Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Head's up for Doggie owners!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Head's up for Doggie owners!
on: December 28, 2008, 11:04:00 PM
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Head's up for Doggie owners!
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:08:32 PM
My father in law killed one of his dogs by throwing a stick for him.  He caught it wrong and it went down his throat.

He still gets pretty upset about it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 11:10:16 PM by Benner »
I'm back!!

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:09:00 PM
My father in law killed one of his dogs by throwing a stick for him.  He caught it wrong at it went down his throat.

He still gets pretty upset about it.
I bet he does :(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:30:35 PM
My Uncle (the one that used to live up near Dunc) had a Boxer a long time ago, and we used to throw huge rocks into the sea for it to fetch.

Once, on the beach at Cromer, I chucked a rock, only about 10 feet off-shore, and we had to go and fetch the dog after a while, because it "forgot to breath". I'm sure it would have drowned looking for this rock, stupid animal.

Back on topic, it did follow a stick off a cliff once, must have fallen a good 20 feet. It bounced though, and showed no real injuries.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:32:06 PM
Dogs is dogs is dogs.  They play rough, and they get hurt, and the odd one will have a fatal accident- it unfortunately happens.  What we have to remember is the billions of times people throw sticks for their dogs with no problems whatsoever.  Like kids, the odd one will develop problems, and like kids it tragic when they do, especially if it's fatal, but like kids, you can't coddle a dog and expect them to turn out normal.

That having been said, Pete and I used to play fetch in the park with a rubber novelty severed hand.  You should have seen the look on people's faces when this giant, powerful, dangerous looking dog went running by them with a severed hand hanging out of his mouth!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:33:52 PM
Dogs is dogs is dogs.  They play rough, and they get hurt, and the odd one will have a fatal accident- it unfortunately happens.  What we have to remember is the billions of times people throw sticks for their dogs with no problems whatsoever.  Like kids, the odd one will develop problems, and like kids it tragic when they do, especially if it's fatal, but like kids, you can't coddle a dog and expect them to turn out normal.

That having been said, Pete and I used to play fetch in the park with a rubber novelty severed hand.  You should have seen the look on people's faces when this giant, powerful, dangerous looking dog went running by them with a severed hand hanging out of his mouth!  :D

Def

^^ What he said :tu:
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 11:36:46 PM
OK. In that article, the vet was complaining about all the surgery he has to charge for do? Am I reading that right?

I used to come here a lot.

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 11:37:05 PM
I'm not advocating babying dog's (or should that be puppying :D I'll get my coat :-[) I just never realised the injuries were so common :-\

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 03:32:06 PM
If you do a search for "dog" and "rawhide" you'll learn that pieces of rawhide that aren't too large to be swallowed can also swell up in the stomach and block the intestines causing injury, death or expensive surgery as well.  So, to be safe, you shouldn't let your dogs chew on chew toys.

Red food coloring in treats and dog food is toxic, so by all means, never feed your dog treats or dog food.  Many dogs are also hit by cars, so never let your dog outside...  Unexercised dogs can become depressed and develop emotional issues, so make certain you walk them around the living room 400 times per day, varying the route constantly to alleviate boredom.  Contact with fecal matter and urine can cause various infections, so don't allow your dog to urinate or defecate anywhere that he or she may come in contact with it.

Dog saliva contains bacteria, so don't let your dog lick your face, or any other part of your body.  If licking occurs, contact the nearest HAZMAT unit and remain under quarantine until you receive further instructions from qualified personnel.

There is also a long history of dogs biting people, so you should never venture within 150 yards of your dog if he or she still has their teeth.  Since dogs don't brush their teeth, they may also suffer from gingivitis, and so you should never venture within 200 yards of a dog without teeth.

Another common ailment is a dog's tail being caught in doorways.  Therefore, all doors should be removed from your house, and any/all houses within a half kilometer radius of your house, as well as your car.

I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find similar warnings involving children!  :D

Still, it's good to be aware of potential threats such as this, but imagine how long and healthy a life your dog or child would have if sealed in a hermetically sealed, climate controlled glass box?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 03:46:51 PM
We just agreed to buy a puppy from a friend , it is a mung(cross breed) . The puppies were irresistible & our youngest son has always wanted a dog & the eldest is scared of dogs(cant have that).BUT it will be a small dog & I like medium too large dogs like Staffy's , Border Collies & Rottweilers. As our first family dog I think small one will be good & I can get a big dog down the track  :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:52:02 PM
"Mung" has a very different definition over here, and I don't recommend you Google it or you'll be very, very sorry....

A small dog is better than no dog, but I'm with you- medium and large dogs are the best!  :D  My "puppy" (and I use that term loosely!) is over 90 pounds now, at 7 months old.  My best guess is she'll top out around 120 pounds, or almost double the weight of my house wolf, a Siberian Husky.

Best of luck to anyone breaking into my house!  :D

Def

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 06:24:23 PM
I have a pug named Emma, and she is the best dog I have ever had..
B

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 09:25:43 PM
I'm worse about collecting dogs than MTs :ahhh

2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks (Joey Ramone and Kiona)
2 Jack Russell terriers (James Dean and Dogzilla)
1 West Highland White terrier (Newt)

I'm gonna hafta get after those dogs.  One will pick up a stick and the others will give chase, in the attempt to get control of it.  I'll pro'lly hafta start leaving Jello molds around so that no one gets hurt.  :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%