Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?

Poll

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping, etc.?

HD pliers-based MT (LM Surge, LM-ST)
Full size pliers-based MT (LM Wave, Charge, Rebar, SwissTool, Gerber CD)
Medium size pliers-based MT (LM Juice, Vic Spirit, Gerber 400)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" pliers based MT (Gerber Dime, LM Squirt)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" scissors based MT (LM Micra)
130mm Swiss Army Knife
111mm SAK
93mm SAK
91mm SAK
84mm SAK
58mm SAK
Knife-based MT (Leatherman Free K series, Boker Tech-tool)
One Piece Multitool (Gerber Shard, EDC Card Tool)
Other

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
On my hike pack I have a Spirit and Swisschamp.
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
I voted 111mm and 93mm. When i know i will go kayaking or hiking i usually have my outdoorpants on me and there i have a OHO trekker and sometimes a fixed blade, depending on what I set out to do.

Otherwise i usually carry my 93mm mod so if I´m going camping or just a Quick walk in the Woods that is what I will carry

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
LM Surge with a fixed blade always. And if possible, a tomahawk also.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Usually a LM KF4 and a fixed blade.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
I've been looking at the Leatherman Signal... just for fun.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I think that the LM Signal would be a good tool for the outdoors, as a supplement. 

Hear me out here...

Just about every one of us carries two tools, and according to my calculations, about half of us carry a plier based MT. 

If I'm going to bring a plier based MT out to the woods with me, it's going to spend most of the time in my pack. 

But since its there, who not relegate my saw to that tool, and keep the same SAK that I carry in town with me in my pocket out to the woods (instead of switching to a 111mm Trekker)? 

Personally, I use the saw on one of my 7 or 8 layer SAKs most often and that stays in my pack most of the time anyway - thats also where I have the extra tools I dont anticipate needing much.   The Signal adds a serrated blade (of questionable use, I understand), and pliers (which I understand I dont need). Regardless, I may as well keep a Signal in my pack.  It almost makes more sense than carrying two different SAKs - theres almost less redundancy.

As for the gimmicks, they don't bother me since I heard what a LM engineer's thought process was.  Far too often, we expect things from gadgets that they weren't designed to do. He admits that they chose a ferro rod that was softer so that it could throw a better spark for that one time it was needed in an emergency.  The only time it's going to be used is when I am in dire straits and I have misplaced my actual ferro rod.   By that time, its no fault of Leatherman if I am going to survive or not, and I'll be glad to have something to try to use.  The whistle adds a splash of color to the tool, if it attracts attention, in an emergency that's good too.  The pommel is good enough to tap in tent stakes or do whatever it is that I would bother to retrieve it from my pack.  It's certainly better than what I was going to use otherwise, isn't it?

In other words - why do I not bring my Leatherman Wave out to the woods?  Its because I don't want to carry 4 different screwdrivers, and a file... more than not anticipating needing the pliers.  If I can get a tool that combines what I am willing to go into my backpack for - a saw, can opener, and if available a serrated blade or pliers - without adding completely useless tools like 17 sizes of flathead drivers... why not?

Offline Scorpion Regent

Just about every one of us carries two tools, and according to my calculations, about half of us carry a plier based MT. 

If I'm going to bring a plier based MT out to the woods with me, it's going to spend most of the time in my pack. 
But since its there, who not relegate my saw to that tool, and keep the same SAK that I carry in town with me in my pocket out to the woods (instead of switching to a 111mm Trekker)? 

When it comes to backpacking weight is at a premium.  Why carry two tools?  Be brutal and choose one tool, being certain it has everything you will need and nothing else.  If you want pliers take the Signal.  If you don't then take a Trekker.  You brought to use right?  Clip it to the shoulder strap or wear it on your belt that way it will be handy when needed.  If you are going to leave it buried in your pack you are looking for excuses not to use it and if that's the case just leave it at home, or don't bother buying it in the first place.  Tools are meant to be used, not for ornamentation or for piece of mind.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
^^^^   Yep gotta agree SR.
For true backpacking you must minimise weight
- And possibly do not even take everything you think you might need - Just take the absolute essentials and compromise!
The MT.o/Boy Scouts motto of "Be Prepared" is replaced my "Minimal Carry"

For instance I find local rocks are pretty good for hammering in tent pegs !!   :D
And as Ihave said before - In decades of climbing, hiking and backpacking I have never really  needed pliers!

