Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping, etc.?

HD pliers-based MT (LM Surge, LM-ST)
Full size pliers-based MT (LM Wave, Charge, Rebar, SwissTool, Gerber CD)
Medium size pliers-based MT (LM Juice, Vic Spirit, Gerber 400)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" pliers based MT (Gerber Dime, LM Squirt)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" scissors based MT (LM Micra)
130mm Swiss Army Knife
111mm SAK
93mm SAK
91mm SAK
84mm SAK
58mm SAK
Knife-based MT (Leatherman Free K series, Boker Tech-tool)
One Piece Multitool (Gerber Shard, EDC Card Tool)
Other

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping? 6655

No Life Club Posts: 2,536
Re: What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »
Have you guys seen the Leatherman Signal in Cobalt?   :drool:

I wish they did it in orange. :D

Can you put a charge blade in the signal? Basically upgrade it to better steel and a plain edged blade rather than the combo.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
No Life Club Posts: 3,036
Re: What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2020, 09:56:09 AM »
Had a huntsman in my bag but this little bantam I keep as back up never leaves my person when out in the bush so often ends up being used the most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Life Club Posts: 1,663
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2020, 01:28:53 PM »
 :like: :cheers:

All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..
No Life Club Posts: 2,824
No Life Club Posts: 1,303
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2021, 01:45:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADV79EdZuis

When I saw the guys name was Rob Evans I thought it sounded Welsh and then he started talking and hoo-boy that's one of my folk alright! Great to see a Welshman in something like this and great to see a demonstration of how capable even a simple two layer SAK can be in the wild  :tu:

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2021, 12:19:59 AM »
Well... it's happened... I've changed my mind, again. 

A couple of years ago I got a little twig stove that I really like.  It turns out that cutting all the wood to roughly equal lengths makes for a better burn.  So, for that I have been using a saw...  for the last couple of trips the 111mm has stayed in my pocket instead of in my pack. 

I've gotten used to the large blade length, and the other implements have already been put through their paces. 

So my 111mm trial phase has resulted in a new favorite for outdoor activities.  I'll still carry a 93mm on most days, but when it comes to hiking and camping... I'll be reaching for my 111mm OHT first. 
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,668 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2021, 12:56:32 AM »
Wise choice :D

I gave up on plier based tools for the outdoors. In all the years I used pliers maybe 2-3 times. My 111mm Outrider is my go to tool, has all I ever need.
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 25,336
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2021, 12:57:37 AM »
 :tu: Good choice 11B.  You too enki. 

Esse Quam Videri
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,369

Nix us

« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2021, 01:14:51 AM »
What about the Hercules?  :think:

Gets you a small pair of pliers......  :think:

I have to agree, for the number of times I've carried pliers-based multitools on walks and camping trips, the number of times I've need pliers has been few. Now, when out on fishing trips, I wouldn't be without pliers, but for general camping and such, they don't come in handy often enough to warrant pack-space or weight.

Or so I tell myself....that Leatherman Juice is pretty easy to sneak into a pack for "what ifs".

I'm also a fan of fixed blades, when paired with a small SAK I feel fairly well equipped.

heterodox, not in the box
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2021, 01:28:25 AM »
What about the Hercules?  :think:

Gets you a small pair of pliers......  :think:

I have to agree, for the number of times I've carried pliers-based multitools on walks and camping trips, the number of times I've need pliers has been few. Now, when out on fishing trips, I wouldn't be without pliers, but for general camping and such, they don't come in handy often enough to warrant pack-space or weight.

Or so I tell myself....that Leatherman Juice is pretty easy to sneak into a pack for "what ifs".

I'm also a fan of fixed blades, when paired with a small SAK I feel fairly well equipped.

I was looking at the Hercules as a What-If knife...  It's my pick for a Zombie Apocalypse knife...

I haven't even needed small pliers on a camping trip... yet. 
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,369

Nix us

« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2021, 01:30:49 AM »
I really like the Hercules....but it is a heavy sort of thing. Relatively speaking.  ;)

heterodox, not in the box
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,668 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2021, 01:54:24 AM »
I really like the Hercules....but it is a heavy sort of thing. Relatively speaking.  ;)

You'd notice the weight. Heck, I even prefer carrying my slide lock Outrider to the liner lock one, and I own both. And that is just 25g, the Hercules you can buy today is 70g heavier to the slide lock Outrider. That's some 30-40% more for a tool you'll never use and has very limited usability, especially if you're still searching for something for the trail.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,088
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2021, 03:10:41 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:like:

The Ranger Grip checks all the boxes except for one - size... it's way too long in a way that I don't even want to get used to it. :whistle:

I wish they made a mini version - somewhere around 100mm
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,749
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
I was looking at the Hercules as a What-If knife...  It's my pick for a Zombie Apocalypse knife...

I haven't even needed small pliers on a camping trip... yet.

My "knife" for a Zombie Apocalypse would be more something like this:

:D
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,749
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2021, 05:36:26 PM »
:like:

The Ranger Grip checks all the boxes except for one - size... it's way too long in a way that I don't even want to get used to it. :whistle:

I wish they made a mini version - somewhere around 100mm

How about the old GAK? I know the saw is kinda weird, but should be fine for some twigs  :think:
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2021, 11:10:26 PM »
How about the old GAK? I know the saw is kinda weird, but should be fine for some twigs  :think:

Meh... the look of the old GAKs or any of the 108mm line was never really my bag.  The blade shape of the 130mm line is nice, and that's one of the things I'd be after. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $134.42
PayPal Fees: $8.36
Net Balance: $126.06
Below Goal: $173.94
Site Currency: USD
42%