Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kuksas

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Kuksas
Reply #30 on: January 18, 2020, 10:13:13 AM
  Another terrific attribute about wooden kuksa is they are natural insulators. Can pour a cold drink in there and it will stay cold even when you're down to a swallow or two left. And, also insulates hot beverages equally as long. Lots of people prefer to drink strong tea or coffee from a kuksa.

Tonight, had a can of Foster's in the fridge and consumed with the kuksa instead of the can. :)  Mmm...

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 18, 2020, 05:44:46 PM
Good to know!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 09:04:11 PM
So I went looking again...
Sold out everywhere. Only to be found in other countries and shipping doubles the price :(

Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 12:38:00 PM
So I went looking again...
Sold out everywhere. Only to be found in other countries and shipping doubles the price :(

Etsy bills directly to your account's credit card. Have been using them over a few years. Beloyar Yargin does not charge extra for shipping, is included in the price. Not sure how he can make any money doing that as it cost me $24 to send a Leatherman UTA to Germany. And Beloyar's kuksa are tracked, and the postal service wanted to charge me an extra $14 for that service. So the guy isn't making a lot. Unless the exchange rate is THAT GOOD.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 12:55:28 PM
  So I asked Beloyar if he uses anything to seal the inside of the kuksa, or if it was naturally dense enough not to leak.

Beloyar replied with:
Yes, of course I use impregnation in the kuksa. It must withstand harsh operating conditions. I have not used oil in its pure form for about 2 years, as I have my own composition and technology of impregnation.

So they are indeed sealed, and have seen a video on him testing the water proofness, but he does not (obviously) show how he seals the kuksa.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #35 on: January 19, 2020, 01:21:49 PM
  Was eyeballing this kuksa in the Fire and Kuksa series. Great alternations in colours!

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 04:01:05 PM
  Was bored, waiting for the caffeine from the previous night's work to wear off... so researched more on the kuksa .

The dangle found on most traditional kuksa do have a purpose, since traditionally these were carried on the person. The dangle was tucked underneath between the belt and pants, and the kuksa was suspended. The lanyard was crafted from braided plants, twine, hair, and ever leather. Makes sense, yet there rarely is mention of its intended purpose.

Bushcrafters used kuksa as well. Crafting seems to vary as much as curing. And finishing also differs: Some think the food-safe oil (linseed, walnut, etc.) will leech through from the outside, through the wood grain, when drinking hot liquids. That would add a bad flavour. Others boil the kuksa for a couple of hours, then treated with an alcoholic beverage, and finished off with strong tea or coffee. And then others use their own method. However, few places recommended oiling in inner side, and say to only wash with water and then dried out with a towel or something, and allowed to dry facing downward.

To go one further: Many cultures recommend drinking tea as a way of revitalizing one's energy over drinking just plain water.

Found this link on Duodji in the Sámi Culture: https://web.archive.org/web/20080116222630/http://www.sameslojdstiftelsen.com/?p=42
  Does not seem to go in depth regarding the kuksa, although was interesting to read.
¬ Outback in Idaho

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 04:37:53 PM
  So I asked Beloyar if he uses anything to seal the inside of the kuksa, or if it was naturally dense enough not to leak.

Beloyar replied with:
  So they are indeed sealed, and have seen a video on him testing the water proofness, but he does not (obviously) show how he seals the kuksa.
You can seal Kuksa with coffee, first poir it in around two minutes then pour it away, dont wash it just let it dry few hours. After it dries take 1 spoon wet warm bottom grounded coffee from filter and rub it hard inside of kuksa with your fingers long as needed ( grounded coffee needs to dry while you rub it)

One important notice to use of kuksa, never wash it just flush it and it should last long

Only Tools Matters

Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 05:43:30 PM
  Also found this Bushcrafting method where the OP used 100% Tung Oil. and then another person posted their version: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/kuksa-carving-tips-from-tree-to-finished-kuksa.196585/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 05:48:58 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 10:03:19 AM
  Enjoying some cocoa with my coffee before work.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 04:23:54 PM
Maybe I've missed how many ounces this cup is? 
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 06:15:27 AM
  Mine is at 7 ounces. They all can vary. Seen some sell for exorbitantly more for 4 ounces.  :ahhh

Beloyar does make a bigger capacity kuksa. Although most kuksa are 4 to 6 ounces that are hand carved.

The first one I got, way too thin to be an insulator needs oiled a lot, although it clams to be 12 ounces. Haven’t used it since getting the hand carved one from Beloyar Yargin of Russia.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #42 on: February 01, 2020, 02:44:30 PM
  Beloyar Yarhin has a couple of rather large kuksa mugs.

Here's one that is 20 ounces. Could use it as a bowl even.

Another he calls a Big Swallow, about the same price, but does not state the ounces.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%