Offline Scorpion Regent

For true backpacking you must minimise weight
- And possibly do not even take everything you think you might need - Just take the absolute essentials and compromise!
For instance I find local rocks are pretty good for hammering in tent pegs !!   :D
The Mohave hammer has done its fair share my camps.  Pliers can be truly useful, but needed?  That is a personal decision.  What is your definition of "need"?  A once at home weighs a pound on the trail.  The more you own, the more you are owned.  One of the measures of a individual is how well they make do with what is at hand.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice

I've been looking at the Leatherman Signal... just for fun.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I think that the LM Signal would be a good tool for the outdoors, as a supplement. 

Hear me out here...

Personally, I use the saw on one of my 7 or 8 layer SAKs most often and that stays in my pack most of the time anyway - thats also where I have the extra tools I dont anticipate needing much.   The Signal adds a serrated blade (of questionable use, I understand), and pliers (which I understand I dont need). Regardless, I may as well keep a Signal in my pack.  It almost makes more sense than carrying two different SAKs - theres almost less redundancy.

As for the gimmicks, they don't bother me since I heard what a LM engineer's thought process was.  Far too often, we expect things from gadgets that they weren't designed to do. He admits that they chose a ferro rod that was softer so that it could throw a better spark for that one time it was needed in an emergency.  The only time it's going to be used is when I am in dire straits and I have misplaced my actual ferro rod.   By that time, its no fault of Leatherman if I am going to survive or not, and I'll be glad to have something to try to use.  The whistle adds a splash of color to the tool, if it attracts attention, in an emergency that's good too.  The pommel is good enough to tap in tent stakes or do whatever it is that I would bother to retrieve it from my pack.  It's certainly better than what I was going to use otherwise, isn't it?

Contrarily, I own the Signal and was rather disappointed at it. 

With the same price, folks could have gotten a collection of 'better' tools for real 'outdoor survival'. 

LM Signal is 120usd on Amazon, meanwhile you could have gotten all these gears on Amazon:

Storm whistle 2usd
Bayite 4 Inch Survival Ferrocerium w/ striker  15usd
LM Sidekick 60usd
All weather blanket 20usd
Sawyer Mini 20usd
Rock (free for hammering)

Budget aside, I was a little disappointed in how LM advertise it as a 'outdoor survival' tool(I think they might have changed it now) and while those whom are well versed in survival skill probably have the skill to make do with it (or already have their full set of gears which they can rely on), there always will be some poor souls actually will buy into this false pretense and think it is a 'legit' kit to help them survive.

And as Ethan Becker once pointed out in a video, pommel on knives are not meant to hammer with, but hammer on; same thing apply to the pommel 'hammer' here on Signal, try using this to hammer something like a tent stake, one miss, and you will have a bloody hand to deal with.  And the worst part, the pommel literally interfere with normal usage for half the tools on the chassis.

I did a pretty through test a while back, comparing all the LM/Vic/Gerber/SOG mid and large size tools in a youtube video, and IIRC, the Signal has one of the worst ergo in the entire industry, and the saw result was poor because of that.

Don't get me wrong, I love LM offerings(though I am a SAK fan), but this is one of the weaker link.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
The Mohave hammer has done its fair share my camps.  Pliers can be truly useful, but needed?  That is a personal decision.  What is your definition of "need"?  A once at home weighs a pound on the trail.  The more you own, the more you are owned.  One of the measures of a individual is how well they make do with what is at hand.

:(.  Times were sure simpler when I had but one maybe 2 choices.  Its no wonder I survived ( said with sarcasm )  ;)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club

:(.  Times were sure simpler when I had but one maybe 2 choices.  Its no wonder I survived ( said with sarcasm )  ;).

Ah the good old days -

I remember choosing between a Gerber somethingorother, vs a Leatherman ST or PST.  I chose the LM ST, the only one with locks.... and what a cumbersome locking mechanism it was!  I did my fair share of camping with it - lifting hot pans with the pliers... just because. 

If I had to choose my first MT in this day and age...  :ahhh

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Big beasts, Surge, Core. Something with lots of stuff, including pliers.

Also, I had to look up what 'tramping' was. :pok:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club

That was for YOUR benefit RP! :dwts:
I'm not of the opinion that American English is the only variety. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club

So then, my question is...  what do you use your MT of choice for when hiking, backpacking et cetera?

On my last trip:
blade to open a package of firewood that someone had purchased  ::)
saw and blade to fashion a green stick into a cooking skewer
blade for food prep
can opener for tomatoes that went into the chili
spine of the saw on the ferro rod

thats about it for me...

what about you?

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Pliers come in handy for many things. I had to fix my shoe and I used the pliers to push a needle through the sole. Also cutting coat hangers to make s hooks, and tightening/untying my favorite knot, the friendship knot.
I also like the screwdrivers for scavenging spare parts off of furniture. Saws for making handles for things and file to finish them off. Serrated blade for opening my peanuts/trailmix.

