Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Becker Knives

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Becker Knives
Reply #31 on: November 20, 2019, 10:34:25 PM
I can see why Horace made that his design. For an all around outdoors/bushcraft/camp knife, it does a lot and does it quite well. Personally, I am a BK9 man through and through.

My first Becker was the BK7. I thought it would be absolutely perfect...after all, I love my Kabar USMC knife. But when I bought the BK9, I understood the hype amongst Beckerheads. It is a large knife that can do some chopping, but still handles like a smaller knife. It just seems to do everything pretty well for me. I pair it with my Vic Huntsman and I have a combo that does it all. When camping and hunting, I just find that the BK9 is what I always reach for.
Nice - for a workhorse I prefer 8-10 inch fixies also.  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: November 21, 2019, 05:15:58 AM
I can see why Horace made that his design. For an all around outdoors/bushcraft/camp knife, it does a lot and does it quite well. Personally, I am a BK9 man through and through.

My first Becker was the BK7. I thought it would be absolutely perfect...after all, I love my Kabar USMC knife. But when I bought the BK9, I understood the hype amongst Beckerheads. It is a large knife that can do some chopping, but still handles like a smaller knife. It just seems to do everything pretty well for me. I pair it with my Vic Huntsman and I have a combo that does it all. When camping and hunting, I just find that the BK9 is what I always reach for.

Lovely outing pictures!

It is interesting the range of Becker has such wide offerings, from BK24 all the way up to BK9, there is one there bound to fit the use.  Personally, I prefer knife that is lighter and more attracted to BK62 or BK16, but I can totally see why people do like the BK7 or BK9, especially they like the idea of 'one tool' option.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #33 on: November 21, 2019, 06:32:47 AM
You can't go wrong with either the 62 or 16. For people buying their first Becker, I recommend either of those.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 21, 2019, 08:20:16 AM
My BK2 and BK9 are two of the purchases I regret the most...... :facepalm:

The BK2 survives on Youtube hype IMHO, there really is no need for a knife to be that bulky...... :oops:

The BK9 is a great large knife, I bought it while I was in that building-bug-out-bag phase, it is by it's very nature not a safe queen. Unfortunately not long after the purchase I started making knives, and made my own large knife that has served me well.

There is no second hand market here, had interest once but could not sell them LNIB for half of what I paid for them  :facepalm:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: November 21, 2019, 10:10:34 PM
My BK2 and BK9 are two of the purchases I regret the most...... :facepalm:

The BK2 survives on Youtube hype IMHO, there really is no need for a knife to be that bulky...... :oops:

The BK9 is a great large knife, I bought it while I was in that building-bug-out-bag phase, it is by it's very nature not a safe queen. Unfortunately not long after the purchase I started making knives, and made my own large knife that has served me well.

There is no second hand market here, had interest once but could not sell them LNIB for half of what I paid for them  :facepalm:

might also be the mentality or the culture. I see the appeal of large knives for instance but more as fun tools to switch things up rather than something to take with me on anything remotely serious. probably the same could be applied for the thicker knives
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline spudley112

Reply #36 on: November 22, 2019, 08:29:13 PM
Decided to do a tiny bit of work on the BK62 today. Took it apart and put linseed oil on the scales and darkened the blade a bit.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 22, 2019, 08:56:23 PM
Y’all are going to make me buy one of those 62s...

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: November 23, 2019, 02:43:24 AM
Decided to do a tiny bit of work on the BK62 today. Took it apart and put linseed oil on the scales and darkened the blade a bit.
(Image removed from quote.)
I like that feature of taking the scales off so easy!  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: November 23, 2019, 06:12:02 AM
Y’all are going to make me buy one of those 62s...

:pok: :popcorn:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: November 23, 2019, 06:12:35 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

Looks great!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Becker Knives
Reply #41 on: December 16, 2019, 04:03:40 PM
Went on a 3 day hunting/camping trip in the absolute middle of nowhere to get away from everything for a bit. BK7 performed extremely well in just about the worst conditions. On the first night it was near freezing, dark by the time we got out there, raining, wood (all pine) soaked, sleeping bags and tent wet, etc. still managed to get a fire going.

Ended up batoning about twice as much wood the second night because I wanted the fire to last all night (was freezing the first night). I had an idea to keep us warm, which ended up working perfectly. That emergency blanket worked wonders. It was probably about 70 degrees F in the tent and a little below freezing outside most of the night. Becker handled everything and was ready for more.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 04:11:30 PM by G-Dizzle »

us Offline spudley112

Reply #42 on: December 16, 2019, 05:17:25 PM
Thanks for sharing! That fire looks cozy. It is amazing what a good reflector will do for a campfire.

se Offline RF52

Reply #43 on: December 16, 2019, 07:28:50 PM
Great pics and good use of the emergency blanket :tu:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: December 16, 2019, 07:54:51 PM
Went on a 3 day hunting/camping trip in the absolute middle of nowhere to get away from everything for a bit. BK7 performed extremely well in just about the worst conditions. On the first night it was near freezing, dark by the time we got out there, raining, wood (all pine) soaked, sleeping bags and tent wet, etc. still managed to get a fire going.

