Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashlight Mini Reviews

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Flashlight Mini Reviews
Reply #30 on: December 06, 2019, 11:38:37 AM
I can only dream of lights like that :dd: :o :like: :like:

:nanadance:         :nanadance:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: December 06, 2019, 06:11:33 PM
Great review of the Thrunite T1.  I really dont "need" another light BUT I'm off to look at this light a little further.  While I like my Olight S1R Turbo had I seen this I think I'd have it instead.  No regret as I both would serve purpose in my small light stable. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: December 06, 2019, 06:15:05 PM
Excellent review Stefano!!!!

Such a nice option when camping/hiking.  Dark comes fast this time of year and a hike planned for a few hours can sometime end with us still on the trail. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #33 on: December 06, 2019, 07:06:08 PM
Great review of the Thrunite T1.  I really dont "need" another light BUT I'm off to look at this light a little further.  While I like my Olight S1R Turbo had I seen this I think I'd have it instead.  No regret as I both would serve purpose in my small light stable.

I have an S1 Mini and hardly use it because the Thrunite T1 is far superior in my opinion. The only advantage the S1 Mini has really, is that it is a little bit smaller.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 08:45:57 PM
You are not helping  :D.  I really do like my S1R so it wouldn't be a replacement per se.  I like to carry my S1R when I feel like a lot of light could be needed.  My ZL SC52 L2 is my go to for most every other time.  So I can see the T1 fitting in nicely within those two. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 08:52:03 PM
You are not helping  :D.  I really do like my S1R so it wouldn't be a replacement per se.  I like to carry my S1R when I feel like a lot of light could be needed.  My ZL SC52 L2 is my go to for most every other time.  So I can see the T1 fitting in nicely within those two.

Long ago I gave in to my addiction. lol.

I was telling a buddy last night that I prefer not to get gifts for birthdays or Christmas. I always ask my folks to just give me a Christmas card if anything at all. Heck, my mother gave up on getting me anything for my birthday years ago because she knows how I am. Usually, if I want something, and I can afford it, I just get it. I am proudly single and after years of relationship pain (bad marriage, failed engagement, needy girlfriends etc) I made the decision to avoid all that. Now I can pretty much get what I want when I want it. Ahhh...I love this life. haha

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 09:41:55 PM

These are wild numbers!

I am wondering is there a driver smart enough to know the difference between li-ion rechargeable vs primary batteries, so it will know when to stop or when to completely vampire drain the batteries, while maximizing efficiency and runtime? :whistle:

The resultant numbers are one of the reasons I like his mods.  I know that those kinds of changes are pushing the light harder which will result in less runtime but as long as it is something your aware of then your good.

As far as detecting the difference between li-ion and primary, I do not know of Vinh’s drivers doing that, but HDS does as long as you do a quick reset after changing.  I also know the Fenix lights tend to have a “Low-voltage warning” when using rechargeable li-ion.

us Offline Sos24

Flashlight Mini Reviews
Reply #37 on: December 07, 2019, 12:51:49 AM
EagleTac D25c MkII (and some info on the D25a)

I think EagleTac flashlights are often overlooked but the few I have perform well.  This is actually my wife’s favorite flashlight and the one she always uses.

For a CR123 flashlight with a tail switch it is smaller than a lot of its competitors at 2.9 x .78 inches. 

The flashlight can use 16340 but the website warns to only use protected ones at a specific dimensions.  So avoid oversized ones like some manufacturers make (Fenix ARB-L16-700U (one with micro usb port built in) specifically comes to mind).  I have had no problem using Olight 16340s and Fenix without the micro usb.

This light comes in both cool white and neutral emitters depending on your preference, including a HiCRI Nichia 219.

The exact lumens vary slightly based on the emitter you choose.  The maximum ANSI lumens comes from the cool white CREE XP-L HD V6 which is 365.  The Nichia 219 has the lowest maximum lumens at 220.  The runtime on high is 54 minutes.
The flashlight has 3 different mode groups.  When the head is tightened, the H/Strobe group is selected.   If you loosen the head slightly then the L/M/H becomes selected.  Switching Moonlight on/off is simple and explained in the Tech Specs.

