Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping, etc.?

HD pliers-based MT (LM Surge, LM-ST)
Full size pliers-based MT (LM Wave, Charge, Rebar, SwissTool, Gerber CD)
Medium size pliers-based MT (LM Juice, Vic Spirit, Gerber 400)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" pliers based MT (Gerber Dime, LM Squirt)
Small, key-fob size, "butterfly opening" scissors based MT (LM Micra)
130mm Swiss Army Knife
111mm SAK
93mm SAK
91mm SAK
84mm SAK
58mm SAK
Knife-based MT (Leatherman Free K series, Boker Tech-tool)
One Piece Multitool (Gerber Shard, EDC Card Tool)
Other

What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping? 2831

No Life Club Posts: 1,391
Re: What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »
I have a friend that is section hiking the AT.. His choice of sharpness is a single edge razor blade.. That is all he has used for many yrs..

I have a friend who has used nothing but a disposable breakaway utility razor for many decades.  Everything from fishing to food prep. 
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,537
Re: What is your Multitool of choice when hiking, backpacking, tramping, camping?
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2020, 07:40:56 PM »
Car camping.  We pack heavy since we have the car available to us.  I pack a hatchet and folding saw to break down logs we get for our fires.  We buy wood that is not always suitable for starting fires.  We can pay more for that buy why  ;)

I always put a fixed blade on my belt.  Fun and why not?  I also bring two food knives.  Yeah I could and do use my belt knife but I have the luxury of a camp kitchen ( coolers, tables, etc ) so why not.  I bring a few bushcraft knives to have some fun.  I also bring a whittling/carving set.  I have brought a "chopper" and will bring my new to me BK2 just to bash on it.  I also bring a couple MTs.  Usually my Surge and Swisstool. 

I dont have a picture of my folding saw or hatchet sorry.  This is a sample of what I might bring car camping.  I have others that I might bring since I have the luxury of the car. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »
Hiking.  Driving to a location ( trail head ) to do an out and back full day or hike out, camp and return .  Fixed blade, MT, locking folder, SAK.  I also have a 58mm in my 1st kit.  I don't worry so much about weight at this time.  I'm sure down the road I will.   

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2020, 07:55:40 PM »
Hiking when no camping is planned on, half day trip.  I use a smaller pack and have a fixed blade, MT, SAK, locking folder.  I also have a 58mm in my 1st aid kit.     

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2020, 08:00:17 PM »
Little jaunt around locally no driving or short drive.  Typically a couple hours or less.  I may take a small fixed blade like a necker, CRKT Minimalist or Civet.  I always bring a SAK and MT.   

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
So I do have a bit of a theme. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2020, 09:31:32 PM »
Little jaunt around locally no driving or short drive.  Typically a couple hours or less.  I may take a small fixed blade like a necker, CRKT Minimalist or Civet.  I always bring a SAK and MT.   

:salute: :salute:

This here - my good man - is exactly what I expected one of you fine scholars to suggest. I'm surprised that the Juice wasn't more popular among outdoor folk who want pliers.  It seemed like a user-friendly lineup that's great for the outdoors... and probably works well paired up with a fixed blade or more substantial sort of knife.  I suppose that marketing was weak for the Juice.  The price had always been a sticking point for me, and I just don't see myself starting to use pliers in the outdoors again. 
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2020, 09:36:40 PM »
So I do have a bit of a theme.

:like: all of them

each one seems is well constructed ... 
light weight when you need it, smaller MTs paired with sturdy blades, and bigger MTs when you don't have to worry about weight. 
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,950
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2020, 10:11:37 PM »
The Juice is a fine MT plier, knife, and on the S2 scissors wise.  I've not had a problem within the realistic capacity for this size tool.  What most are not stoked about are the drivers ( flat ) as they can bite when getting the out.  The drivers over all are usable and work every time I've needed them.  They are short but its a small tool.

I don't know if I NEED pliers but I sure dont mind carrying them.   

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2020, 10:20:16 PM »
I carry a Pulse for work, and think it might work perfectly for hiking.  Not heavy, great blade and scissors, and all the accessories. 

