Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review: Gerber EAB utility knife

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Review: Gerber EAB utility knife
on: December 28, 2008, 12:39:59 AM
The Gerber EAB (Exchange-A-Blade) Utility Folding Knife

Utility knives.  I love utility knives – particularly the folding knife variations – ever since receiving my first SuperKnife several years ago.  Just recently I purchased the Gerber EAB.  I was looking for a good backup EDC knife that was small enough to carry everyday yet still functioned like a full-size folding knife.

I was not disappointed.

Size comparison: Gerber EAB and Gerber Clutch

The first thing you’ll notice about the EAB is the small, sleek design.  Measuring only 2.4 inches closed, the EAB is a small but full-size utility knife.  It has all the same features and design other folding utility knives have but what Gerber did was cut down as much of the size as possible to make it a stylish, lightweight folding knife.

Product specifications:
·   Overall Length: 4.1"
·   Blade Length: 1.7"
·   Closed Length: 2.4"
·   Weight: 2.2 oz.
·   Blade Style: Contractor grade utility blade (replaceable)
·   Blade Material: High carbon K5
·   Blade Type: Fine
·   Handle Material: Stainless Steel
·   Colour: Silver (Satin Finish)
·   Opening Style: Nail nick for easy opening
·   Packaging: Sealed plastic clamshell

Stock photo

Once opened, the EAB has a simple, very minimalistic look.  In fact, the knife looks dangerously bare with its simple design but rest assured, it is safe to handle.  The grip is comfortable for small to medium-sized hands and the satin finish compliments the knife very nicely.  In the open position, the knife handle exhibits a curved grip that comfortably fits your middle and ring finger while your index finger wraps around the contoured blade guard.  Positioning your index finger below the blade guard is also a comfortable and secure grip.

When closed, the EAB has a very smooth and stylish look and resembles a sleek cigarette lighter or compact cigar cutter.  (In fact, I have a vintage razor blade cigar cutter/utility knife from the 1960’s that resembles the EAB.) As an alternative, the fixed, non-removable belt clip can even function as a money clip.

Another plus for the EAB is the weight.  Weighing in at only 2.2 ounces, this knife is perfect for super-lightweight EDC on your belt or pocket.  You can carry it all day long and not even notice or remember that it’s there.

Size comparison; from top to bottom: Gerber EAB, SuperKnife, SuperKnife 2 (SK2)

Easy to replace blades

For those who don’t know, “EAB” stands for “Exchange-A-Blade” and that’s the key feature of this knife.  Marketed as a utility folding knife, the EAB uses removable contractor utility blades that you can buy at any hardware store.  Like the original SuperKnife, the blade is held in place with a small screw so when your blade becomes dull, simply remove the screw and swap the old blade out with a new one.

Despite being an excellent knife, the EAB still has some negative points.  First, there’s no jimping anywhere on the knife handle so the smooth satin finish may provide a slippery, uneasy feel when you’re holding it.  Again, if you have large hands, this knife may feel a bit small for you but those with small to medium-sized hands should be able to hold it quite comfortably.

Also functions as a money clip

For quick, one-handed access, the EAB doesn’t open very well but crafty owners could swap out the blade screw with a taller one to serve as a make shift thumb stud for quick deployment.  It is possible to open the knife with one hand but the small “nail nick” feels awkward.  A larger thumb stud screw would easily correct this.  (NOTE: The knife doesn't include any additional blade screws so you would have to search for one that fits the knife perfectly or contact Gerber for replacement screws should you lose the original.)  On a positive note, the knife does swing open smoothly with very little force.  If you do use one hand to open it, it may be awkward at first but you’ll be accustomed to it soon.  HOWEVER, unless you change to a larger blade screw/thumb stud, I would not rely on - or recommend - this knife in an emergency situation as the smooth satin finish and lack of a proper thumb stud and jimping may give you "butter fingers" as you try to deploy it quickly. 

Also, because of the specific design of this knife and the non-removeable belt clip, this knife is strictly for right-handed users.  Southpaws are out of luck.   :(

If the pivot is too loose or tight to your liking, the tension can be adjusted with a spanner tool.  The downside however, is that the knife doesn’t include one and it may be hard finding one that is the correct size for the EAB. 

Once deployed, the blade is secured with a liner lock.  Though a liner lock on such a small knife would seem unreliable and weak, this liner lock is actually quite sturdy and holds up extremely well.  I haven’t subjected my EAB to extremely rigorous testing yet but it does feel strong enough to hold up against a lot of stress.

Photo comparison: Original faulty EAB vs new corrected version

The original EAB model was deemed rather faulty in design and left the blade exposed by the guard support near your fingers.  As a result, accidental or improper positioning of your hand while the knife is deployed (or if the blade becomes loose) could slice your fingers wide open.  Realizing this dangerous oversight, Gerber recalled close to 160,000 units of the original EAB in August 2007 and quickly released a corrected version that housed the blade in a new grooved finger guard.  This – coupled with the blade screw – provides a more secure setup for the blade.

If you still own the original EAB model, I believe Gerber will offer to replace it with the newer version.  You can contact them at www.gerbergear.com

The original MSRP on Gerber’s website is $16 USD but many places will usually sell this for around $10-$15 USD.  In Canada, Canadian Tire sells it regularly for $16.99 CDN ($13.99 USD) but I purchased mine on sale for $8.49 CDN ($6.99 USD).

