Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber ArmBar and Lockdown multi tools

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

on: December 01, 2019, 08:10:23 AM
Found this article that mentions by February 2020, Gerber is going to release a pocket sized multi tools named the ArmBar and Lock down. There is a product demonstration video in this article that shows the different variations.  Here is a link to the FreshAirJunkie article, https://www.freshairjunkie.com/index.php/2019/09/gerber-to-release-new-pocket-sized-multi-tools/.

This will be the first instance I've ever seen a multi tool have a dedicated "hammering" surface, let alone any multi tool company mentioning this either. 

With the video 0:26 is when the ArmBar is shown.   After 1:41 seconds, the Gerber Lock down is first shown.  2:54 is when the two other variations, as these weren't given specific names are shown.  Didn't expect the sliding utility knife to have G-10 scales and this is mentioned near the very end of the video 3:44. 

Attached is an image of some of the features of the ArmBar that includes a cork screw.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: Gerber ArmBar and Lockdown multi tools
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:41:40 PM
When I first caught a glimpse of the Armbar from the Blade show (I think), I was hoping it was like the MTO mods that pack one arm of a wingman or wave with a bunch of tools. In this case, I was thinking the chopped an arm off the Center Drive that made use of the ginormous blade and the sweet driver, and paired it with the prybay, reamer, file, etc in place of the plier. This seems like a far cry from that however. I like the idea of a prybar that has G10 scales, but I am less enthusiastic about the utility blade inside of it. Overall, I am skeptical of these new tools from Gerber. I was hoping for some more Center Drive variations.

Also, I take exception to his statement that people do not sharpen their multitool blades. I sharpen regularly.  :tu: :D
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 11:05:55 PM
I'll throw out a thumbs up to FAJunkie for their opening shot of Alex Honnold.   :tu:

Welcome to the boards CarbideCruzer.   :cheers:

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 03:55:11 PM
When I first caught a glimpse of the Armbar from the Blade show (I think), I was hoping it was like the MTO mods that pack one arm of a wingman or wave with a bunch of tools. In this case, I was thinking the chopped an arm off the Center Drive that made use of the ginormous blade and the sweet driver, and paired it with the prybay, reamer, file, etc in place of the plier. This seems like a far cry from that however. I like the idea of a prybar that has G10 scales, but I am less enthusiastic about the utility blade inside of it. Overall, I am skeptical of these new tools from Gerber. I was hoping for some more Center Drive variations.

Also, I take exception to his statement that people do not sharpen their multitool blades. I sharpen regularly.  :tu: :D

Until recently I had very little interest in multi tools and while I did own a Fiskbars version of the MP600 for several years now, this wasn't until owning a Gerber Center Drive Plus this years I had much of any multi tools.  That said, what Gerber has offered in this video doesn't really interest me, but I can see some similarities with the older Gerber Multi-lite that they made in 1998.   Would be great if this was made in USA as the original Gerber Multi-Lite was.

Interesting that they are using G10 scales, as I've only seen that in higher end knives generally.  As I sharpen my knives on my multi tools as well.  Just have to have patience. 

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 08:03:31 PM
Looking forward to the Armbar with bit driver  :like:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 05:05:22 PM
When i comes to Gerber all I want is them to admit they were wrong and actually produce replaceable cutters that work. The ones they have now prevent me from recommending any gerber that has the triangular cutters on them.

But the Armbar seems quite interesting, I just am so sad that I see no pocket clip...again...

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 03:45:10 AM
Good news, I found two sources for potential replaceable cutters for Gerber multi tools that utilize the carbide cutters.  First being from LittleMachineShop  and the second being from Brownells.

Expecting any corporation to "admit" anything they aren't legally mandated to is with all due respect is a waste of time.  While I genuinely am a favor of Gerber products; they are a for profit corporation first and foremost.  Compared to other manufacturer's, Fiskars are much more transparent in regards to country of origin and even have a section on their site that lists the USA made products.

