Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Breaking in a new MT

mpgt · 10 · 912

us Offline mpgt

Breaking in a new MT
on: November 26, 2019, 04:18:18 PM
I have a new surge. Any pointers on loosening it up, other than just using it? Disassemble, clean and lube maybe??

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Re: Breaking in a new MT
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 04:35:46 PM
Yes. Do not oil it for awhile. This allows for metal to metal break in. Open each implement about 500 times. Use gloves or a rag when opening the blades. Oil it only after several months of carrying and using it.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:53:27 PM
I have a new surge. Any pointers on loosening it up, other than just using it? Disassemble, clean and lube maybe??

This helped a lot

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 10:30:24 PM
Agree with genevabuck.  :tu:

While it sounds counter-intuitive, don’t oil it until the surfaces have bedded in. When it’s a little smoother, you can use a light oil to draw out the metal grind (you’ll see a satisfying grey oil seep from the pivot), give a really good wash/soak in detergent to remove the oil, dry and repeat.  :salute:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:41:28 PM
I have done the warm water liquid soap before and then after I thought it was cleaned. It would be hard to open...repeated and when working the blades find hardened debris finally break free and come out. Those were used knives. The new ones I have are still running great with a drop of oil  every so often.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 05:12:22 PM
Also, I recently read on Reddit that the Leatherman engineers use Hoppe’s gun oil. I bought some with the needle applicator. Works awesome.

Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoppes-9-Precision-Gun-Oil-Lubricant-Needle-Applicator-Refill-Firearm-Lube/333192593577?epid=2255419642&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4d93d380a9:g:azMAAOSwJJdc1y1k

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 05:56:30 PM
Let us know what works.  Most of my MTs come to me previously owned so I've not had experience with break in.  My Wave of got new in 2012 was good to go out the box and now I can balisong it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline mpgt

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 08:06:13 PM
I think I will just use it until it loosens up, unless someone can assure me that disassembling it and cleaning to re-lube it is worth it. It's not bad at this point.

us Offline mpgt

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 08:08:03 PM
I have a Charge that I bought used. It's smooth as silk. I think buying used is better than getting a new one, as long as it's in great condition.

Offline stugumby

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 10:26:37 PM
I put mine straight to use out of the box, clean it once a month unless it gets soaked/starts to rust. open and close now and then while looking at it to partially break it in. Gets cruddy it goes into the solvent bin at work and gets blasted out with compressed air and oiled with wd40 or krey oil.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%