The funnest was using the pliers of the Core to remove the hook from this eel.
Show content

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Other....if you can count that little Victoronix nail clipper combo in my FAK.

Weight is the enemy, I'll leave the MT for somebody else in the group to carry, never used.

us Offline mashguy4077

Mine is either my Victorinox Swisstool or Spirit which I carry everyday weather I am in the woods or not.
 It never changes  :multi:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
 :like: Sure make things easy. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Scorpion Regent

Mine is either my Victorinox Swisstool or Spirit which I carry everyday weather I am in the woods or not.
 It never changes  :multi:

The weather always changes :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Thinking about the old adage "one is none, two is one, three is prepared", and also thinking about weight.

Is there anything else that we regularly carry backups for?  Recently I did get a backup stove (because I wanted a different kind, and voila! I have a "backup").

Once I start looking at redundancy in the name of preparedness, I roll down the slippery slope because of added weight. 

So then I wonder... do I really need the "right tool for the job"?  Probably not.  The hemostats in my FAK are mini pliers if I ever need one to repair gear.  Each edged tool is a backup for the other, even if nothing is considered the "right tool".  I don't carry a fixed blade, partly because It would obviate the need for my other tools, and mainly because a good bushcraft fixed blade is not that great of a multi-purpose tool.  A good fixed blade for bushcraft is bad for food prep - it will split food rather than slice it.  The corkscrew comes in handy for a lot of things, and I'm sure I can manage to use someting else in its stead... except for opening a cork.  (yes, that happens to me in the woods).  I'm not good at the can-opener on the cork trick. 

So that leaves me to consider weight in my pack... and we all know mathematically speaking, every ounce counts.  So with what combination of tools will I have the least weight?  And with that question in mind, enter the Victorinox OHT vs Swisschamp dielemma...   :dunno:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 07:12:02 PM by ElevenBlade »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Check this poll out ... > 350 votes, but not outdoor activity specific.

Interesting results.

https://strawpoll.com/1d99w836

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I've come to realize I've got to carry what feels right for me.  I see the thru hikers load outs and the ultralight folks as well.  Its about goals it seems.  Their goal is ULTRA light and so they have a predetermined mindset to achieve that.  We or I am looking at preparedness.  With that goal in mind I try to balance practicality and need or perceived need.  I have considered needs from past hikes mixed with a bit of want and a touch of I like this piece of gear. 

If weight is the concern then you must carry the target weight.  If preparedness is the goal then follow what makes sense to you.  If you care to strike a balance of weight then you can decide the target weight and preparedness and off you go. 

As if it was this easy  :whistle: :popcorn:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Scorpion Regent

I've come to realize I've got to carry what feels right for me.  We or I am looking at preparedness. 

True preparedness is having the skills to be able to do a lot with very little.  Load out weight isn't just about speed and easy walking, it also is about practicality.  The heavier your load the more calories you have to burn to carry it, which in turn means more food that you will have to carry.  Factors like climatic extremes (cold weather gear or extra water), harsh terrain and high altitude will clarify priorities even faster.
In the end it really boils down to one simple concept, if it makes the trip easier bring it.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
looking at the numbers so far...

I find it interesting that the Leatherman Juice isnt more popular, and that it's being discontinued.  I thought it filled an important need - a lightweight plier based MT which is more for quick repairs than hard work.  I never got one because I already have plenty of things for camping...  but if I had to pick one thing (and I was one of the un-initiated) I would strongly consider a Juice. 

I think... as a group we tend to use tools just to use them... or we use what we intend to...  rather than having something "just in case"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
We love tools that for sure  :tu:.  Like Dave Caterbury we go tool heavy.  I've been looking back at what I've carried and the quality has increased however the quantity tends to remain the same.  Pocket knife, MT, Fixed blade. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
For me any multitool comes after a fixed blade knife for hiking or similar. And already having a fixed blade the Vic Spirit with a serrated blade makes sense, or for less weight a 91mm or 84mm SAK. (For longer stays outside a foldable saw comes in handy too).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline BadMechanic

Just like my daily carry, I bring a few with me. My truck keys have a Classic SD plus a Surge and Squirt. Might swap out the squirt a Micra, in case I need a bigger pair of scissors.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
We love tools that for sure  :tu:.  Like Dave Caterbury we go tool heavy.  I've been looking back at what I've carried and the quality has increased however the quantity tends to remain the same.  Pocket knife, MT, Fixed blade.
:iagree: Was Gerber 600 but is now the Leatherman OHT because tools are more accessible!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club

came up as a Youtube recommendation.  He went to the island to live for 300 days with just a machete and what seems to be a Wenger 120 or 130mm.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%