Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Visual Differences Between Swisstool X & Surge

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Visual Differences Between Swisstool X & Surge
on: May 28, 2008, 04:32:02 PM
A visual display of differences between two titans the swisstool X & leatherman's surge. I apologize re photo quality as I ran out of good natural light , I will try to replace shots tomorrow if I get a chance the Swissy may be leaving me tomorrow if the new owner is at work :cry: :cry:      The main blades interesting to see how chunky the LM isThe wire cutters again interesting to see how much bigger the LM is , but we have seen I think it was Dunc's barbed wire cut video with a swisstool :DThe X's turn to out do the Lm in the size dept :DAgain the X's working surface is greater than the LM but the LM diamond file is very good & having a interchangeable file/saw sacrifices tool surface area.This is just a visual report I would love to go nuts with the X but I am handing her over as a gift so I am not taking liberty's with her  :D . Will post a couple more shots shortly , again sorry re quality :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:23:07 AM by MultiMat »

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Visual Differences Between Swisstool X & Surge
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:50:47 PM
Great thread Multimat . Theres not many side by side pics of those two giants about .I really hope you do buy a Swisstool and do a full side by side review .

Thanks

Dunc

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:17:35 PM
Nowt wrong with those pictures mate :)

Good to see the 2 leviathans in the ring together >:D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:31:34 PM
I don't think you will go wrong with either one of them,good photo's.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:31:05 PM
I like the SURGE file because the "teeth" go all the way to the end. If you think about it, the SURGE file could be more efficient because of it. Plus, with the wasted file space the ST file is probably the same size anyways.
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:52:15 AM
Great piccies mate!  :)

Love the ruler.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:28:52 AM
Great side by side MM great pics as well  :D Two great tools that are both on my "to get someday list"  :ahhh

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:39:02 AM
I like the SURGE file because the "teeth" go all the way to the end. If you think about it, the SURGE file could be more efficient because of it. Plus, with the wasted file space the ST file is probably the same size anyways.

Overall the Swisstool has the same cutting surface as the Surge . One thing that works well on the Swisstool is if your filing something delicate and dont want to mark the metal around it that plain bit near the tip is quite handy .

Dunc

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 04:38:58 PM

Ben speaking of pain I do not know if you get this ad its a bit  :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:31:34 PM

Ben speaking of pain I do not know if you get this ad its a bit  :D

LOL!  :D

I remember that one.
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 05:42:28 AM
Some more & then no more :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:46:47 AM by MultiMat »

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 10:10:52 AM
  Swisstool is 4 ounces lighter than the Surge iirc
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 08:54:16 PM
  Swisstool is 4 ounces lighter than the Surge iirc

... that's over 100 grams !
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:07:02 PM by McStitchy »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 05:30:13 PM
Great side by side MM great pics as well  :D Two great tools that are both on my "to get someday list"  :ahhh

I have had both for several years now and they are both great but I think I like the SURGE!!! more :whistle: :D

Over 11 years between those posts now :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

And great necro, OiI :like:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 04:35:31 AM
I have had both for several years now and they are both great but I think I like the SURGE!!! more :whistle: :D

Over 11 years between those posts now :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

And great necro, OiI :like:

I too have had both for a few years now and both are AWLSOME.  I did a Swisstool and a Surge challenge back to back and although the Surge has some great features (Vic could get a few ideas) I still land on the Swisstool side of the fence.   I do have to give the Surge credit for me giving Leatherman a second chance.
Just goes to prove...
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 01:36:34 PM
  Have an original style Surge. The bugger won't break in the jaws or anything, so cannot send it in for pliers retrofit. :rant:

Thought about the SwissTool, yet I cannot justify the purchase of one as the spirit covers all the bases, and the chisel on the Spirit X has that corner sharpened whereas the SwissTool is nothing but a chisel - least from the YouTube reviews I've seen.

Tried carrying a Surge for a while, but that's like a pound on the belt. The tool is way too big for comfort and I've rarely ever used it. The sliding-cover on the tool exchanger is the most annoying part of the multitool, though it's just a minor annoyance. And the saw/file is short cause of the extender. Rather have a long file & saw.

Surge sits in the cubby most the time. Charge TTi saw way more use, up until I did buy the Spirit X. Only differences I see is the Charge can get used when dirty and whatnot, and the Spirit clumps up at times when something seeped down in. A quick wash makes the Spirit happy. I do use the chisel to cut rinds and peels off of fruit - so it is to be expected, and no way whining. Of the two though, Spirit X is lighter weight, while the CTTi is more aesthetically appealing.

Still, in the end, function and use is #1 in my book. Aesthetics only enhances, or makes up for short-comings? :whistle:

SwissTool is lighter, but it has the same tools as the Spirit, and nothing seems to be any different to justify purchasing one. Thus while I looked at online videos, hoping there was some special nuance the ST had.

One thing that did pop to mind, is how does one sharpen that fully serrated knife?!? :ahhh  Use a Triangle SharpMaker that sharpens about everything I have, including serrated blades, but that Swiss one must be a tedious thing to sharpen.

Do wished there was a better steel version of the SwissTool or Spirit to be had for extra cost. Do miss the edge holding of the Charge TTi's S30V steel. If only Victorinox had S30V steel on the main PE blade, chisel, and awl - I'd leap into without questioning the price.

