Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?

Poll

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping, etc.?

HD pliers-based MT (LM Surge, LM-ST)
Full size pliers-based MT (LM Wave, Charge, Rebar, SwissTool, Gerber CD)
Medium size pliers-based MT (LM Juice, Vic Spirit, Gerber 400)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" pliers based MT (Gerber Dime, LM Squirt)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" scissors based MT (LM Micra)
130mm Swiss Army Knife
111mm SAK
93mm SAK
91mm SAK
84mm SAK
58mm SAK
Knife-based MT (Leatherman Free K series, Boker Tech-tool)
One Piece Multitool (Gerber Shard, EDC Card Tool)
Other

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
In response to the thread of a similar topic.

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?

Rather than getting granular with whether you prefer the corkscrew over the Phillips or want scissors on your Leatherman, I thought that classifying preferences for size and, frankly, whether or not you want to carry pliers, was a better indication of what sort of multitool you prefer to take on outdoor adventures where weight is a factor.

I've only allowed one vote, but you can change it based on the lively discussion that I hope this stimulates. 

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Well it looks like 91mm SAK is the clear winner      :pok:     :D       ;)    (in the poll of one!!)
Although I sometimes go 111mm or 130mm (shorter walks)

EDIT PS
Here's a link to the other thread EB mentions - If anyone wants to read it
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59099.0.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:35:11 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
My Vic Huntsman is the one I always EDC and I always take it camping, hiking or hunting as well. It pretty much does everything I need a knife to do. That is not to say that I do not partner it up with other knives depending upon the situation, but I would not feel under-equipped with only the Huntsman.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
I select a Rebar for my hiking and my bike packing/camping rides. 

For camping kitchen transported via vehicle I have a Surge in the portable kitchen box.   All by itself it fulfills awl tools in the kitchen drawer. 

For hunting trips my SuperTool 300 rides or did on the hip.  The PE & SE blade work well and the saw does clear cuts on bones and tendons. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I voted Other.
What I take usually depends things like: who else is going, location, weather, food, duration, objectives and so on...
A folder and/or fixed blade will almost always be taken.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
It was discussed in another thread about super minimalists. The idea of only carrying a Classic does not really appeal to me. I just seem to find too many uses for a knife like my Huntsman. That is for ME. I certainly am not saying anything negative about someone only taking a Classic if that is the tool that meets their needs.

Personally, if I were going for extreme minimalism on a hike or camping trip, my choice would be the Victorinox Lumberjack. For size, the alox version is hard to beat, and is pretty tough. I have found so many uses for the SAK saw (making traps, walking sticks, weapons if needed) that I am pretty insistant on having one when in the woods.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Sos24

If hiking, the yeoman with wood saw is my preferred tool.  If going backpacking,ore remotely then most likely the Spirit to also have pliers available.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Well it looks like 91mm SAK is the clear winner      :pok:     :D       ;)    (in the poll of one!!)
Although I sometimes go 111mm or 130mm (shorter walks)

EDIT PS
Here's a link to the other thread EB mentions - If anyone wants to read it
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59099.0.html

Do you think I should have set the poll to allow everyone two choices? :dunno:

Sounds like with this crowd everyone has two - even me -  :think: I bring a 91mm SAK, have been since I started venturing outdoors.  If I'm honest, there has always been a second MT with me (since I saved up the money to get a second one ...  :D).  These days it's a 93mm or 111mm along with a 91mm, which is the constant. 

As a moderator, can you alter the settings on the poll?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
As a moderator, can you alter the settings on the poll?

Can do this if you want!!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Can do this if you want!!

Yes please!  Everyone gets two choices!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club

us Offline cody6268

In the woods anymore--SwissTool and fixed blade if I'm just going into the mountainous, wooded Back 40. Maybe a 58mm on me, and if I'm carrying my pack, either an Estwing Camper's hatchet or a Vaughan carpenter's axe. And seriously, if I went camping again, I'd take those with me again--no need for three SAKs, two pliers based MTs, and a fixed blade--I went into serious overkill, adding weight and duplicated tools I didn't need. I have a pocket saw which is basically a chainsaw chain that has yokes with nylon handles attached at each end. Good for getting limbs that are over my head--that is carried in a grenade pouch on the outside of my pack.

