Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multi tool pocket clips

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Multi tool pocket clips
on: December 23, 2019, 04:10:47 AM
Until I recently I've never owned any multi tool that has pocket clip.  After helping a buddy, I was given a Leatherman Rev and while the tool itself is alright for what I use it for, I'd say the pocket clip (and package opener) are the best aspects of this unit.

Only one or two Gerber multi tools have pocket clips, but unfortunately they aren't the domestic variations.   Generally I keep my multi tools in their sheaths, but I can see the advantage. 

Curious what other's thoughts are about multi tool pocket clips.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Multi tool pocket clips
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 04:16:28 AM
I sheath carry for work but a pocket clip is always very much appreciated otherwise :salute: The Wave/Charge/Surges all have a removable pocket clip that is attached with the lock tabs and works very well :tu: Plenty of LM have clips and I like them all, wished all MTs had a clip option :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 05:46:47 AM
I prefer sheath carry myself but they are a nice option to have on a MT.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 07:12:10 AM
I usually carry mine in my pocket organizer which I carry in a cargo pocket.  The organizer also has a belt loop for if I wanted to carry it on the belt.

I have tried attaching the Nite Ize HipClip to a couple tools that didn’t have clips.  It works pretty well if you want a pocket clip.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 01:57:40 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 02:14:30 PM
I'm also a sheath carrier.  I have the pocket clip for the Wave/Charge/Surge which is not bad at all.  I have carried both Wave/Charge with pocket clip but my preference is sheath carry.  The Surge IMO is best carried by sheath.  My favorite tool to carry with pocket clip is my Skeletool CX.  This tool is a great tool to carry in pocket. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 03:40:58 PM
I usually carry mine in my pocket organizer which I carry in a cargo pocket.  The organizer also has a belt loop for if I wanted to carry it on the belt.

(Image removed from quote.)

I have tried attaching the Nite Ize HipClip to a couple tools that didn’t have clips.  It works pretty well if you want a pocket clip.
Very nice  :like: :cheers:

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 04:35:57 PM
I picked up several pocket hanger clip + micro spring clip from DX.com (Hong Kong) and use them on my pocket carry SAKs & MTs. The micro spring clip lets me swap them on/off to the split rings and the small pocket hanger drops the tool in my right front pocket next to my wallet.

Works great with 91mm sized tools and very discreet.

Here it is with today's carry, LM Micra.
MT Pocket Clip.jpg
* MT Pocket Clip.jpg (Filesize: 29.5 KB)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 05:19:30 PM by n4vgm »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 04:39:44 AM
The pocket dangler/suspension clips are always a great alternative to regular MT clips :tu: I have several of them and use them on a variety of different EDC items, small lights, SAKs and smaller MTs :salute: :like:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 02:25:50 AM
Just wish there was a genuine Gerber multi tool representative that  occasionally visited this specific site as I'd respectfully like Gerber to consider the idea of a pocket clip on any of their domestically made  multi tools.  If their engineers can figure out the machining and tooling information, I'd speculate that adding a pocket clip is possible.

us Offline MTFool

Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 03:16:11 PM
  :iagree:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 03:24:42 PM
You could always DIY. I did :)

Charles.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 05:00:08 PM
Great!  :like: :tu:

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 05:29:00 PM
NICE Work CC!  :hatsoff:

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 06:38:17 PM
Thanks! They're titanium pocket clips for Zero Tolerance knives. About $23-$26 each. Though, I've found a less attractive black pocket clip that is only $10, plus it comes with a knife you can then sell or give away. It mounts the same way. Drill, tap, turn down screw heads to fit through opening, blue locktite. The stainless is tough, so each tap is only good for three or four holes before it's completely buggered. And because it's so difficult to tap through, I have to use larger screws with larger threads, and then turn the heads down. I even have to open up the holes in the clips a little. It's pretty involved, but worth it to make these tools EDC-able.

This is something Gerber should be doing already. With this mod, I can grab my MP600 clipped inside my pocket and flick it open while wearing welding gloves. Usually I move the torch to my left hand, get my MP600, cut off the too-long MIG wire, and put the pliers back in my pocket, all without having to remove my welding gloves. The other alternative is to leave the tool on the welding table, easily accessible, but I find the tool always ends up with spatter (little balls of molten metal) on it, when it's left in an accessible place. This way it stays protected in my pocket until needed.  No other tool gives me that accessibility and ease of carry and deployment. Without a pocket clip, I'd be carrying Leatherman or SOG tools, and lamenting having to use two hands to do everything.