Good chance I might try these inserts at some point.  Relatively inexpensive and certainly much less work than trying to create your own inserts.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 08:06:59 PM
The Armbar Cork looks interesting.  The video on GearJunkie shows some pretty neat tools.  Its always helpful when they explain the rationale for what they come up with - in this case, a tool that allows you to save your EDC knife blade from things it shouldnt be used for.

I'm in the Awl school of thought were I use an awl for all stabby and pokey things. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:31:39 PM by ElevenBlade »

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 09:14:11 PM
My question is what demographic are they attempting to garner with these items?  I'd hazard to guess with ArmBar Cork, this is geared to do it yourself/home owners, as I cannot imagine this being an item that any tradesman is likely to carry around on the job site.  Whereas with the other items, I'd speculate that these items appeal to the DIY crowd and those in various trades professions.

From a safety perspective, there is just cause for not utilizing your knife anything but cutting and even then, you may want to preserve the edge for other tasks.  Prying, chiseling, scrapping hammering aren't advisable and not just from a legal perspective either.  Similar to a slotted driver as well. 

Since this wasn't mentioned in either the video or the article, I do wonder where the products mentioned are manufactured?  This was mentioned with the Gerber Center Drive Plus and other Gerber products; several of which I do own.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 01:28:25 AM

Carbide , you seem quite obsessed with the country of origin .

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 01:40:58 AM
Carbide , you seem quite obsessed with the country of origin .

There have been periods in my life I've been unemployed and I've had good buddies and friends that lost their jobs due to plants closing down.   This is not an obsession, I have my preferences but I don't force them onto to others. Nor am I preventing others from speaking or condemning their decisions.   As I've said in the past, everyone is welcome to agree or disagree with me.  If this violates forum rules, I'll stop.  Otherwise, others are free to ignore, debate and disagree with me. 

I'll leave it at that. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 01:56:51 AM
My question is what demographic are they attempting to garner with these items?  I'd hazard to guess with ArmBar Cork, this is geared to do it yourself/home owners, as I cannot imagine this being an item that any tradesman is likely to carry around on the job site.  Whereas with the other items, I'd speculate that these items appeal to the DIY crowd and those in various trades professions.

From a safety perspective, there is just cause for not utilizing your knife anything but cutting and even then, you may want to preserve the edge for other tasks.  Prying, chiseling, scrapping hammering aren't advisable and not just from a legal perspective either.  Similar to a slotted driver as well. 

Since this wasn't mentioned in either the video or the article, I do wonder where the products mentioned are manufactured?  This was mentioned with the Gerber Center Drive Plus and other Gerber products; several of which I do own.

They indicate in the video that the demographic is people who already carry a knife, but use it for things it isn't meant for - people that don't have the right tool handy to begin with.  It's the can't-even-DIY folks... the ones who carry a pocketknife (and use it to cut food, not fix a machine) but since it's all they have they use the blade to tighten a screw on a cabinet door that's about to fall off, or pry open a stuck container top once in a blue moon.  It's also the ones that drink corked wine to go with the food they just prepared with the knife that didn't go near motor oil.  Maybe it's the campers, the glampers, the grill masters.

People like me.   

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 02:39:28 AM
I like the look of those new Gerber tools - It was a nice video on that link - Thanks for the post CC.
I'd love to check them out in more depth - But am a bit busy at the mo.

Yes good to see Alex Honold - Not quite sure why he was on the vid - I guess he was at the show?  ???

I reckon Gerber are attacking the Swiss Army Knife pocket tool market
- But maybe with 'tougher' or more tradesman-orientated models - ie with bit drivers, utility blades, pry bars etc

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:24:41 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 02:57:01 AM

I reckon Gerber are attacking the Swiss Army Knife pocket tool market
- But maybe with 'tougher' or more tradesman-orientated models - ie with bit drivers, utility blades, pry bars etc

That, or perhaps this is Gerber's response to Leatherman's K and T series.