Barry
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2020, 10:25:42 PM »
My partner loves her CS4 so I decided to carry mine.  Over all I like it and was impressed enough to use my S2 for my flea market bag.  Its been a great tool that has helped me understand it better. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2020, 09:17:17 PM »
I've been reading a lot of blogs about thru-hiking, and it seems like the 58mm Vx Classic is the most common in those circles. 

To me, that almost seems too small to be useful or necessary - unless all you're doing with it is grooming.

What's the experience or word on the street say? 
Hero Member Posts: 860
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2020, 09:54:42 PM »
I used to say Signal back in a day. Worked more or less on my last hike.

If I’m about to make an ascent- Forester did a great job without being too heavy.

If it’s just camping or trekking - now I’m sure I’ll go with a Work Champ if I won’t need good pliers for lifting pans off the fire.

I love those blades and saws on 111mm SAKs - they really work for me, probably that’s why

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.
No Life Club Posts: 3,523 join The American Legion Family - since 1919
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2020, 02:55:53 AM »
I've been reading a lot of blogs about thru-hiking, and it seems like the 58mm Vx Classic is the most common in those circles. 

To me, that almost seems too small to be useful or necessary - unless all you're doing with it is grooming.

What's the experience or word on the street say?
I understand Col Chuck Yeager hiked the Sierras with just an Executive?

join The American Legion Family
Service to America since 1919
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2020, 03:04:24 AM »
I've hiked with the Classic a good bit, and can only remember needing more one time.  That time, my son and I needed to cut wood for a campfire.  His Hiker saved the day.  Yes, General Yeager hiked in the big mountains with only an Executive.  Truthfully, 90 percent of what I needed a knife for was cutting open a snack, or scissors for some foot hygiene.

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 4,722 I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2020, 10:41:11 AM »
Wow, really is a "depends" type question.

I like my Hercules as a "camp knife" but it's a little big to pocket. My Wave mkII or Swisstool will also come along camping and the Wave isn't too bad in its pouch on my belt with the advantage of stowage for a AAA flashlight in there too.

Bikepacking/Bike touring where weight is a big factor I have taken a Farmer and a LM Fuse, This gives me all the tools I want with not too many double-ups and is a reasonably light loadout.

I guess I could cut that down if I was a complete weight weenie by making it a Camper and a MP400 or even a Huntsman and a MiniTool.

No Life Club Posts: 1,468
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2020, 06:42:10 PM »
Many folks hiking the AT or otherwise following modern "Leave No Trace" principles aren't making fires, except possibly in the (limited) designated fireplaces.  They are using backpacking stoves and or ready-to-eat food, and plan the combination of clothing, location, and time of year so that they don't need a fire for warmth.  They are already carrying what they perceive to be adequate shelter, so they won't need to build one.  Ultimately, as Barry suggests, all they're likely to need is a small knife for opening food packages.  Scissors (and tweezers) are appreciated for medical and personal grooming needs. Particularly for those trying to cover many miles day after day, ounces count.  The Classic fits the bill nicely.

Personally, at this point in my journey, I'm just not comfortable with anything smaller than a 91mm SAK (plus my backup Alox Bantam), but perhaps I'm paranoid or simply insufficiently enlightened.
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2020, 09:00:54 PM »
Not at all Nate!  There's nothing wrong with carrying what works for you.  I might actually be underequipped to be honest. 

Barry
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2020, 06:29:46 AM »
Its about getting out and having fun.  If the tools you carry are burdensome then carry ones that aren't or dont carry any.  Its all about getting out and enjoying the great outdoors.  I enjoy my tools and down the road I may carry smaller, or less, or not at all, but for now its fun so I'll continue to carry fun things. 

Esse Quam Videri
Newbie Posts: 33
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2020, 06:37:12 PM »
About Vic Classics on outdoor scenarios...: Posted about this on that other thread too ... I can't help but be surprised that Leathies such as the Style CS and PS are not being mentioned nor voted upon. I personally will not carry "just" a Classic or just a Style ( if i were to carry just one it would be a 111mm with a saw) but if truly  I really need to go that far on minimalism the Style CS trumps over a Vic Classic anytime. I truly, honestly cannot understand why one would choose a Classic, they are so flimsy and the blade doesn't hold edge for long in my experience. Read though that some peeps have have had QC issues with their Styles and that's why they prefer Classics but I dunno, both my Styles CS and PS have worked fine for me so far.