Charles.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 04:18:08 AM
Would be interested in how you made that modification.  This would be an awesome addition to any Gerber MP600, Pro Scout and other multi tools I am sure.  Kai Industries owns Kershaw and Zero Tolerance, pretty decent knives.    Thank you for sharing this information.

If anyone is interested, I found a source for Zero Tolerance titanium pocket clips. 

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 05:00:07 AM
Basically I use either 3mm or 4-40 screws. I’ve tried both and the 4-40 is the minimum size that can be used. I prefer 3mm but it is a lot harder to find quality taps in that size. So I’m using 4-40 mostly.

I purchased tungsten carbide tipped micro drill bits from amazon.

These: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KMDC33W

They are brittle and easily break. So be careful.

First I drill out the holes in the clip.
Then I place the clip on the frame where I want it, And move the tool around on the drill press until the drill is lined up with the hole. Then I clamp it down.

I drill the first hole, and then tap it. Use a fresh new Irwin tap. Put the tap in the drill press so it remains square. Nothing on the drill press has moved since drilling, so it’s all still perfectly lined up. Tap by hand until all the way through. Use plenty of cutting lube. Back it out carefully.

Then I take the first screw, clamp the threads in the drill chuck, and then spin the drill press as fast as it will go. I hold a file against the screw to slowly turn the diameter down. I use Allen screws and there is plenty of meat there. This is necessary because the screw heads don’t fit through the hole in the clip.

Once the screw fits through, I mount the clip with one screw. I tighten it pretty good, and get the angle perfect. Then I unclamp the multitool from the drill press base, and line it up again to the second hole. I clamp it again and drill through the frame again. Then I rotate the clip aside, and tap the hole with the tool still clamped. I again use the drill chuck to hold the tap, and turn the chuck by hand to tap the hole.

Now that it’s drilled and tapped, I mount it. The screws protrude on the inside of the frame, so I take a dremel with a reinforced cutting wheel and cut the screws flush with the inside of the frame.

Then I unscrew the screws one last time, add blue locktite, and screw them in tightly. Then wash it, the cutting oil causes the dremeled dust to adhere to everything. Wash it with soap and water, then dry with compressed air.

Note that the tools are never removed, they’re just opened. If the tools are removed the frame isn’t rigid enough to be clamped to the drill press bed.

Charles.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 05:33:46 AM
 Thank you very much for that information.  Now anyone that has the time and the tools will hopefully have another alternative to merely pocket carry and sheaths.   Grainger, Zoro are great resources for taps, dies and other products.   

Amazing how useful pocket clips can be.

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 06:55:44 AM
Note that if you don’t want to spend the money on the titanium clips, you can search eBay for a “buckshot 8 inch tactical pocket knife with belt clip”

The knife has a clip which fits nicely and is stainless steel plated black, and only cost $10. I remove the clip and resell the knife for $5. Or sometimes I just give it away. It’s a decent blade, actually; but weirdly shaped and nothing special either.

A pic of the buckshot clip is attached below.

Charles.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 01:04:48 PM
I put clips on everything!

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 02:18:48 PM
And I just saw this on Reddit…

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 04:40:47 PM
Note that if you don’t want to spend the money on the titanium clips, you can search eBay for a “buckshot 8 inch tactical pocket knife with belt clip”

The knife has a clip which fits nicely and is stainless steel plated black, and only cost $10. I remove the clip and resell the knife for $5. Or sometimes I just give it away. It’s a decent blade, actually; but weirdly shaped and nothing special either.

A pic of the buckshot clip is attached below.

Charles.
Cool looking two tone  :like:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2019, 04:41:17 PM

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2019, 05:52:28 PM

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #25 on: December 27, 2019, 07:44:10 PM
Just so others that have other buying options, the SwissQlip is also available from a distributor named Stat Gear.

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 28, 2019, 11:30:57 PM
I just got mine from amazon today... and it doesn’t fit the knife I bought it for!! It’s a re-scaled Marlboro troubleshooter, and the keychain loop is a slightly different shape and position. I mounted it to one of my other victorinox knives, but I’m a little bummed. The troubleshooter is almost the perfect SAK for me.

Charles.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #27 on: December 28, 2019, 11:36:00 PM
For $25 plus tax and shipping, I'd be disappointed as well.   My question is why hasn't Gerber (Fiskars rather) added a pocket clip option for the MP600, MP400 MP800, Center Drive series or Diesel?   Despite owning all of these, I'd gladly buy another if this had a pocket clip.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%