Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spudley- not just another guy!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Spudley- not just another guy!
on: December 06, 2019, 05:24:11 PM
Some of you have noticed a new prolific poster here, but what you may not know is that he isn't a "new guy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Spudley goes WAY back on forums, and with us here as well, even though many of you would never have known.  Years ago, in the dark days before there was a Multitool.org, Spudley was a member of a group on Knifeforums called the Secret Order of Swiss Army Knives, or SOSAK to those of us there.  That is where SAK modding began, whether it was Oupa Dirk's Melted ALOX or Rotokid's awesome wooden scale kits, eventually leading up to Spork showing us that the insides of a SAK weren't magical Dwarven creations mixed with fairy dust- they were simple, mechanical doodads and the pieces could be swapped back and forth or modded.

It was in this amazing time, the days that I like to think of as the Golden Age of Modding that Spudley joined SOSAK and quickly got the bug to do some mods himself.  In his early days he cut apart old furniture and repurposed the wood into SAK scales, and you can see an awesome example of that in his avatar, which I believe was walnut and ivory, although he may come along and correct some of these details, as I have probably gotten some wires crossed over the years!

One of the neat things that he was famous for, his mark on SAK modding as it were, was to harvest the inlaid logo from cellidor scales, then press it into the wood, leaving a relief or imprint of the shield when it was removed.  I consider myself lucky to have a Spudley Special from that time, and it is about damned time I posted pics of it!

Thanks Dale- this is a beautiful knife and I am proud to own it- and even more glad that you found your way back to Multitool.org, home of the Swiss Army Knights, the evolution of SOSAK!

Def
15756486297910.jpg
* 15756486297910.jpg (Filesize: 173.06 KB)
15756486299051.jpg
* 15756486299051.jpg (Filesize: 122.05 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BadMechanic

Re: Spudley- not just another guy!
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 05:25:33 PM
Shes purdyyy  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 05:27:25 PM
Always wonderful to have members from "back when" find their way to MTO.  Lots of knowledge to soak in and happy to have him actively posting here.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 05:52:19 PM
Very cool and thoughtful  :tu: :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 06:55:18 PM
I knew he felt at ease too fast here! :D

So when are you going to do new mods, Spud? :pok:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 07:19:20 PM
That's a very nice SAK Grant  :tu: :like: :hatsoff:
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 07:49:06 PM
Nice looking SAK and it’s great
to have you here with us spudley  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 03:11:02 AM
Nice write-up and knife, Grant.

Good to have you, spudley.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 10:23:46 AM
Great stuff Spudley... what took you so long?  :like:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 04:41:44 PM
Back this last summer, I ran into Spudley on some thread or other and it came out that I liked LL Bean SAKs and that he had an old Wenger Canyon with the Bean logo.  He contacted me and said simply that he wanted it to be in my collection.  He asked nothing in return for this completely friendly and gracious Random Act of Kindness. 

I reciprocated by sending him a rather well-loved Huntsman, which I understood is a model he favors.  It's so fun trading with like-minded collectors and enthusiasts.  Well done Spudley and well done MTo!

Myron

us Offline Frailer

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 02:06:19 AM

Back this last summer, I ran into Spudley on some thread or other and it came out that I liked LL Bean SAKs and that he had an old Wenger Canyon with the Bean logo.  He contacted me and said simply that he wanted it to be in my collection.  He asked nothing in return for this completely friendly and gracious Random Act of Kindness. 

I reciprocated by sending him a rather well-loved Huntsman, which I understood is a model he favors.  It's so fun trading with like-minded collectors and enthusiasts.  Well done Spudley and well done MTo!

Myron

:like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44