Ended up batoning about twice as much wood the second night because I wanted the fire to last all night (was freezing the first night). I had an idea to keep us warm, which ended up working perfectly. That emergency blanket worked wonders. It was probably about 70 degrees F in the tent and a little below freezing outside most of the night. Becker handled everything and was ready for more.
Great photos and glad it went better than the first night!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: December 16, 2019, 10:04:49 PM
 :tu: Way to use the space blanket.  Nice you got out and enjoyed.   I love winter camping as well.  No people, no bugs, nothing but relaxing. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

Reply #46 on: December 17, 2019, 02:17:09 AM
How are the Camillus Becker compared to the later Kabar knives? I'm a little partial to Camillus, and I've heard the Camillus Becker are higher quality.

And anyone use the BK-3 Tac Tool? Been looking for a bit of an extreme use knife for woods/farm/shop use, and am wondering how it performs.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Becker Knives
Reply #47 on: December 20, 2019, 05:13:39 PM
How are the Camillus Becker compared to the later Kabar knives? I'm a little partial to Camillus, and I've heard the Camillus Becker are higher quality.

And anyone use the BK-3 Tac Tool? Been looking for a bit of an extreme use knife for woods/farm/shop use, and am wondering how it performs.
I don’t have much of an answer for you. I’ve never handled a Camillus Becker. I can say that it would be hard to imagine the same knife from a different source performing any better than the Kabar Beckers. They got everything right in my opinion. Not sure what could be higher quality without completely changing the knife.

Look for a BK-4 if you are wanting a knife to thrash on. The weight out front makes it a great chopper.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #48 on: February 09, 2020, 08:26:04 PM
Ethan Becker has introduced a new addition to the fine Becker line of knives. The BK18 Harpoon. The trailing point BK5 and BK15 were wonderful slivers, but alas, sales were not good enough to continue the line. The Harpoon offers the belly of a trailing point knife with a more aggressive aesthetic.

https://youtu.be/fnIqihozeAo

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: February 09, 2020, 10:58:12 PM
Cool knife !

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: February 10, 2020, 04:33:27 AM
 :iagree:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #51 on: February 10, 2020, 05:32:07 AM
Look, I know you are all a bunch a great folks, and you really want to buy me this knife. Normally I would refuse such an offer, but I am willing to put my pride aside THIS ONE TIME for the good of our community and your sense of well-being.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: February 10, 2020, 05:42:19 AM
I saw that video as well and the knife looks pretty great.
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: February 10, 2020, 08:16:00 AM
I think that's one of the knife items that catch my eyes on Shot 2020.  Love the blade shape, the new coating is cool, and the functional ambidextrous sheath should also work for the previous BK16, which I am a fan of.  I'm in, even before it's out. :facepalm: :D

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: February 10, 2020, 09:33:01 AM
Sorry to say I also saw an interview with Mr Becker and justification for the design seems a bit contrived.  :facepalm:

Not saying there's anything wrong with the knife, the marketing just tickles my BS-meter  :oops:

Cool sheath, don't make to much of it, Cold Steel's done them for a while.

And the tip........so no other BK before could be used to drill a hole in wood.....?  :think:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #55 on: February 10, 2020, 12:18:33 PM
What do you think is contrived or BS?

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 10, 2020, 01:05:20 PM
Nothing about the knife is BS, I'm sure it's good, and I like it overall....it's the "story" I don't buy.

contrived
/kənˈtrʌɪvd/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.

That about says it all.
I can almost buy "use your BK2 to cut yourself out of a plane wreck", well I guess I did buy it  :facepalm:

To be fair with my scorn, TOPS's stories are becoming a bit lame, and Condor have way too many stories.... :whistle:

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: February 10, 2020, 01:19:54 PM
Guess I should lay off the SHOT/Blade Show videos until 2023  :facepalm:
 :cheers:

us Offline David

Reply #58 on: February 10, 2020, 02:12:05 PM

I have both Camillus and Kabar Beckers. There are subtle differences. But I'm not sure what you mean by better quality. Better fit & finish, steel, heat treat.  :dunno:     I have a KaBar BK3 but havent used it much.. I suspect if you have a lot of chopping and prying to do it should serve you well. Here is a video of a BK3 in action you might find interesting.     :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSuZxLT8_iY
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:17:07 PM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline spudley112

Reply #59 on: February 13, 2020, 03:44:58 AM
Becker Addiction Lies I have Uttered:

1. It's not a problem of having too many knives, it is just an issue of funds.

2. This will be the last one I need...(new model comes out)...THIS will be the last one I need.

3. I need two..one user and one to keep in reserve.

4. I can quit any time I want.

5. Addiction affects you at your job, so I am not addicted. (Tracking info says the knife is on your doorstep) Hey boss, mind if I go home early again?

6. We Becker guys aren't as bad as those ________ collectors.

7. Ethan Becker shook my hand at Blade, it would be rude not to buy another one now.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%