Group (Head Loosened) Moonlight (ML)  Off = L > M > H > L > M > H > Various Strobes
Group (Head Loosened)  w/ Moonlight (ML) = ML > L > M > H > ML > L > M > H > Various Strobes
Group (Head Tightened) = Turbo > Strobe

The tail switch is a reverse clicky (meaning the light comes on when switched fully pressed then released) and switches brightness levels by half clicks.  The light remembers the last mode.  From Group 1 the strobes are only accessed if you go through the brightness levels twice in succession.
The light can tail stand and has a one way clip. The light is also waterproof to the IPX8 standard like many other lights

Here is the actual manufacturer Technical Specification link which is very detailed: http://eagtac.com/html/d25crcmkii/specs.html

If this light sounds good, but you prefer AA, then check out the D25a.  It is a very similar light to the D25c including UI and some of the same emitter choices.  The D25a is .7 x 3.4 inches. The maximum lumens with the D25a is 286 from the XM-L2 U4 and 195 from the HiCRI Nichia 219c.

Here is the Technical Specifications of the D25a:  http://eagtac.com/html/d25arcmkii/specs.html

EagleTac also makes a D3c and a D3a, which are very simi.ar lights but in titanium for those who want a titanium light.

Both lights are a solid choice if you are looking for a small tail clicky that still has some punch.

Here is a picture of both the EagleTac D25c and D25a with a SAK Climber for comparison
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 02:28:27 AM by Sos24 »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: December 07, 2019, 10:55:53 PM
EagleTac D25c MkII (and some info on the D25a)

I think EagleTac flashlights are often overlooked but the few I have perform well.  This is actually my wife’s favorite flashlight and the one she always uses.

For a CR123 flashlight with a tail switch it is smaller than a lot of its competitors at 2.9 x .78 inches. 

The flashlight can use 16340 but the website warns to only use protected ones at a specific dimensions.  So avoid oversized ones like some manufacturers make (Fenix ARB-L16-700U (one with micro usb port built in) specifically comes to mind).  I have had no problem using Olight 16340s and Fenix without the micro usb.

This light comes in both cool white and neutral emitters depending on your preference, including a HiCRI Nichia 219.

The exact lumens vary slightly based on the emitter you choose.  The maximum ANSI lumens comes from the cool white CREE XP-L HD V6 which is 365.  The Nichia 219 has the lowest maximum lumens at 220.  The runtime on high is 54 minutes.
The flashlight has 3 different mode groups.  When the head is tightened, the H/Strobe group is selected.   If you loosen the head slightly then the L/M/H becomes selected.  Switching Moonlight on/off is simple and explained in the Tech Specs.

Group (Head Loosened) Moonlight (ML)  Off = L > M > H > L > M > H > Various Strobes
Group (Head Loosened)  w/ Moonlight (ML) = ML > L > M > H > ML > L > M > H > Various Strobes
Group (Head Tightened) = Turbo > Strobe

The tail switch is a reverse clicky (meaning the light comes on when switched fully pressed then released) and switches brightness levels by half clicks.  The light remembers the last mode.  From Group 1 the strobes are only accessed if you go through the brightness levels twice in succession.
The light can tail stand and has a one way clip. The light is also waterproof to the IPX8 standard like many other lights

Here is the actual manufacturer Technical Specification link which is very detailed: http://eagtac.com/html/d25crcmkii/specs.html

If this light sounds good, but you prefer AA, then check out the D25a.  It is a very similar light to the D25c including UI and some of the same emitter choices.  The D25a is .7 x 3.4 inches. The maximum lumens with the D25a is 286 from the XM-L2 U4 and 195 from the HiCRI Nichia 219c.

Here is the Technical Specifications of the D25a:  http://eagtac.com/html/d25arcmkii/specs.html

EagleTac also makes a D3c and a D3a, which are very simi.ar lights but in titanium for those who want a titanium light.

Both lights are a solid choice if you are looking for a small tail clicky that still has some punch.

Here is a picture of both the EagleTac D25c and D25a with a SAK Climber for comparison
(Image removed from quote.)

Cheers Sos24.  :cheers:

I have the old D25A Clicky and, as a few folks know, it's my most carried light.  Does the MkII have mode memory on the AA?  Sadly mine doesn't but they might have updated that.  It's the only minor niggle I have with the MkI.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #39 on: December 07, 2019, 11:24:37 PM
Cheers Sos24.  :cheers:

I have the old D25A Clicky and, as a few folks know, it's my most carried light.  Does the MkII have mode memory on the AA?  Sadly mine doesn't but they might have updated that.  It's the only minor niggle I have with the MkI.

Yes, the MkII has mode memory that can be toggled on/off depending on personal preference.

“Toggle mode memory - remebers the last output in group 1. To toggle this setting, with head tighten, turn on the light, wait for at least one second, and repeat loose and tight for three times.”

