Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maxpedition Backpack Recommendation!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Maxpedition Backpack Recommendation!
on: December 27, 2008, 02:22:11 AM
Hey guys, I am looking for a Maxpedition backpack.. Any ideas on the one to get? I have a good amount of other Maxpedition gear, but no backpacks..
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Maxpedition Backpack Recommendation!
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 02:31:56 AM
What are you going to do with it?

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 02:36:40 AM
I am going to be using this bag for outdoor activities.. It can't be too big, that's my only requirement!
B

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 03:43:47 AM
http://www.ebags.com/maxpedition/vultureiitrade_backpack/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=103269&productid=1272954&sourceID=GOOGFEED&color=Green&CAWELAID=108287828

Maxpedition VULTURE-II™ BACKPACK
  # Dramatically improved second generation of our three (3) day military pack
  # Y-shaped top compression strap and 4 lateral compression straps
  # Front pocket approx. 15.5" x 12" x 2.5"
  # Breathable ergonomic shoulder straps
  # Non-slip abrasion-resistant bottom
  # Compatible with 100 oz. water reservoir (not included)
  # Various attachment points for modular expansion
  # Durable drag handle

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 02:53:00 PM
I am going to be using this bag for outdoor activities.. It can't be too big, that's my only requirement!

what sort of activities?
i mean,it depends so much on your needs.

do u carry cookware,sleepeing bag,extra clothes there,or just day-hike stuff like some fast-meal,camera etc,but nothin bigger.
how many days youll be spendin in the outdoors if you are goin to sleep in the wild?
here we often carry 50 litre packs,if we spend just one or two night in woods,at summer.and when you start to sleep in the wild for some 3-7 nights,you should consider real outdoor backpack that holds some 70-95 litres of capacity,especially at winter,when you carry a loyt more nutrition,fuel/gas,clothes,heavier sleeping gear,etc with you.at that point,at least,you should check for backpacks made for hiking,not military backpacks as they are designed for different purposes,and in most of the cases theyre always way too small for any longer trips,and the harness is built for battle,not for comfort carry.if youre goin to be there over-night,id suggest you check out some Bergans backpacks as well.they supplu norwegian army,and have military coloured/styled but a lot better backpacks for civilian use.Maxpeditions are bomb proof,yes but if the use aint hard and it has to be comfortable/light too,just check out other brands as well.BUt they are,after all designed for person who has to be able to ditch the backpack in seconds,to be able to climb,crawl and fire weapons from  shoulder,while the pack is on persons shouldrs.and that makes many military backpacks a bit of a drag to carry as they are shaped to be narrow,to allow free movement of arms,so the  volume is built in line that grows away from guys back,and so on,the point of weight is often so out of line from the one who carries it,that it makes you swing back and forth easily,there fore making your walk heavy and unsecure if the gear has not been loaded with well thought order(in most of the vases you should put the heavy items as close to your back as u can and as high as u can).

latery i got this and its  about the most legendary and sturdiest ever made here,and it sure is heavy and rugged but so what,it takes s big load of gear and aint so expensive.

has welded steel tubular frame,85 litres volume in main cargo part and superb adjustments.

if u compare it to maxpeditions bigger backpacks,its whole lot different:
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/catalog/img_2891_1892_detail.jpg
this is just 46 litres of volume.so it wont be the best for trips where you carry fgear for more than 3 nights at maximum.ofcourse it its good IF you carry only the crucials,like few MRe packs,tarp,etc,like military would do,and leave away all the un necessary gimmicks.

have u tried some surplus backpacks,i think that in your location some used ALICE packs arent expensive at all and theyr e way good and share this nice outlook as well,if you like army-style.and they have very very nice sturdy bear loading system too,so u can carry those easily for long perioids,as they share load/weight to your hip too,not just for shoulders.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 03:59:03 PM
It's going to be like a daypack. I already have a North Face backpack, but I am not impressed..
B

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 04:13:09 PM
I have the Maxpedition Condor and Pygmy Falcon and like both of them, though for different uses.

The Condor has a larger main compartment and I have taken it on trips. It has a separate compartment to hold a hydration bladder, though I use that compartment for other purposes.  The only downside is that it can take extra time to unsnap the compression straps before accessing the compartments.

The Pygmy Falcon is more of an EDC bag.  I like the 2 external bottle holders and usually keep a pair of gloves in one of them.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline David

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 06:42:37 AM
 You might want to check out the TAD Gear FAST Pack EDC. I dont have one. But they look interesting.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline SnWnMe

Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 12:45:46 AM
Hi. If all you want is a daypack I highly recommend the Pygmy Falcon II. Plenty of room for a change of clothes, some food, EDC, water bottles and a laptop even. The only negative is the minimal organizer capability. I fixed that by attaching a Max Triad Admin to mine.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 08:17:03 AM
Hi. If all you want is a daypack I highly recommend the Pygmy Falcon II. Plenty of room for a change of clothes, some food, EDC, water bottles and a laptop even. The only negative is the minimal organizer capability. I fixed that by attaching a Max Triad Admin to mine.

+ 1 on the Pygmy :)

And welcome to the forum mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 03:20:29 AM
Yup, that's the one I am going for! Thanks guys!  :cheers:
B

us Offline Pacu

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 03:36:36 AM
I want the maxpedition monsoon....it's a gearslinger bag.  Be good for walkabouts and city touring.
:like:    :MTO:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD