Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?

Poll

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping, etc.?

HD pliers-based MT (LM Surge, LM-ST)
Full size pliers-based MT (LM Wave, Charge, Rebar, SwissTool, Gerber CD)
Medium size pliers-based MT (LM Juice, Vic Spirit, Gerber 400)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" pliers based MT (Gerber Dime, LM Squirt)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" scissors based MT (LM Micra)
130mm Swiss Army Knife
111mm SAK
93mm SAK
91mm SAK
84mm SAK
58mm SAK
Knife-based MT (Leatherman Free K series, Boker Tech-tool)
One Piece Multitool (Gerber Shard, EDC Card Tool)
Other

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
As an avid day hiker (2-3 times a week weather permitting) I usually have some kind of fixed blade on my hip, a SAK Walker in a pocket and a Wenger Evo-Grip 18 in the pack.. On person carries may vary some but the Wenger stays in my pack all the time!! :salute:
John
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

ro Offline Edi

For short walks in nice weather, the Rangergrip 55. Long blade, long saw, awl, corkscrew, can opener, flat head/prybar. Everything you need to start a fire or in the camp kitchen.

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
...not exactually a hiker but along our water front there are many clubs where I would use a Camper or Champ (who forgot the wine corkscrew!)  :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
For a day hike, an 84mm Climber Small in the pocket, and a Juice KF4 in the jacket or bag will do for me.

For anything more, I'll be picking from this lot.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
For a day hike, an 84mm Climber Small in the pocket, and a Juice KF4 in the jacket or bag will do for me.

(Image removed from quote.)

For anything more, I'll be picking from this lot.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice looking kits!  I really like your day hike kit.  :cheers:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Due to some active service injuries to my right foot resulting in my being 50% disabled, all my backpacking had to be ultralight. Every single once was cut. My knife was the regular little Vic classic on my keyring, and a Vic secretary that was my 'kitchen knife' as it were.

By the nature of my backpacking, I had everything I needed when I stepped of down the trail from my truck. Shelter, bedding, food. The heaviest use of my pocket knife was cutting the wax shell off the gouda or smoked Edam cheese I had along. Everything else was freeze dried or ready to eat like sough dough rolls, fruit bars, chocolate bars, and beef jerky. The tea, oatmeal and ramin just needed boiling water on my alcohol stove.

My little 58 and 74mm's worked well.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
My set-up has evolved a bit since I picked a 91mm as my SAK of choice for outdoor recreation. 

When I voted, I chose a 91mm alone because that was an addition to the one  I carried in town anyway.

After endlessly  :think: on his forum, I concluded that the reason I picked a second one was because of a saw.  I didn't really need much else.

So now ... I go with the PioneerX for a day hike (like today  :tu:) and add something for a saw when I go camping or backpacking.   That something is a Champion, Swisschamp, or Trekker. 

I have yet to decide which of those three I prefer...  I've used the Champion the most by far... The Swisschamp adds one layer of marginal benefit, but I just like it.  The Trekker is another nice one, but it's a bit of a one trick pony.  But it's really nice.

I've just been picking one based on whatever tickles my fancy at the time.

So...  For me the additional tool for the outdoors is a 91mm or a 111mm.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Nice looking kits!  I really like your day hike kit.  :cheers:

Thanks Eleven. I don't think I've ever needed the KF4 since I've been carrying it, but it's reassuring knowing it's there

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
I originally picked up a 111mm GAK for my hiking knife.  I carried it and found that I was only using the blade 99 percent of the time, for small tasks like opening food packets.  On a personal challenge, I left it behind and hiked a portion of the Appalachian Trail with my mighty Minichamp.  I came through unscathed, and the Minichamp covered everything I needed on my trail time.  Would that be the case every hike, every time?  Probably not, but I spent a week in the woods with just a Climber with similar results.  I'm on a big gear weight reduction plan, and it doesn't get a whole lot lighter than the Minichamp.  I do have that Rambler....
The next time I go out, I'm going to Chuck Yeager it with the Executive! 
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Due to some active service injuries to my right foot resulting in my being 50% disabled, all my backpacking had to be ultralight. Every single once was cut. My knife was the regular little Vic classic on my keyring, and a Vic secretary that was my 'kitchen knife' as it were.