I know I am looking forward to the Driver version for sure.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 06:28:40 AM
That would be my guess too. They had plenty of time to go after SAKs but never did. And now they come up with something shortly after the T and K series are released? Too much of a coincidence. I just hope they can get a decent quality on those tools  :popcorn:

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 05:31:54 PM
That would be my guess too. They had plenty of time to go after SAKs but never did. And now they come up with something shortly after the T and K series are released? Too much of a coincidence. I just hope they can get a decent quality on those tools  :popcorn:

The lockdown in particular (both variations) look incredibly promising. I love the addition of a craft blade exchanger.

The lockdown (driver Variant) + the prybrid looks like a great combo in general.

I like how each of these fill different gaps. Honestly the only question for me is quality. The Gerber NXT has really really surprised me, and its a recent addition. I’m truely hoping this will turn up the heat.

Cheers.

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 03:38:51 PM
not sure this is common knowledge, but the lockdown pry will have a scissor instead of an Awl. Hope it doesn't suck.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:45:11 AM by SteveC »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 03:48:47 PM
not sure this is common knowledge, but the lockdown pry will have a scissor instead of an Awl. Hope it doesn't suck.

But wait -- it has an eleven blade?  :o awl or no awl.... if they deleted the file I'd buy one immediately.  Maybe the file can be modded into an awl by someone with more skill than I have.  The file does have a chisel on the front edge though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:45:28 AM by SteveC »

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 08:23:14 PM
Wow how have i missed that lockdown completely, i need to get my hands on it. It looks great and chisel end of file is good idea for me.

Only Tools Matters

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 11:09:34 AM
ArmBar and Lockdown are kinda nice, but of these new tools in Gerbers lineup, I like the Prybrid best AND it is roughly half the price of the other two.
Ultimately, I'm probably going to get one of each, despite the really poor ratings the Armbar gets.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 03:32:31 PM
ArmBar and Lockdown are kinda nice, but of these new tools in Gerbers lineup, I like the Prybrid best AND it is roughly half the price of the other two.
Ultimately, I'm probably going to get one of each, despite the really poor ratings the Armbar gets.

Who wants to guess why I like the Prybrid X?  :whistle:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 04:36:52 PM
Who wants to guess why I like the Prybrid X?  :whistle:
Hands too tiny for the Prybrid Utility?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 05:14:06 PM
Hands too tiny for the Prybrid Utility?

:megaslap:

:D

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 04:05:06 AM
Are the Lockdown tools actually gonna lock? Like all of them? You know, not like the (imho) messed up Armbar  :P

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 01:45:48 AM

The lockdown is now showing on the gerber website, usually the tool availability is not far behind..I just want to say..Gerber's marketing team is trash, we never hear about them beforehand. How are we supposed to get hyped about something without teasers?

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/multi-tools/all-multi-tools

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 04, 2021, 10:15:55 PM
Just got done doing my video unboxing of both Lockdown variants..and....DAMN WTF happened in QC?????

the tools were nearly impossible to deploy.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: October 05, 2021, 10:01:06 AM
Watching your video now. :rofl:

And also :rant:
What happened, Gerber? :think:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #28 on: October 05, 2021, 10:22:24 AM
Much worse than I could have guessed. Literally, what the actual smurf? :rant:
You thought MrPinchy draws blood? These should come with bandages and tourniquets.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: October 05, 2021, 11:09:05 AM
Sad to hear that it is so poorly executed and QCed. Not surprised though... chipped the pry-bar on my Center-Drive on a brass nail on day 1 (poor heat treatment I guess).
Another great design wasted on poor execution.

Let us know if you can fix the problems (loosen the screws, clean, oiling etc.). Though I did not manage to loosen the screws on the Prybrid Utility (even with heat) without mangling them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%