Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can stiff back-springs be weakened?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Can stiff back-springs be weakened?
on: December 02, 2019, 11:22:17 AM
Is there a way to make really strong back-springs a little softer, so that implements can be deployed more easily? :think:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Can stiff back-springs be weakened?
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 12:18:17 PM
Probably need to take it apart and bend the backsprings a bit with some light hammer taps...

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 05:46:53 AM
Is there a way to make really strong back-springs a little softer, so that implements can be deployed more easily? :think:

Yes , what knife are you talking about ?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 04:43:44 PM
Without knowing that particular one, it might seem like it is the same one both for retaining and keeping the tool in position when it is open? If so you might be better off by removing ever so little metal from the tools themselves?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 04:49:43 AM
Without knowing that particular one, it might seem like it is the same one both for retaining and keeping the tool in position when it is open? If so you might be better off by removing ever so little metal from the tools themselves?

:iagree:  I was just using the phillips on my PST the other day and the tool kept on retracting because of the weaker spring/design.  The strong backside is a dual edged sword, it might not be easy to retrieve the tool but it could be great to keep the tool in place during use.  I think Vidar's direction of ever so slightly modding the individual tool(where it contacts the spring) might make it easy to pull out from retention, but still keep the tool in place when it's fully opened.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 06:45:27 AM
I would remove a little material from the tool part, or even backspring itself.  There's a risk of having the backspring snap if you are too rough with it --- I broke LM Juice and Style backsprings messing about with them... :facepalm:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 09:36:17 AM
How about unfolding implements at 45° so the backsprings are at maximum bend, and leave the tool like that for a week? Will the flexing have a permanent effect? :think:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 04:38:50 PM
I'm fairly sure the correct answer is: It depends, but most likely yes.

Springs can take a certain force without being permanently deformed. The springs on tools are of course designed to not deform permanently during normal use, and will thus pass through the 45 degree position during normal use without any issues.

However, the force a material can withstand without deformation over a long time is less than the force a material will happily withstand over short time span. If exposed to a force over a long time the material can start to creep and slowly deform. This is the reason why designers strive to make sure springs are normally in a relaxed or low force position. Different spring materials have different charachteristics, but multitools are very unlikely to be made of anything particularly resisting or exotic.

A spring can be made strong enough to resist creep for a given force. That will require more material, weight and cost though - all enemies of multitools. And because most multitools will only be in 45 degree positions for a short transient time chances are that the spring are not designed to resist creep over time in that stronger force position. So my answer is that creep is likely over time - how much time is hard to tell.

Hopefully that was somewhat coherent?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%