Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Walking Canes/Poles.

Flash

Re: Walking Canes/Poles.
Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 10:47:48 AM
BTW Mike what did you decide on :think: :D

(everything I know of English history I learned from Braveheart) but you could try.

Yeah pretty much the same here :D

Great movie on any account ;)

I have watched a few things on TV since then that have led me to believe that the greater part of it may be fiction though :o :D
Just got a cheapie adjustable steel one for now, as I'm waiting for some Hazel to season a bit first :)

I tell you what is a bugger though, none of the Cold Steel etc ones are long enough for me, and all seem to be made for people a good few inches shorter than I am >:(

I forgot.....how tall are you?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 11:12:40 AM
I got one of my walking sticks from a place in Scotland. (Proper Scotland, far west)

I don't know if there's still some bitterness there (everything I know of English history I learned from Braveheart) but you could try.

Being Scottish and a fan of my history I can reliably tell you about the only thing Mr Gibson got right was the mans name. ::)  I genuinely believe that film set Scottish attitudes to England back by 100 years.  I am very proud to call myself Scottish and am truly sorry to say that far to many here think that our defining characteristic is our hate of the English.  A bit sad in the 21st Century don't you think? 

That's better, rant over. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 12:29:56 PM
I got one of my walking sticks from a place in Scotland. (Proper Scotland, far west)

I don't know if there's still some bitterness there (everything I know of English history I learned from Braveheart) but you could try.

Being Scottish and a fan of my history I can reliably tell you about the only thing Mr Gibson got right was the mans name. ::)  I genuinely believe that film set Scottish attitudes to England back by 100 years.  I am very proud to call myself Scottish and am truly sorry to say that far to many here think that our defining characteristic is our hate of the English.  A bit sad in the 21st Century don't you think? 

Oh come on. You hate us still. Admit it :D

Whilst you are right, you can't deny that the film did do a some good for Scottish patriotism. Remember the football with all the Scotland fans with blue and white painted faces? I'm sure most of those guys didn't take it too seriously (I hope  :o)

But that film was right up there with that film about the Odessa code in terms of historical accuracy :D
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 02:03:06 PM

(everything I know of English history I learned from Braveheart) but you could try.

I have watched a few things on TV since then that have led me to believe that the greater part of it may be fiction though :o :D
Just got a cheapie adjustable steel one for now, as I'm waiting for some Hazel to season a bit first :)

I tell you what is a bugger though, none of the Cold Steel etc ones are long enough for me, and all seem to be made for people a good few inches shorter than I am >:(

6 foot 2 :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 02:05:31 PM
I didn't know they stacked $**t that high.  :P
I'm back!!

Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 02:06:47 PM
I didn't know they stacked $**t that high.  :P
:D :D

Well you'd never be able to stack it that high, stumpy :twak:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 02:07:59 PM
I could always use a step!  :twak:

:D
I'm back!!

Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 02:10:10 PM
I could always use a step!  :twak:

:D
Shouldn't that be step's :D

Flash

Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 02:10:47 PM

Benner....well done for catching my set up line  ;)

Mickd....almost a respectable height there old bean

Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 02:12:21 PM

Benner....well done for catching my set up line  ;)

Mickd....almost a respectable height there old bean
Yeah it's dead handy being 6 foot 2 when the worlds made for midgets ::) :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 04:41:11 PM

Whilst you are right, you can't deny that the film did do a some good for Scottish patriotism. Remember the football with all the Scotland fans with blue and white painted faces? I'm sure most of those guys didn't take it too seriously (I hope  :o)

But that film was right up there with that film about the Odessa code in terms of historical accuracy :D

Unfortunately for all to many people "Scottish Patriotism=Hating The English", and nothing more.  Not true of all by any means but still far to common.  >:(

On a lighter note am I going to be the short arse at the meet-up? I'm only 5' 11".

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 06:03:52 PM
Nope - you will be considerably taller than me!

I used to come here a lot.

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 01, 2009, 06:17:57 PM
Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but it could prove a viable alternative, even in England.

http://www.real-self-defense.com/umbrella1.html

Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, 06:21:40 PM
Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but it could prove a viable alternative, even in England.

http://www.real-self-defense.com/umbrella1.html
I'm not sure of the legality of them over here ???

Gareth rest easy, your comfortably taller than half the midgets going :D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #44 on: March 01, 2009, 10:48:10 PM
I would suggest a simple wooden cane. A thin one would be lighter and faster to swing if you had to use it, while a heavier one would be slower, it would have less chance of breaking. It would also be better if you're a big guy. And I agree Gareth UK, you probably don't want a cane designed for self defense. It could make you look like you're looking for trouble. Plus, it's a bit of a waste of money. Any cane that is good and solid should work just fine.

As far as a heavy one being too much I carry a thick heavy hickory one and I have no trouble at all and I have chronic shoulder problems. But maybe if you're not used to it I can see where it might be a problem. I've been carrying a cane all the time for a year and a half now.

