Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm Hook Replacement

us Offline Enginears

91mm Hook Replacement
on: December 14, 2022, 03:14:03 PM
Hey guys,

I am pondering a few mods and wanted to check on tools that have been known to replace the hook, and whether or not they all need to be redrilled to maintain tension on the spring.

I went through a whole debacle trying to fit the awl and bend the spring, which after hours of fitting work getting it 90% of the way, resulted in ruined spring and broken scissors  :oops: :facepalm: So I realize drilling a new hole is the way to go.

I have seen some folks (most recently Bismouth) putting the 58mm combo tool on the back of the scissors, does this require a new hole or can it drop in? Is the bump on the spring ground off or left?

I plan to tear apart a rover I have to look but thought I would gather information before doing that. Any info is appreciated.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: 91mm Hook Replacement
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 04:03:26 PM
Hey guys,

I am pondering a few mods and wanted to check on tools that have been known to replace the hook, and whether or not they all need to be redrilled to maintain tension on the spring.

I went through a whole debacle trying to fit the awl and bend the spring, which after hours of fitting work getting it 90% of the way, resulted in ruined spring and broken scissors  :oops: :facepalm: So I realize drilling a new hole is the way to go.

I have seen some folks (most recently Bismouth) putting the 58mm combo tool on the back of the scissors, does this require a new hole or can it drop in? Is the bump on the spring ground off or left?

I plan to tear apart a rover I have to look but thought I would gather information before doing that. Any info is appreciated.

Do you think that would be practical to use? Think first about what you'd like to have in the back layer, then work on getting it.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

be Offline bismouth

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 09:05:49 PM
Hello !

New hole is needed... and you need to shorten the combo tool as well... It was a PITA to get trough with conventionnal bits... You'll need some carbid ones!

us Offline Enginears

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 10:55:38 PM
Do you think that would be practical to use? Think first about what you'd like to have in the back layer, then work on getting it.

:cheers: :tu:

That is a good point, I often get hyper focused on what could work and how it will work, and kind of lose sight of the why. Funny enough I love the hook and use it frequently, but on certain knives I want another tool more.

Hello !

New hole is needed... and you need to shorten the combo tool as well... It was a PITA to get trough with conventionnal bits... You'll need some carbid ones!

Thank you for the response. I know what you mean about the regular bits. I have widened a few pivot holes and even that ate more bits than expected. I have not taken the plunge on a drill press, I need to sell another tool to make room.

Have you found the small phillips useful on the back?

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 09:59:22 AM
Can you still open a beer with the combo tool on the back layer? Actually looks really cool but if it it only adds a Phillips then I would just a add a Phillips  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%