Wow, sounds like a lot of work! Thanks for doing this, Max! Maybe we can change the layout to make the built easier I mean this was really out of the ordinary.
Pretty cool mod! Still, a word of caution: they might consider the scissors and awl as "blades". Careful not to loose your knife because of that!
Really nice work,! [It's not failure if you learn something from it]
Ok, so let's re-think the layout.How about this:L1: Scissors / Corkscrew with mini screwdriver L2 Metal File/Saw (tip rounded) / small screwdriverL3: Opener Layer / HookPlus Scales- I did not include the 3D Philips because the only option for the opposing side is the magnifying glass. And a lot of people don't need that. Also the opener layer has a Philips already. Not 3D but still available.- Layer 1-3 would make for a pretty thin SAK - I left out the wood saw for several reasons. First this SAK would be more designed toward city/office environment. No real need for a wood saw. Also the teeth are kinda sharp and could be considered a sharp tool or intimidating (Yes, I know )- Round off the tip of the metal file so it would not be considered a pointy tool Additional optional layers:L4: PliersThe addition of the pliers would add extra usability while keeping the width to that of an Explorer.L5: Bit Driver/Bit Holder (Cybertool) I do not own a Cybertool, so no idea how much width that layer would add. Maybe someone can chime in here.Thoughts?
Decided to go with the double backspring to accommodate both openers. This of course means you need to use two opener layer backsprings, and they need serious reprofiling, a lot more than I expected.Switching the can opener to be next to the cap lifter is easy enough. Just a small adjustment to the heel of the backspring so that it closes at the correct angle.But the Phillips was another story. I first reprofiled the backspring to follow the same shape as the original spring to get the correct closing/opening positions. But it was way too stiff - to a point where I could hardly lift it out the layer.After lots of head scratching, I figured out that it’s simply a case of having TWO backsprings pressing on the tool, so it literally has twice the force being applied to keep it closed.So I trimmed down the backsprings (the end that lies under the Phillips) to about half the thickness to reduce their strength. I’ve now got about the right tension on the Phillips, but of course, the openers and back tools are a little weaker.I don’t think there’s any solution to this, as the tools share the same backsprings, and with 2 tools on one side and 1 on the other, it’s always going to be difficult to get a suitable balance. I’ve got it close, but not quite as I’d like it.
Here you go. If I understand correct (I have no experience modding a SAK) re-profiling the backsprings and all the adjustments necessary it seems to be too much of a hassle to be worth it. It would also increase the width.
No stress, Max