And almost always, there's a 58mm there somewhere. Scissors, mostly. Though the MiniChamp to me, has largely supplanted the too-thin Classic and Companion.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I selected 111mm and Vic spirit(Mid size tool), I prefer 111mm because it has a good length of blade, one hand opening and lockable, so people could borrow it and probably less chance of getting hurt.

Vic spirit because its lightweight and very capable, and the tool set(especially the chisel tool) is fantastic for outdoor setting.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
I have used a Workchamp for this purpose. However, a recent hunting/camping trip which involved a lot of hiking made me begin to reconsider for something lighter. I had two fixed blades and a Sven Saw already. Why lug a workchamp just for the longer saw and blade? I found a Juice CS4 brand new in box today and paid probably a little more than I should have for it, but this will probably see carry time on similar excursions.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
I'm still fine-tuning it, but generally a 91mm or 93mm SAK, plus a sturdy fixed blade.

For the SAK, 91mm has a better tool selection, but 93mm is a bit more bombproof.  Favorites include the Huntsman, Pioneer Harvester, and Pioneer X.

For the FB, current favorites include the Fallkniven A-1 and Mora Garberg.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
.......  Favorites include the Huntsman, Pioneer Harvester, and Pioneer X..

..... hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?  ... Not the Farmer? ...Saw more useful than scissors in the wild   ???

Hmmm ....... Maybe stick with the Huntsman and have both :)

us Offline Sos24

For the SAK, 91mm has a better tool selection, but 93mm is a bit more bombproof.  Favorites include the Huntsman, Pioneer Harvester, and Pioneer X.
..... hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?  ... Not the Farmer? ...Saw more useful than scissors in the wild   ???

The durability strength of the 93mm over 91mm and the utility of the saw and scissors is one reason I got a Farmer X that I found online.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
The durability strength of the 93mm over 91mm and the utility of the saw and scissors is one reason I got a Farmer X that I found online.
Check out Felix Immler on YouTube. He may make you change your mind. You can do all sorts of things in combination with the back side tools. One example is making a saw with longer reach.

it Offline SirVicaLot

I usually carry a 91mm SAK (Handyman or SwissChamp) or the Spirit X when we go hiking.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
I have used a Workchamp for this purpose. However, a recent hunting/camping trip which involved a lot of hiking made me begin to reconsider for something lighter. I had two fixed blades and a Sven Saw already. Why lug a workchamp just for the longer saw and blade? I found a Juice CS4 brand new in box today and paid probably a little more than I should have for it, but this will probably see carry time on similar excursions.

(Image removed from quote.)

The Juice CS4 looks good for backpacking - relatively small and has a saw.  I've had to stop myself from getting one, on several occasions.  Mainly because in effort to reduce redundancy - I just don't need another plier based MT. 

Or do I?   :doh:

I could always use another tool with a saw,   :dd:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
The Juice CS4 looks good for backpacking - relatively small and has a saw.  I've had to stop myself from getting one, on several occasions.  Mainly because in effort to reduce redundancy - I just don't need another plier based MT. 

Or do I?   :doh:

I could always use another tool with a saw,   :dd:
My excuse was that I’m going to Italy. If I understand correctly, you can carry a multitool with a knife blade around all you want, but you can’t carry a dedicated knife without a stated reason. On top of that, locking blades are “frowned upon” whatever that means. This is what I could gather from google anyways.

Whatever, a chance to buy a new tool!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
My excuse was that I’m going to Italy. If I understand correctly, you can carry a multitool with a knife blade around all you want, but you can’t carry a dedicated knife without a stated reason. On top of that, locking blades are “frowned upon” whatever that means. This is what I could gather from google anyways.

Whatever, a chance to buy a new tool!

Ah yes

Some of the European laws you need to keep in mind if you intend to have a relatively standard "system".

One-hand opening, locking blades, and a certain length are issues that can come up in Europe, and some big cities in the US. 

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club

Ah yes

Some of the European laws you need to keep in mind if you intend to have a relatively standard "system".