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: December 07, 2019, 11:35:44 PM
Yes, the MkII has mode memory that can be toggled on/off depending on personal preference.

“Toggle mode memory - remebers the last output in group 1. To toggle this setting, with head tighten, turn on the light, wait for at least one second, and repeat loose and tight for three times.”

Excellent.  Thanks again.  :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #41 on: December 09, 2019, 09:29:57 AM
Fenix E05 vs Lumitop EDC01

Both the Fenix E05 vs Lumitop EDC01 are single AAA flashlights that utilize a head twisty UI.   The two lights are almost identical in size, but the Fenix have more of a knurling where as the Lumitop has a wavy body with knurling on the head

The Lumitop has a CREE XP-G3 whereas the E05 has an XP-E2. 

Both lights have three brightness levels with turn on at low then each successive off/on goes to medium then high. The Lumitop EDC01 has a max brightness of 120lumens as compared to the E05’s 85 which is visually apparent.  The higher max lumen of the Lumitop results in only a 30 minute runtime on high compared to the Fenix 45 minutes using Alkaline batteries.  The Lumitop’s low of 5 lumen is lower than the E05’s 8 lumen which results in over twice the runtime if using low.

As far as water and dust resistance, the Lumitop is rated as IP68 to 1.5m while the Fenix is rated to IPX8 of 2m.  So the Lumitop has been certified against dust intrusion whereas the Fenix has not been tested, but the Fenix is certified against water penetration to a greater depth.

Here are a couple pictures with the Fenix E05 on left and Lumitop EDC01 on right.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #42 on: December 09, 2019, 01:20:59 PM
Thanks for reviewing and comparing.
My experience with AAA lights is with the old Fenix E01 and E05 (27 lumens) I wonder about the new model with 85 lumens how much heat it emits.
Do both lights at maximum power maintain an acceptable temperature?

us Offline spudley112

Reply #43 on: December 09, 2019, 03:50:50 PM
Great idea. I need to do some comparison reviews too. I have a few lights that are really close. My Sofirn SP31 and Fenix PD35TAC are very similar.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #44 on: December 09, 2019, 08:59:57 PM
Great idea. I need to do some comparison reviews too. I have a few lights that are really close. My Sofirn SP31 and Fenix PD35TAC are very similar.

I remember that you have PD35 2.0

I have the PD35 TAC version and I'm thinking of a new toy, I'm undecided between PD35 2.0 - TK15 UE or Thrunite TC12 NW.

One thing that holds me back for PD35 2.0 is that the high level is "only" 350 lumens (TAC version and your Sofirn have 500 lumens)
If you compare the Sofirn vs the Fenix PD35 2.0 using not the Turbo but the High level do you see a lot of difference?
The Turbo is rarely used but the high level is important to me, I would have liked a High level of 500 lumens.
The Thrunite TC12 has 475 lumens on High level.
Your every visual impression is very welcome.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #45 on: December 09, 2019, 11:56:32 PM
I need to make a correction regarding the Lumitop EDC01:

The EDC01 brightness levels are Medium/Low/High.

Thanks for reviewing and comparing.
My experience with AAA lights is with the old Fenix E01 and E05 (27 lumens) I wonder about the new model with 85 lumens how much heat it emits.
Do both lights at maximum power maintain an acceptable temperature?

The Fenix tolerates the heat better than the Lumitop.  The EDC01 will get hot if left on high for a while.  The Fenix E05 does get warm after being left on, but not hot.  The Lumitop EDC01 gets hot after about 10 minutes of being left on high.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #46 on: December 10, 2019, 05:37:30 AM
Fenix PD35 TAC and Sofirn SP31 V2.0

I wanted to do a quick comparo of these two lights, but I don't want to bore everyone with minute details that can be easily researched. I just thought some comparison notes and pictures would be sufficient.

These two lights are very comparable. They are both what I would call "tactical" form factor lights. I am not sure why, but the word "tactical" has become one of those words that gets strong responses from some people. The responses range from sarcasm to outright eye-rolling. To me, it is just a word and I really do not have a problem with it.

In comparing the two lights, lumens and run times are fairly close:

Sofirn SP31 V2.0

Lumens        5              50                      160                   500                 1200
Run Time     291H        26H 49M            9H 45M           3H 41M           2H 37M

Fenix PD35 TAC

Lumens        8              60                      200                   500                  1000
Run Time      140H       29H 15M            8H 30M            2H 55M            1H 10M

It the pictures below it is easy to see that these two lights are very similar. Their general construction and function are very close.

The PD35 TAC has a crenulated bezel

Both flashlights are dual switch lights. A tail switch to turn on the light, and a side switch to set brightness level. The side switch on the Sofirn has an indicator light that shows for a few seconds when the light is turned on, that indicates battery level.

Beam Comparison: PD35 TAC on the right and SP31 V2.0 on the left

From about 5 feet away, the PD35 TAC beam has a bit wider hot spot and a warmer tint.

Outside from the balcony at my apartment, the light outputs at 1000 lumens look almost identical.

PD35 TAC

SP31 V2.0

us Offline Sos24

Flashlight Mini Reviews
Reply #47 on: February 05, 2020, 08:40:00 AM
Acebeam TK16

This is my newest light and a definite keeper.

At 2.61” x .9”, it is one of the smallest CR123/16340 flashlights with a tail clickie available. 
General Information:
- The light feels durable with a definite raised grippy pattern on the short barrel. 
-The tail clickie is recessed to minimize the chances of accidental turn on and allow tail standing. 
- Water resistance is rated at 2m submersion and impact resistance rated at 1m.
- It also has a lock-out function to also avoid accidentally turning on. 
- It has a low voltage warning. 
- The pocket clip is deep bezel up carry. 

Emitter and beam

It comes standard with 3x LEDs in your choice between three different emitters, depending on what is most important to you:
- Osram - Throw (338m)
- Cree XPG3 - Brightness (1800 lumens)
- Luminus SST-20 - 95+ CRI
[I have the SST-20]

The combination of three LEDs and TIR optics results in a very nice beam.  Instead of a small hotspot with spill, it is more a uniform wider beam. 

Operation

5 Modes: Moon, Low, Medium, High, Turbo.  The lumens and runtimes of each depends on the emitter, power vs eco, and 16340 vs CR123.  I’ve included charts of each instead of stating them

- Single-click goes to last used (memory)
- Holding down the button switches between L-M-H
- Double click from off or on: turbo
- Triple-click from off or on: strobe
- Press and hold 3 seconds: light enters moonlight-mode
- The switch requires a full click and does not have momentary capability

The light can get rather hot especially on turbo, but does automatically step down to avoid getting to hot.  Using ECO mode will decrease the max lumens thereby increasing runtimes.

Conclusion:

Overall, I am really liking this little light.  Time will tell, but I think I may prefer this to the Olight S1 Mini, Fenix E16, FourSeven Mini and EagleTac D25c.  If it continues to perform, I think I will be getting the Osram version as well.

What I like:
- tail clickies
- ability to immediately access turbo from off or on
- strobe is not part of brightness levels, it is only accessible through triple click
- Small size
- Tail stands
- Accepts rechargeable 16340
- Moonlight mode
- Eco mode if runtime is important

What I dislike
- No momentary
- Would prefer the clip to be two-way or bezel down.
- Another brightness level between Medium and High would be nice

Pictured for size comparison Left -> Right: S1 Mini, 47 Mini, Acebeam TK16, EagleTac D25c
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:38:34 AM by Sos24 »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: February 06, 2020, 01:25:35 PM
Sherry, if you do get the Osram version, I'd love to see the beamshot comparison or your description of it.  For the longest time I am reluctant to get a triple-led setup because of the potential limited throw and possible strange hotspot/sidespill.  If the osram color retention is not too bad, this could be a good compromise. :popcorn:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #49 on: February 07, 2020, 01:14:32 AM
Sherry....great review. I love those size lights. My Thrunite T1 still stands as one of my favorite lights. I wonder if the two way pocket clip from another light would fit the barrel on that light? Might be worth trying.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #50 on: February 07, 2020, 01:18:16 AM
I will have a review coming soon on the Armytek Tiara C1. Just to give an update - I bought this light awhile back and I saw that on moonlight mode it claims 60 days of runtime. I decided to test it out and it has been running 24/7 now for three weeks. I thought I would do a review at one month and fill everyone in on its progress.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #51 on: February 07, 2020, 01:35:48 AM
Sherry, if you do get the Osram version, I'd love to see the beamshot comparison or your description of it.  For the longest time I am reluctant to get a triple-led setup because of the potential limited throw and possible strange hotspot/sidespill.  If the osram color retention is not too bad, this could be a good compromise. :popcorn:

I will most likely end up getting it.  I have the Osram W2 in both a Emissar D4 and Lumitop/BLF FW3a.  They do pretty good on throw.  I know the performance from the TK16 won’t be the same as either, but a small 16340 thrower would be a nice compliment to me HDS.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%