Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Recoil multi tool question

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Gerber Recoil multi tool question
on: November 16, 2019, 05:42:27 AM
Thanks to incredibility knowledgeable contributor to this site, Chako I've learned about several Gerber multi tools and information I've never known before recently.  Sincerely, I am impressed in what I've learned as I've been under the impression for several years that Gerber was mostly known for their MP600 multi tools. 

Anyway, despite the reasonable concerns and perhaps even questionable design of the Gerber Recoil,  I still am interested in this product.  Amazingly I found a seller for one of these units, however as luck would have it, this unit may or may not have some issues as shown in a image below.

This is missing what appears to be the "central bolt" or perhaps "pivot" may be a better descriptor, but I am curious if anyone here, perhaps even Chako may know if this unit is still safe to use with this piece missing.   Below is another image, as perhaps this may provide a better idea of what is missing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and once again, thank you Chako for the wonderful information. 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Gerber Recoil multi tool question
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 07:54:28 AM
I am uncertain if it is safe. What I do know...you are missing more than just a handle pivot as the whole pliers spring unit is also missing. From what I see on my copy...the handle pivots play no part in stopping the pliers other than to possibly keep them a certain distance apart for the internals to work. You must have the back pivot in place, otherwise, the whole tool would fall apart. I know the spring in these is fairly strong. Not sure how that would play with only 1 pivot point. I suppose you could always repair it by placing another similar sized nut and bolt to hold the two handles together more securely.

My suggestion is to pass this one up if you haven't already got it. These do come up from time to time, and patience might be the better option...that is unless you don't mind a bit of DIY repair.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 08:00:05 AM
I am uncertain if it is safe. What I do know...you are missing more than just a handle pivot as the whole pliers spring unit is also missing. From what I see on my copy...the handle pivots play no part in stopping the pliers other than to possibly keep them a certain distance apart for the internals to work. You must have the back pivot in place, otherwise, the whole tool would fall apart. I know the spring in these is fairly strong. Not sure how that would play with only 1 pivot point. I suppose you could always repair it by placing another similar sized nut and bolt to hold the two handles together more securely.

My suggestion is to pass this one up if you haven't already got it. These do come up from time to time, and patience might be the better option...that is unless you don't mind a bit of DIY repair.

Thank you very much for the response Chako.  This forum's software is a little different than others I've used in the past, so I do I am learning as I go.  That said, I figured this was missing more and for the price that is requested, this is WAY too much and due this being discontinued, I don't see there being a viable repair for this.   

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 08:12:35 AM
Here is what it should look like...

Missing the whole black plastic assembly that also contains the handle spring.

You can see the black unit with the sprint at the top of the pivot point.

A better view.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 08:17:56 AM
Thank you for posting that.  Makes me wonder how one loses such a important aspect of the multi tool.   Not surprised this tool didn't take off given the inherent issues of this activating when that would not be opportune. 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 08:19:31 AM
No clue...other than; if there is a will...there is a way, lol.

Might have used it as a hammer?  :rofl:

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 08:25:12 AM
That is the  risk when you buy used items.  At least in this case, the person was up front with the issues.  Using a multi tool as a hammer wouldn't surprise me, haha.

Seriously though Chako, I appreciate the insight.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 08:29:01 AM
You are welcome.  :hatsoff:

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 08:42:34 AM
This may be a question for the moderators, given your knowledge and how much this has benefited me, is there a place in the Gerber section for general opinions and questions about Gerber multi tools specifically?  I've only owned the Center Drive+, Fiskars branded MP600 and the modern version of MP400, so I am thinking of potentially expanding this as most of my knives are from Gerber as well. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%