Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Was there ever a blunt nose Gerber MP400?

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Was there ever a blunt nose Gerber MP400?
on: December 08, 2019, 07:14:17 PM
I've been wondering this for some time and as the title implies, did Gerber ever produce a "blunt nose" Gerber MP400?  To my knowledge only the MP600 series had these, but perhaps Chako or some one that is far more knowledgeable about Gerber multi tools may be able to answer this.  As there is a listing that claims the Gerber below is MP400. 

Searched Chako's Gerber episodes thread, but didn't find any information confirming this.  Personally I think this listing is merely incorrect, but I am not certain.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: Was there ever a blunt nose Gerber MP400?
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 07:49:29 PM
CC, as to the best of my knowledge (and as you're aware), the blunt nose pliers came/come in the mP600 series. From the picture, it appears to be a "Mr Pinchie" (1st. gen. multiplier: flathead rivet vs.  clip post on slider, as found in modern models); I think it is not an MP400 due to the "GERBER" font and rule on the opposing handle, versus the "slot cutouts" on both handles found on the Compact series.
That said, if the price is right, get a nice piece of Gerber history!
Hope someone more knowdgeable chimes in to clarify, and good luck on your endeavour!
 :tu:

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 08:02:55 PM
Thank you for the response, I had a feeling the listing information was merely incorrect.  I've managed to find a first production run of what is considered the Gerber MP600 and even a Fiskars USA version as well.  In this situation, this was merely out of interest. 

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 06:49:13 AM
Juan is correct.  The tool pictured is definitely a late "Mr Pinchy", not an MP400.

In my numbering system this is a version 5 Mr Pinchy.  These were sold with either needle nose pliers (for the first time) or blunt nose pliers similar to the earlier versions;
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48158.msg928733.html#msg928733

The blunt nose pliers fitted to MP600s were much beefier than the blunt nose pliers fitted to Mr Pinchies.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:54:18 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%