM
Ah. Missed this thread.

I've got a Led Lenser F1R (18650) and Olight S1R (RCR123A).

The main advantage is that they can both take a regular CR123A (the F1R can take 2 CR's instead of the 18650).

So I carry one or two CR's when I know I won't be able to recharge for some time.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 10:52:10 AM
If I were car camping, two hands down on my most trusted Coleman gas lantern, mostly for nostalgic reason.

If car camping is not an option or with children involved, then probably one of the following fenix led lanterns:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 11:03:57 AM
I would take a Black Diamond headtorch and a little Olight as backup, all run on AAAs.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 11:58:58 AM
Always a headlamp, you need both hands most of the time, for setting up tents, opening the zipper when going sleeping, collecting firewood, lighting a fire cooking, ... All done MUCH easier with both hands, and much more practical than holding a flashlight with your teeth.

I mostly have my Petzl Tikka+ for the red led option when not out and about as the red light doesn't attract the bugs as much as the regular white light does. And not having a bunch of bugs fliying ariund your head when you're trying to have dinner is always a plus :D

And I carry a Zebralight H51 as a backup. You know, two is one and all that.

If I need more light, there's my 2000+ lumen helmet lamp :whistle:

it Offline Stefano

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 10:00:43 PM
I would definitely bring with me a headlamp like Zebralight (H600Fw or H604w or c / d) or an Armitek Elf C2 or Wizard warm.

Even a lantern would be useful in a tent, I have a Fenix CL25R that I sometimes use in the house, it is good and has a neutral light (it is no longer in production, now there are newer and better performing models)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 12:02:14 AM
Definitely due to get some new lights.
I typically take a headlamp (zebralight h52w?) and something with a diffuser like the thrunite t10.
If I need to go lightweight then it will be a similar setup in aaa.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 12:03:52 AM
If I need more light, there's my 2000+ lumen helmet lamp :whistle:

You still slunking?

us Offline spudley112

Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 12:35:25 AM
I have always taken a headlamp with me wen camping. Usually a cheap Ozark Trail (honestly, this thing has been working like a champ for years!) but decided to get something with a little more power and versatility. I just received an Imalent HR20. I LOVE the "wheel" adjustment for brightness, but read some reviews on Amazon that were less than flattering. I am hoping any past issues have been addressed by Imalent because I really like this light.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 06:29:21 PM
You still slunking?

Vertical caving, rope access and all that, a few hundred meters deep underground. We mostly have vertical caves around here. But I'd love to one day come ti NZ and go caving with you. All the photos and videos I've seen of your caves are amazing.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 07:48:20 PM
I could use some ideas for what I should get. ???

I've been taking small flashlights that extend out into a lantern. The one I've been using all year... silly me... I don't remember the brand...  I have the Nite Ize 3 in1, and the one I've been using is similar, but half the length.  I prefer the shorter one for ergonomics, brightness has been less important to me.  Most of the time I'm using the lantern mode, to be honest.   

That said, I'm still trying to find my preferred level of brightness.  Out in the woods, I tend not to walk around with a flashlight on, and don't use it to find my way around.  I use a flashlight to look at and for things for a few seconds at a time.  Testing out the lights in town seems to be pretty unhelpful in trying to decide what works for me in the woods.  I don't yet have a sense of how many lumens I need. 

I just got my hands on a dual brightness level Wenger LED, which I think came with someone else's wrissmurfch.

What I don't like about any of these flashlights is the strobe, SOS and emergency modes.  Its an added feature that just sorta annoys me, and I'd rather not have it.  If I need to use my flashlight to signal, I can do that manually. 

Been thinking of getting a solar-powered lantern, Luci in particular.  I like the idea of never needing to replace batteries or remembering to charge it up at home. 

So...  to answer the question of what lights I would take camping -
Nite Ize 3 in 1 or something similar... smaller would be better.
Alternatively, a dual brightness LED that's smaller than about three inches, and a solar-powered lantern. 

If anyone has any ideas of what I can look into, I would be glad to hear it. 

us Offline spudley112

Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 10:53:50 PM
I know the struggle of finding exactly the light to fit certain parameters. It can be a journey in and of itself.

One light I THINK might be close to fulfilling your needs is the Lumintop EDC05C. One click for the front facing flashlight, two clicks for the side light. It has the other annoying modes, but only if you hold down the button to purposely cycle through the different modes. I figure you can set it to the light output you want, and never worry about cycling through the other stuff.

http://www.lumintop.com/edc05c.html

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 11:11:24 PM
I know the struggle of finding exactly the light to fit certain parameters. It can be a journey in and of itself.