By the nature of my backpacking, I had everything I needed when I stepped of down the trail from my truck. Shelter, bedding, food. The heaviest use of my pocket knife was cutting the wax shell off the gouda or smoked Edam cheese I had along. Everything else was freeze dried or ready to eat like sough dough rolls, fruit bars, chocolate bars, and beef jerky. The tea, oatmeal and ramin just needed boiling water on my alcohol stove.

My little 58 and 74mm's worked well.
Exactly!  I'm an old Infantryman, plus pushing 20 years of law enforcement packing a belt that keeps getting heavier.  My back appreciates every ounce that I don't have to carry.  In my latest love affair with Spyderco, that's another option.  Either way, it's surprising how little I really needed.  That's me and my experience, but each hike is different.
Barry

us Offline TonySal

To both of you a salute  :salute:
I'm 20 years USCG  but 0% service connected.(fortunately)
Hope you both will feel better best as you can.
Please consider joining the Legion or any organization by you. We and other vets need you!
 :salute:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Thanks Tony!  As you know, my son Noah is a Coastie and I'm very proud of him.  I'm actually the only non seagoing vet in the family!  I'm also a long time Legion member and I agree with you.  Our Legion actually sponsors the Boy Scout Troop where Noah got his Eagle Scout rank and my youngest, Zach, is about to.
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Thanks Tony!  As you know, my son Noah is a Coastie and I'm very proud of him.  I'm actually the only non seagoing vet in the family!  I'm also a long time Legion member and I agree with you.  Our Legion actually sponsors the Boy Scout Troop where Noah got his Eagle Scout rank and my youngest, Zach, is about to.
:salute:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
 :climber:

This just in!

I haven't watched the video yet but...

Felix Immler's latest clever trick involves hiding fishooks and line and suchlike inside the cellidor scales of a SAK.

That sounds like a great idea, if you ask me.  For the off chance that you'll need the "survival equipment" the likes of which comes in those gimmicky "survival knives"

If I'm in the sort of mess where I've resorted to fishing off the end of a branch, I'm ok with carelessly prying the scales off to get to the contents.

What could you keep in there?  Fishhook, line, water purification tab?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Fish hook and line!  Great idea! 
Barry

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
I have a friend that is section hiking the AT.. His choice of sharpness is a single edge razor blade.. That is all he has used for many yrs..
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
That's what I've been doing 39.  It's the only way I can knock out the miles at this stage of my life with work...a single blade will cover 99 percent of what you need out there. 
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Fish hook and line!  Great idea!
...he's a neat guy, a lot of fun and Very creative with our SAKs.
Storing small items in scales is interesting...but you really have to Know how to fish or those little hooks with a little line might not get you much of an emergency dinner... IMHO (yes we fish in the city)
  What other emergency items could be stowed there, jute or other tinder?
I keep a piece of jute under the Huntsman saw if I'm heading out....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:01:32 AM by TonySal »
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
...he's a neat guy, a lot of fun and Very creative with our SAKs.
Storing small items in scales is interesting...but you really have to Know how to fish or those little hooks with a little line might not get you much of an emergency dinner... IMHO (yes we fish in the city)
  What other emergency items could be stowed there, jute or other tinder?
I keep a piece of jute under the Huntsman saw if I'm heading out....

maybe come magnesium shavings?

us Offline mashguy4077

Mine is always the same everyday. Either my Victorinox Swisstool or Victorinox Spirit.  :multi:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
 :iagree:  After last month's challenge, my Swisstool has earned a permanent place in my belt!
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
:iagree:  After last month's challenge, my Swisstool has earned a permanent place in my belt!