Unsure about that blackened chrome finish I seen on some Swiss made tools. Rather have a thin, textured titanium scale on the outer handles, maybe with small 3 inch / 7.5 CM ruler embedded into it for quick measurement of smaller things. Still, more function on Victorinox than Leatherman - though Leatherman does have replaceable wire cutters as a perk.

Undecided... if only there was a more unique SwissTool... Edit: SwissTool RS looks interesting... :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 02:20:44 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2019, 06:16:58 PM
You are absolutely correct about the Swisstool chisel, it is far better designed on the Spirit.  As to the big differances, the 9" ruler, 90 deg stops on the handles so it can be used as a square, heavier build for heavier use.  The file has about twice the surface area, the saw is longer and is wider so it can handle harder materials without chancing breakage, the dedicated crate opener also doubles as that oversized straight bladed screwdriver you can never find with out a 2 foot long shank, full sized Vic Scissors, the handles are flat and a thicker metal allowing it to be used as an impromptu hammer.  So basicly if the Spirit is the right package but just a little light duty for several of the tasks you encounter daily, then step up to the Swisstool.  As to Vic's blackened finnish, it is differant from the traditional BO coating others use.  It somehow is actually the outer surface of the Steal, almost like the blueing of a high end gun barrel and actually provides a luster that holds up better than the traditional BO treatments.  If  sharpening the SE is an issue just get the Swisstool X it has the plain edge and scissors, no serated edge.  For the total package get the CS Plus package with the ratchet, bit holder, extension and pouch to hold everything.  The Swisstool is more blocky than the Spirit's ergonomic design, but there are cases where that is adventagious and it's still very comfotable to use and has NO hot spots or pinch points.  Vic's blade steal might be a LITTLE soft but it NEVER rusts and is super easy to maintain.

I carried the Swisstool CS Plus for the better part of 20 years, even though I had a Spirit.  The field work I did just required that extra robust build, now that I spend most of my days doing office and lighter field work I find the Spirit to be MORE than adequite to my needs.  I still keep a user Swisstool handy because there are just some jobs that it is better suited to.

If I were to make any sugestions to Vic for a Swisstool/ Spirit II design it would be Spirit chisel on both, Standard Vic scissors on both, wider opening jaws on both (all Leatherman's seem to open wider), replacable cutters, a diamond file, and a right hand OHO blade.  Yes I know it sounds like a cross breed and I guess that's why it will most likely remain just a dream tool. :drool: :drool:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 06:46:39 PM
If you want a Swisstool RS, I'd advise not waiting too long since I believe they're discontinued as they're not longer present in the catalogs.

Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 01:36:16 AM
  Saw a couple on Amazon at $135

Supposedly the tools are spring loaded?

Read this review of it last night: Victorinox SwissTool RS – we know it’s not cheap but let’s see if it’s worth it
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:41:40 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 07:07:04 AM
I pick mine up on Evil-bay between $50-$80 on a regular basis.  The RS is the first Swisstool I ever had and served me well for many years.  Today I carry the X because I find the file/ hacksaw to be more often needed and a well maintained PE will do any thing an SE blade will.  The SE just does some things faster or easier. As to spring loaded blades they are not.  Each tool does however have it's very own back spring just like your Spirit and the lock functions exacly the same as well.  If you're looking on ebay blow up the pictures and inspect them closely.  Don't be afraid of dirt and grime, it comes right off with hot soapy water, dry it out, then lightly oil with mineral oil and it's just like new.  That dirt and grime can realy help keep the price down as many mistake it for corrosion.   The Swisstool and Spirit are wonderfull companions or stand alones, in my not so humble opinion you should have at least one of each as they both excell in differant areas.  Happy hunting.
Dr.  McCoy

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 03:37:48 PM
I prefer the Victorinox tools dirty and "corroded" too :D

Lower price, easily washed and/or polished.

Seller's pic:

Cleaned:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 05:39:14 PM
Great Minds...

Here's a before and after of my recenty aquired '97 Swisstool
Before

After
Dr.  McCoy

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 06:41:10 PM
:2tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 06:54:23 PM
I prefer the Victorinox tools dirty and "corroded" too :D

Lower price, easily washed and/or polished.

Seller's pic:

(Image removed from quote.)

Cleaned:

Oh boy, that’s beautiful  :drool:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 06:55:16 PM
Great Minds...

Here's a before and after of my recenty aquired '97 Swisstool
Before

After
Excellent job  :like: :cheers:

Reply #25 on: December 09, 2019, 12:57:57 PM
  Was almost tempted to buy a SwissTool from eBay that had the SE with the file... then remembered I have a Surge that's rarely been used. Are the pliers more heavy duty in comparison to the first version Surge?

Thinking I should toss the BO Surge in the car as I've not really used it since getting it. Is why I was thinking of getting a SwissTool with different assortment of items than the Spirit X, as am quite pleased with the Spirit X.

A fella at Walmart was showing me his Ozark Trail version of the Wave. Tools are harder to get out, and the nail nicks are deep. Guess if one cannot afford quality multitools they might be okay. I would not buy one for a gift, as my principles would be against doing such a despicable thing. :whistle:

Then I showed him the chisel. That got his attention, and the outer opening tools. :P
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%