One light I THINK might be close to fulfilling your needs is the Lumintop EDC05C. One click for the front facing flashlight, two clicks for the side light. It has the other annoying modes, but only if you hold down the button to purposely cycle through the different modes. I figure you can set it to the light output you want, and never worry about cycling through the other stuff.

http://www.lumintop.com/edc05c.html

:like:

Thanks - this does look good

us Offline spudley112

Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 11:17:14 PM
I know it does not fit every parameter, but it seems close. I recently bought a Necktek 21w solar charger and I take lights with me that can be recharged in the field...or at least take my Basen usb smart charger with me. The solar charger folds up nicely and I coupled it with some USB meters so I know which direction to turn the solar panels for max output.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 12:02:09 AM
I also recommend the solar panel instead of a solar light / lantern.
It is more efficient and money is well spent, today there are USB chargers (see Xtar) that you can connect to the solar panel
But the panel is useful for every device not only for flashlights.
Buy on Amazon a 21 W panel (Sunpower) with two or 3 sheets, they do not weigh much and are now affordable.
I between purchases on Ebay and Amazon I think I have about 7 or 8 pieces

us Offline spudley112

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 12:06:48 AM
I agree Stefano. I was tempted to buy a power bank with a built in solar panel, but read reviews. Devices with a single small solar panel seem to be WAY under powered. The power banks apparently take nearly a week to charge with the single solar panel.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 12:13:52 AM
I like the Anker panels and have some that have 12vdc directly out too.
The problem with the lights with Solar Charging inside is that they have really low output and small batteries and often will not run until you have charged them recently which for me is always way past the time that I need them too!

With panels and batteries you can just charge any light in a much more timely manner I think.

I also always have my EDC ZL in the pocket and I just carry a home made diffuser along to turn it into a Lantern as needed.

Then I have 12 levels I can choose from for different needs in camp.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 12:26:31 AM
Wow!  thanks for the advice, you guys really seem to know what you're talking about.  I'll scrap the solar lantern idea and get a solar panel. 

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Is 28w instead of 21w worth it?

To clarify - I should get solar panels, and a separate power bank?   So it goes: panels to bank.  disconnect... then bank to flashlight/phone
Is that right?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:36:20 AM by ElevenBlade »

it Offline Stefano

Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 12:28:33 AM
I agree Stefano. I was tempted to buy a power bank with a built in solar panel, but read reviews. Devices with a single small solar panel seem to be WAY under powered. The power banks apparently take nearly a week to charge with the single solar panel.

They have low efficiency.
That mini panel is only for help / maintenance
Then there is a conflict. : Solar panel must be in the sun, lithium batteries / powerbank if they are away from the direct heat of the summer sun is better,
If I use the summer solar panel I always try to protect the powerbank or batteries from direct sunlight.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 12:46:27 AM
Wow!  thanks for the advice, you guys really seem to know what you're talking about.  I'll scrap the solar lantern idea and get a solar panel. 

I started with 7 W panels and already they load 18650 batteries without problems.
Then I bought from 14 W, 18 W, 21 W.
28 W is better but the cost goes up and maybe even the weight, if you have to carry them in a backpack the 21 W version is better.
Watch on Amazon, Anker, RAV Power (good but heavier) AllPowers, EasyAcc.
(check that in the description say "Sunpower" but now they are all like this, Sunpower is a more efficient technology than the old monocrystalline, they are lighter and more efficient)
For the use you need to do, check that they are panels with 5 V output (12 V is for other uses such as charging a car battery)

Two years ago on Amazon I saw 21W panels
SanSiDo (unknown brand) for 8 euros each, I thought they were a toy or a scam. were 3 pieces available I bought them, they were a great deal because they work great.
With a little patience you can buy good panels at a low price.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 01:05:00 AM
Here is an Anker 14watt panel as an example.
This one will deliver 2amps at 5volts in good sun and is pretty capable of charging up batteries in standard chargers like many of us already have and use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline spudley112

Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 01:09:08 AM

To clarify - I should get solar panels, and a separate power bank?   So it goes: panels to bank.  disconnect... then bank to flashlight/phone
Is that right?

My panel has two usb ports. If I need to charge a power bank, I connect it to one of the usb ports and my flashlight to the other port. There are also some power banks that have pass through while charging...meaning they can charge a device WHILE they are connected to a power source. My Basen charger will charge via usb and also has a usb out port so I can charge another device from a battery inserted into the charger. It is a pass through device so if power is connected, the battery charges WHILE charging the device. Pretty cool charger.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%