Here's some I found for you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Walking-cane-37-1-2-inches_W0QQitemZ260365645586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Antiques_Woodenware_RL?hash=item260365645586&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1684%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Crook-Handled-Maple-Wood-Wooden-Cane-Walking-Stick_W0QQitemZ120384654958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET?hash=item120384654958&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1684%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPPORT-WALKING-STICK-CRUTCH-HANDLE-FRAME-CANE-WALKER_W0QQitemZ150088063832QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET?hash=item150088063832&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1684%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wooden-Walking-Cane-Stick-Marbled-Black-Mobility-30089_W0QQitemZ160183115928QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET?hash=item160183115928&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1684%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 11:48:10 PM

Unfortunately for all to many people "Scottish Patriotism=Hating The English", and nothing more.  Not true of all by any means but still far to common.  >:(

On a lighter note am I going to be the short arse at the meet-up? I'm only 5' 11".

Nope, you're taller than me.
I'm back!!

Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 07:04:00 AM
I would suggest a simple wooden cane. A thin one would be lighter and faster to swing if you had to use it, while a heavier one would be slower, it would have less chance of breaking. It would also be better if you're a big guy. And I agree Gareth UK, you probably don't want a cane designed for self defense. It could make you look like you're looking for trouble. Plus, it's a bit of a waste of money. Any cane that is good and solid should work just fine.

As far as a heavy one being too much I carry a thick heavy hickory one and I have no trouble at all and I have chronic shoulder problems. But maybe if you're not used to it I can see where it might be a problem. I've been carrying a cane all the time for a year and a half now.

Here's some I found for you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Walking-cane-37-1-2-inches_W0QQitemZ260365645586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Antiques_Woodenware_RL?hash=item260365645586&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1684%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Crook-Handled-Maple-Wood-Wooden-Cane-Walking-Stick_W0QQitemZ120384654958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET?hash=item120384654958&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1684%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPPORT-WALKING-STICK-CRUTCH-HANDLE-FRAME-CANE-WALKER_W0QQitemZ150088063832QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET?hash=item150088063832&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1684%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wooden-Walking-Cane-Stick-Marbled-Black-Mobility-30089_W0QQitemZ160183115928QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET?hash=item160183115928&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1684%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Thanks fella :tu:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 05:01:40 PM
No problem. Like multi-tools, canes are something which a person can become attached too. If you carry one everyday it becomes part of you and looking at them and reading about them is fun.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 07:15:19 PM
No problem. Like multi-tools, canes are something which a person can become attached too. If you carry one everyday it becomes part of you and looking at them and reading about them is fun.
Trouble is I'm still in the denial I don't really need a cane phase ::)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 12:02:18 AM
One other thought for something a little different: Go to Grivel's website and take a look around their ice axe offerings.  You could put a rubber foot over the spike for indoor use...

Their actually quite comfortable.

www.grivel.com

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 01:37:12 AM
What size of cane/stick do you need?  I'll keep my eyes open.

Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 08:15:07 AM
What size of cane/stick do you need?  I'll keep my eyes open.
Thanks mate :tu:

About 39 inches :)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 11:37:37 PM
You must be tall but with short arms.

Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 11:43:38 PM
You must be tall but with short arms.
No I'm fairly normally proportioned :), I just got measured by the Podiatrist, and that's the length they said I needed to prevent damage to my hips :)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 11:55:17 PM
I am 5'9'' so normally I should take an approximately 36" cane according to this website.

http://www.clearcanes.com/size.html

However I have really long arms so my cane is shorter. 33 inches

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 05, 2009, 11:06:31 PM
I have been thinking about making a walking stick out bamboo you can buy it cheap at garden centers. You could cut it to any length you like. You could store stuff in the handle maybe use something like a champagne cork for a plug. Wrap the handle with para cord well you get the idea. I am sure you could think of lots of other things you could add. What do you think?

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 11:59:38 PM
One popular material for walking canes was known as Malacca.  Basically a rattan, which is a grass.  Just like bamboo.  I have seen old bamboo canes as well so there is no reason it shouldn't work AFAIK.  They never looked the most sturdy of things, but maybe it is deceptively strong.  After all they use bamboo as scaffolding in China etc.

Reply #57 on: March 06, 2009, 08:00:23 AM
I have been thinking about making a walking stick out bamboo you can buy it cheap at garden centers. You could cut it to any length you like. You could store stuff in the handle maybe use something like a champagne cork for a plug. Wrap the handle with para cord well you get the idea. I am sure you could think of lots of other things you could add. What do you think?

Mike
I'd be interested in some pictures when your finished mate :tu:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: March 16, 2009, 11:17:51 PM
I found a cane that might work for you. It's called a Hercules. It's 44 incheas long and cant be cut down to whatever length you need. It's designed for people who weight up to 500lbs so I'm assuming it's a STOUT cane. And it looks nothing like a "fighting cane" so if you needed to whack someone up side the head they couldn't say you bought a nasty looking cane with fangs and sharp edges.

Here it is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hercules-Mens-Extra-Wide-Derby-Cane-Harvy-Black_W0QQitemZ120247616933QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120247616933&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Here's a brown one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mens-Hercules-Derby-Handle-Cane_W0QQitemZ270265796456QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270265796456&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

I'm actually thinking about getting one of these. They look sweet, and they also look like they'd be comfortable to hold too. Something that is very important. Hope this helps.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: March 17, 2009, 12:16:44 AM
I think that look very good.  Great find.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%