One-hand opening, locking blades, and a certain length are issues that can come up in Europe, and some big cities in the US.
Went to Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic this time last year. Laws in all three of those countries were less prohibitive than NYC.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
My GF is currently on a river cruise down the Danube with her daughter who is a travel agent. Today they were in Passau. She sent me pictures of a shop in Passau that had a huge selection of Victorinox available. Unfortunately I already had just about every model she was suggesting...but what surprised me most is that they also seemed to have a selection of firearms. In the picture she sent, I saw a broom handle Mauser C96, some Ruger revolvers and others. I dont know if they were on display as curios or for sale...

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Hiking, camping or whatever, I carried a Super Tinker for 25 some odd years. A few years ago I retired that one (its 30 years old now, and been through the wringer).

I often carry a Huntsman or Camper - something with a saw - if I'm outdoors.

These days I like to keep a plyers tool on me as well. Mainly to use while moving hot cups off the fire but for all sorts of uses. If car camping I have kayaks with me and the foot pegs and other parts are held in by screws. Cooler lids, bicycles and whatever else. I want to be able to fix or adjust that stuff.

I know I dont need as many of the Rebar tools when just day hiking, but I sure feel better pairing it up with the Huntsman. There is a lot of tool duplication there, but to me, two are one and one is none and the extra weight of the Rebar is usually negligible if I am being careful about any other weight I'm carrying.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club

For a “pure” woods knife, the lesser-known Pioneer Harvester is a superior choice to the popular Farmer.  To wit:
- When hiking/backpacking (as opposed to car camping), I am not carrying and am unlikely to run across any canned food, so not likely to need the can opener.  (And if by some strange twist I do, the backup Alox Bantam in my wallet will handle it.). Also, very little (if any) of my hiking/backpacking gear (and none of the natural environment) is held together by screws, so the small screwdriver tip on the can opener is also unlikely to be needed.  In contrast, the utility of the pruner blade in this type of environment is significant, providing backup to the primary blade, allowing one blade to be used for “dirty” tasks and the other for “clean” tasks, etc.
- The Farmer’s keyring attachment could create a hotspot under extended use.

When it comes to saw vs. scissors, the scissors are one of my most used tools.  Sure, it is often for personal grooming, but that is important regardless of location.  When I don’t have the scissors, I really do miss them, and I greatly prefer the “full-size” 91mm scissors to the 58mm, 74mm, or 85mm versions.  With regard to the saw, however, I just don’t get much use out of it, even in the woods.  I don’t mind having it along just in case, but all other things being equal, it wouldn’t make sense for me to trade a tool I use almost daily (scissors) for one I almost never use (saw).

The tool load out of the Huntsman is definitely the best of the bunch, but I feel like I have to be really careful to avoid physical, thermal, and or chemical damage to the cellidor scales.  Coupled with the knowledge that a damaged or missing scale could make the knife difficult and uncomfortable to use at a time and place where I need it and can’t readily replace it, this is enough to prevent the Huntsman from being the clear winner.

I would love to see the 93mm X line expanded.  Farmer X, Pioneer Harvester X...
:drool:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
For day hiking or backpacking I am guessing that a Farmer X or Huntsman would be just about all I really need

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
For a “pure” woods knife, the lesser-known Pioneer Harvester is a superior choice to the popular Farmer.

I would love to see the 93mm X line expanded.  Farmer X, Pioneer Harvester X...
:drool:

Pioneer Harvester AKA the Swiss Army 7.  Looks like a good choice. I too would like to see something new in Alox with scissors.

Offline Scorpion Regent

111mm GAK.  It's a goldilocks MT for backpacking, not too big, not too small, not to heavy, just right.  If I am at a fixed base camp I'll bring my Gerber CD too, but the GAK is the essential tool that I don't leave behind.
9_420011.jpg
* 9_420011.jpg (Filesize: 30.93 KB)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
I selected 111mm and Vic spirit(Mid size tool), I prefer 111mm because it has a good length of blade, one hand opening and lockable, so people could borrow it and probably less chance of getting hurt.

Vic spirit because its lightweight and very capable, and the tool set(especially the chisel tool) is fantastic for outdoor setting.

Comis pointed out (to me at least) that the 91 and 93mm SAKs have the same saws, with the same length.  I thought that was worth noting. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%