:like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Let me revise that after some pretty rugged hiking the other day :rofl:. The Swisstool is the tool of choice for camping; the Classic/Executive is my hiking knife SAK wise.  Weight means everything for me! :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
HAHA.  The miles add up or the terrain is harsh or both.  Best to keep it light plus those are great options in their own right. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
This last one was straight up to an overlook, on a pipeline clear-cut my friend.  Every ounce counts anymore :D
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Let me revise that after some pretty rugged hiking the other day :rofl:. The Swisstool is the tool of choice for camping; the Classic/Executive is my hiking knife SAK wise.  Weight means everything for me! :facepalm:

I'd really have thought that weight would be more of an issue for all of us, but seeing as how a full size MT is more popular than any other size -  :think:

Is it that most people bring a full size MT for camping, and something else for hiking or backpacking?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
I used to carry the same thing for both, but mileage on my body has dictated to me that I have to hike with the minimum amount of weight on me that I can carry and still have my bases covered.  I was like everyone else in that the bigger my pack the more I carried.  For me that just doesn't work anymore.  I found that 90 percent of the time, I only used the knife blade anyways, and the tiny Vic's are the sharpest game in town.  This is coming from one of the biggest fans of Spyderco and Opinel there is :D
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
The thread title did give us some variables.  Camping can be drive to location or drive to location THEN hike to campsite.  In the first scenario I go heavy just because I can have a play with lots of options.  In the second scenario I dont go quite as big but I still bring a MT. 

Hiking also brings variables to play.  If I car camp then venture out to hike I'll bring one set up.  If I am hiking from scenario 2 from above then my set up will be lighter. 

Now if I am hiking with no camping involved then theres a few scenarios. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
The thread title did give us some variables.  Camping can be drive to location or drive to location THEN hike to campsite.  In the first scenario I go heavy just because I can have a play with lots of options.  In the second scenario I dont go quite as big but I still bring a MT. 

Hiking also brings variables to play.  If I car camp then venture out to hike I'll bring one set up.  If I am hiking from scenario 2 from above then my set up will be lighter. 

Now if I am hiking with no camping involved then theres a few scenarios.

Would that mean, though, that you carry multiple tools in your setup? Is there a relatively constant multitool in those variables in each scenario, or across scenarios?

Accepting that scenarios and ideas change (My ideas have changed and been influenced just as a result of hanging out on MTo for a few months)

If I'm camping close to the car, I might bring a camp hatchet. But close to the car or not - if I'm camping I've got a sturdy/heavy lockback in the pack, and a lightweight lockback in the pack as backup.  :facepalm:  Depending of what I'm doing it might go in the pocket for the day.  I also pocket carry a 93mm SAKs that I would EDC in town anyway.  (15+ years ago it was the OG Wave).  When I take an airline flight to some other part of the US to go camping, I'll have a couple of tools in my check-in luggage. What's been constantly added for camping in all those scenarios has been a Swisschamp or Champion - for the saw, magnifying lens, and just all-around fun.  I dare say I could go with one of those 7-8 layer 91mm SAKs and need nothing else if I was pressed to choose just one. 

When I'm hiking I've almost always just got a 93mm in my pocket... in the past, the Champion - both before I got a 93mm, and once recently when I planned to make a small fire for some lunch on the trail.  Regardless of the starting point, I'll leave the lockbacks and the 111mm SAK behind.  So for hiking, my nod goes to a 93mm.

But wait - leave the 111mm SAK behind?  What was it doing skulking in the shadows in the first place?  If I'm honest - I have left it out of my camping loadout because I'd have no use for a larger knife and also the saw on the 91mm.  It's not with me while hiking since I don't anticipate needing a saw or screwdriver.  Maybe one day I'll "challenge" myself to using just the Trekker for a camping trip, but what's the fun in that?  One day I will...

Then my next question is - What in the blazes did you all do before Leatherman was invented?  For me it was a Buck 55 knockoff, because I wasn't yet a "fan" of MTs even though I had a couple of SAKs. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%