What's your experience in this sense? Anybody else can enlighten me why the Styles do not figure more prominently on this poll and thread? This is coming from a Victorinox fanboi mind you... man I love my Vickies, I have quadruple the amount of Vickies over Leathies, but even in my fanboism and loyalty to Victorinox I cannot get myself to like Classics nor to fathom why people would prefer those over other choices.

VICKIES I own:
CLASSICS: Techno ( lost it ) , Edelweiss Green &  Black Alox
91MMs: Cybertool Lite ( My #1 fav EDC) , SoftTouch Climber RT, SoftTouch Desert Digital Camo Huntsman & StayGlow Spartan Lite.
111MMs AND BEYOND: One Handed Forester MWC ( My #4 fav EDC), Soldier 2008, Master RT, Hunter XS, TrailMaster MWC Desert, Rescue Tool Swisstool Spirit ( My # 2 fav EDC ) & Hunter Pro Alox Red.

LEATHIES I own:
Crunch ( My # 3 fav EDC) , Signal, Style CS & Style PS.
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2020, 01:45:16 AM »
About Vic Classics on outdoor scenarios...: Posted about this on that other thread too ... I can't help but be surprised that Leathies such as the Style CS and PS are not being mentioned nor voted upon. I personally will not carry "just" a Classic or just a Style ( if i were to carry just one it would be a 111mm with a saw) but if truly  I really need to go that far on minimalism the Style CS trumps over a Vic Classic anytime. I truly, honestly cannot understand why one would choose a Classic, they are so flimsy and the blade doesn't hold edge for long in my experience. Read though that some peeps have have had QC issues with their Styles and that's why they prefer Classics but I dunno, both my Styles CS and PS have worked fine for me so far.

What's your experience in this sense? Anybody else can enlighten me why the Styles do not figure more prominently on this poll and thread? This is coming from a Victorinox fanboi mind you... man I love my Vickies, I have quadruple the amount of Vickies over Leathies, but even in my fanboism and loyalty to Victorinox I cannot get myself to like Classics nor to fathom why people would prefer those over other choices.

Good observation - the Style would be in the Squirt/Micra category, and it has almost no picks on the survey.   I'm a Vic fanatic, and if I had to choose a Classic or a Micra for this sort of operation, I'd probably go with the Micra, much to my own chagrin.  Or maybe a MiniChamp. 
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2020, 02:42:26 AM »
Micra would definitely work.  I carried the mighty Minichamp on many a trail mile :D

Barry
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2020, 06:45:14 AM »

For one thing, Vic quality tends to be a cut above LM in my experience.

For another, the Style PS lacks any knife blade and has only a "meh" pair of scissors.  This makes it great for air travel or other areas where blades are prohibited, and perhaps OK as a companion to another knife/tool, but otherwise not a good choice for a stand-alone tool.

Finally, the function-to-weight ratio of the Style CS simply isn't very good.  At 1.4 oz, it is twice the weight of the 0.7-ounce Classic.  This actually puts it in the same weight class as some Vics that would beat the Style CS hands down IMO, including the Mini-champ (1.6 oz; 1.4 oz for alox version), the Bantam (1.2 oz; 1.0 oz for alox version), the Ambassador (1.2 oz), the Executive (1.6 oz), and the Walker (1.6 oz).
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2020, 06:57:30 AM »
Not at all Nate!  There's nothing wrong with carrying what works for you.  I might actually be underequipped to be honest.

No worries; I'm not losing any sleep over it, just doing what I'm comfortable with.  It's definitely a continuum though; on one end is "Carry only what you absolutely need", "Carry the bare minimum to get by", etc., which obviously leads to the lightest load.  On the other end is "Be prepared for anything", "Have backups", etc., which obviously leads to carrying significantly more weight.  We all have to figure out where we want to be on that continuum, and this may change with circumstances and time.

I once discussed this issue with a friend of mine, who is a very experienced hiker and camper (though not a knife guy).  I don't think he has it paired down to a Classic, but he noted that he doesn't carry anything more than a simple pocketknife or scout-type knife in the woods.  When I asked him why he didn't carry anything more substantial, he simply shrugged and said, "I've never needed anything more, and don't want to carry the weight."
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »
That sums it up for me.

Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $23.00
PayPal Fees: $1.77
Net Balance: $21.23