Overall, the Gerber EAB is a great knife to have for EDC and the low price even sweetens the deal.  Gerber could've added and tweaked a few things to further improve the knife design but I have a feeling they wanted a smooth, modern and sleek executive look with this knife.  (ie: More classy, less tactical and rugged.)  While a larger utility knife would be fine for your toolbox or desk drawer, the small stature of this Gerber super-lightweight makes it purely EDC and whether you’re going camping, at work or just want to be like James Bond with a stylish money clip with a razor edge surprise, the Gerber EAB is a good knife.

Pros:
· Uses standard contractor-grade utility blades
· Small and light weight
· Can be used as a money clip
· Perfect for backup EDC and personal safety
· Low price

Cons:
· Small “thumb stud”
· Inefficient and slightly awkward one-handed opening
· Too small for big hands
· No jimping for a more secure grip
· No spanner tool to adjust pivot tension
· Only good for right-handed users.  Southpaws are out of luck.

This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Review: Gerber EAB utility knife
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:47:18 AM
Fantastic review!  :cheers:  I have several of them and I can't say enough good things about them. They are very handy.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:28:19 AM
Great review. Really well put together and easy to read. Nice one  :salute:
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 01:39:14 AM
For quick one handed opening, you can pinch the spine and gravity drop it open, works everytime.  :)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:36:51 AM
Great review and pictures mate :tu:

I'm already looking forward to your next one :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 04:32:32 PM
I need to get one of these...looks like a perfect backup blade I can clip onto my jacket/belt/boot and be totally out of the way.
[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 04:40:29 PM
Great review and pics Pyro :tu: I have the EAB and it is a fine utility blade knife (as long as you don't loose the little screw that holds the blade in :ahhh :D ) I carry mine to work everyday been very handy :cheers:

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 01:53:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys!  :tu:  I'm working on some new reviews right now.  :multi:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:07:57 AM
So that's where I left that $20... :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 02:17:17 AM
lol.  Sorry Def, I already spent it.  :tu:

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2023, 05:14:54 PM
sorry for digging this old thread up :facepalm: , it's just to confirm that the tool is outdated and got retired: 

i also caht believe that you 17024 guys haven't mentioned the rather popular (for its price point, that is) Exceed Designs edged tool on the forum yet, here a pic of my unit:

This youtuber got the same configuration, i've been carrying it nonstop 24/7 (except for bed time), like it so much, and definitely prefer it to any other utility knife or SAK or multitool currently on the market. 68g, slim profile, great pocket clip options, and a professional grade ruler:

Maybe i should write up a full review of the Razor V3?  :gimme:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 02:52:37 AM
Definitely review it :salute:

I still have an EAB :cheers: They are still great to me. The one I had in 2008 is actually still in use by a guy I work with :woohoo: he still carries it for almost a decade now and I am actually only on the second one myself :salute: I have the EAB Lite models and actually a black version of the regular EAB :tu: they are all great utility blade knives and I would still recommend them :like:

I hadn't heard it was discontinued :ahhh but the Lite model may still be for sale as I have seen these recently in the knife section of home improvement stores :salute:

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 08:38:25 AM
hehe not discontinued, just retired by that YouTuber , sorry for the misunderstanding.
the EAB looks rugged enough to be dropped and tossed around, that's cool. steel construction is more scratch resistant than titanium alloy .

i never had an EAB or EAB Lite. i just learn from YouTube and amazon that buyers of the Tirant Razor have stopped using their other Edc knives for good because it's such a likable and potent substitute

yeah okay will do a review stay tuned!

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 08:53:28 PM
i never had an EAB or EAB Lite.
hehe maybe a bit unfair but i shot this motion pic yesterday and thought it would be fitting/entertaining to post it here for the time being:

The video description reads:
"cutting test part 2.

raw footage of cutting the lower part of a DEMETER banana box with the @exceeddesigns Tirant Razor V3, which is now available for international shipping from the company's website.
for this task, i.e. cutting through 2-layer cardboard, quite some force is required. the blade cuts nicely through the 2 layers (or more!), and the strong grip feels safe and comfortable enough (your pocket clip might be poking a little). the hand isn't cramping, no gloves are needed, and there are no pressure marks remaining in the right hand.

more importantly, the razor blade does NOT get stuck or pulled out in/by the thick cardboard!, even when cutting curved lines.

beautiful cutting performance, superior to cutting with The Utilizer 2.0 (which is a 5.0y/o product). i am not claiming that this should replace your industrial grade 8h/day drywall knife but among all <EDC folding utility blade knives>, if not <EDC folding knives>, this product ranks first on the market, it's seriously the best and ultimate knife of its kind, namely for ACTUAL everydaycarry. Very light-weight (59-69g), slim, compact, comfortable, ergonomic, fast(!), one-handed, powerful, capable, timeless, beautiful, maintainable, everlasting, actual EDC-able, likable.

sorry for the long (boring? exciting?) video but it was the whole point to demo in real-time how struggling it can be to cut curved lines in double-layer thick cardboard. try to do redo this challenge with your own favorite <utility knife, or, EDC knife> and learn how well and how far you get: you'll be surprised that either your hand will be cramping, or your knife will get stuck, or your blade will get pulled out. many popular <titanium utility knives> basically failed this challenge, which is why i made this part 2 video in the first place."

Point being, the Gerber would have a hard time to pass this challenge. Hand/fingers cramping or hurting, and the blade portion simply being too short to cut through 4 layers (two double layers!) of cardboard.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2023, 02:14:12 PM
Definitely a great video showing that blades cutting power 8) :like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30