Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Mod: The Pocket Workshop?

us Offline DavZell

First Mod: The Pocket Workshop?
on: February 05, 2021, 10:57:58 PM
Some of you may have seen my plea for help with drilling new pivot holes last weekend.  My carbide bit finally came, and my first mod is now complete!  :climber:

My goal was to make a better (for me, of course) MiniChamp and Pocket Tool Chest.  There were a few things in the MiniChamp that I never use, and a few things in the PTC that I wanted to bring over.  Since the PTC is a larger Wenger, I had to cut the tools I wanted down to size and drill new pivot holes (the last part being where I got held up). Side note: for every .1mm I drilled, it seemed I lost .5mm off my carbide drill bit.  I only got one, and have but a stub left.

The tools I removed from the MiniChamp were:  cuticle/spatula thing, ruler/screwdriver, and nail file, plus the scales and their tools.
The tools I added from the PTC were: the awl and the fine screwdriver.
Edit: Also took a flat screwdriver from a Mate.
One tool I made from scratch was a CBN sharpening blade with 350 on side and 600 on the other.  I cut it from a credit card version I already had.
I also made the scales.  I'm not sure, but I think they are cocobola.  It's one of of my favorite woods.  This looks like it, but worked a little differently.  More brittle/hard or something.  Much to my amazement, they freakin' snapped on!
The whole thing is held together by 1.6mm stainless screws with nuts, with the screws acting as pivots as well.

I will do this again and refine and fix a few things.  There are two main issues.  The first is that I installed the tools in the order that I wanted them without regard to nail nicks.  I might rethink the layout to better accommodate them.  The second was a manufacturing defect.  One of the PTC tools and the CBN blade both stuck up a little when closed.  I mistakenly thought this meant their bottoms were to low/thick vertically - meaning too much on the tool along the bottom from the pivot-line towards the springs.  So I ground some off.  Turns out, I was wrong. :rant:  They now stick up more.  That's especially painful on the CBN, as that was not easy to make.  I went through two saw blades cutting that little piece off the end of the card.

With no further ado, what I am calling the Pocket Workshop (hope it's not taken)...

Feedback would be appreciated!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:41:38 PM by DavZell »
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: First Mod: The Pocket Workshop?
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 09:43:38 AM
Looks really good, cool mod!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

Online ComboTool

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 01:12:41 PM
Great mod, although I have to say that I cringe every time someone destroys a PTC  :-\

us Offline DavZell

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 04:28:53 PM
Great mod, although I have to say that I cringe every time someone destroys a PTC  :-\

It was a damaged PTC.  I have another on the way which I will try to redo the bad parts from.  Otherwise, I agree.  I have one decent one, as well.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 05:41:01 PM
For those who are interested or inquired about the knife, here are pictures of how the PTC screwdriver and CBN file stick up a bit, and also how they rub a bit.

The PTC driver are on the far right, touching:

David

Offline bliss58

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 11:45:15 PM
Thanks for sharing the process. I enjoy modding 58mm, but haven't taken the plunge in using pivots and drilling out parts.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 02:16:13 AM
Nice work!
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

gb Offline Dexter

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 06:50:33 PM
Very nice. The wood makes it look really classy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The_Raven

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 01:21:40 AM
I was just thinking about a mod like this! I have a minichamp and love it, but yeah, the nail file and spatula are essentially useless to me. I just recently learned about the PTC  :whistle: (yes, I do live under a rock) and thought these two would make the perfect marriage. I did not think of the blade sharpener, though. Neat idea.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 02:00:57 PM
 :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68