Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber screwdriver or prybar 97223

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Gerber screwdriver or prybar 97223
on: November 29, 2019, 04:55:51 AM
While ultimately the price was way too much than I was willing to pay, I found this Gerber slotted screwdriver or perhaps this was a prybar on eBay a while ago.  Guessing the model number reads 97223, but this is hard to read.   Perhaps this was actually made by Basset or another company, I am not sure.

Anyone know anything about this item? 

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gerber screwdriver or prybar 97223
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 03:35:40 PM
It's a Sportsman's Steel. It will easily hone the 440C they used back then, and is really hard steel that is coated with carbide.  They tend to be quite pricey, since they haven't been made, in oh, 30-40 years. If you can get it under $50 (which to me even is pricey), you'll have a deal in my opinion. I want one to use, but am not paying those prices.

Klein, until recently, sold something similar. While designed as a hone, the "screwdriver" type edge was supposedly for scraping, and other things you shouldn't do with your knife; as per the instructions. Now, I've seen those for $20-30, but those are rare too.

Link where these were discussed recently on another forum.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=61922
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:46:45 PM by cody6268 »

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Re: Gerber screwdriver or prybar 97223
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 03:00:33 PM
Based off some descriptions on my some listings, some labeled as a pry bar or screwdriver.   I've seen these go for a crazy amount of money for a sharpener.  Especially considering most are in used conditions and after 30-40 years, depending on the usage, I'd wager a significant portion of the carbide might have been depleted from the stone. 

As for the Klein version, if I remember correctly this was made in England and discontinued some time ago.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%