Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best cordless power tool system?

Offline Scorpion Regent

Best cordless power tool system?
on: December 21, 2019, 04:27:29 PM
It's only a matter of time before I get a cordless power tool.  If I get one, it will be inevitable that I will get more.  I don't like having a lot of extra chargers taking up space complicating things so I'm going to be buying into system.
Does any one out there have a opinion on what system is the best and why? 

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Best cordless power tool system?
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 11:34:06 AM
It's only a matter of time before I get a cordless power tool.  If I get one, it will be inevitable that I will get more.  I don't like having a lot of extra chargers taking up space complicating things so I'm going to be buying into system.
Does any one out there have a opinion on what system is the best and why?

It depends on how much you intend to use the tools.  Considering you don't already have one I'm guessing you won't need heavy duty, pro-rated tools (which are usually 18V). 

I'm very happy with my Milwaukee 12V cordless tools.  I suggest you get the "Fuel" versions where you can, as they have the more efficient brushless motors, also get some 4.0 or 6.0Ah batteries if you want maximum grunt (eg 1/2 drive impact driver is very impressive).  The smaller batteries are lighter and more compact, but they can't supply the current & runtime the bigger batteries can.  I've read some bad reviews on the non-genuine batteries, so even though they are much cheaper I've stuck with the genuine ones. 
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 12:25:29 PM
I've very happy with my Milwaukee 18v Fuel drill and impact driver.  Though I'm also very happy with my Rigid tools which cost less, and have a lifetime warranty.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 01:30:49 PM
Thank you both for replying. 
I am between jobs right now.  When I go back to work I will be using tools daily to earn a living.  So pro rated is very likely what I will get.  A lifetime warranty is all well and good, until you discover you have a lifetime supply of cheap tools.  I want something I can count on because when a tool fails time is lost and that's money.  I have been getting buy using corded and air tools so far.  I only have one cordless tool that will eventually fail, it's replacement will be part of the integrated system.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 11:56:22 PM
There are many brands out there, and I have just tried a few. And even within those few there are quality differences - the drills might be great, but the grinder not so much and so on. Personally I settled on Bosch blue series. Most have survived admirably, and the system got a wide variety of tools, so I've stuck with them. (Bosch blue stationary tools have some mixed feedback though which is also my experience - as opposed to their hand held power tools which are generally very good).

Not some ultimate answer, just my choice and experience.

Edit: The why I landed at that: At some work I had long ago they bought all kinds of stuff from all kinds of brands. No real plan or anything they just bought the closest thing at hand as the need came up or some old tool failed. And this was a hostile wet, salty and dirty environment for tools so a lot of them did die - in fact they had a separate bin just for power tools. After I while I noticed that most of the tools still in circulation were blue, and that there were few of them in the bin. The blue ones were blue Bosch and Makita. Of those, since I liked a few of the Bosch ones, it was Bosch for me later.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:05:38 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 01:47:41 AM

I bought into the milwaukee system a while back, and have few complaints over the years.  And I learned the hard way to stick with OEM batteries!
That said, my second choice was bosch.  You can find people with good and bad feelings for all the colors, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of the above.
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 03:28:45 PM
After years of frustration with DeWilt, I changed to Bosch Professional, pick a voltage and away you go. The plus point is that even with the oldest tool I could still get replacement batteries for it.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 06:01:20 PM
I highly recommend ryobi 18 volt one+ , i have many tools and 13 batteries and have had no problem with medium use. Im a plumber on the weekends and the tools have worked very well for me i have a drain auger, drill, sawzall, multiple lights and air pumps and my favorite is my 3 gallon wet dry vac, but honestly it really depends on what your using them for, pro use, around the house, what have you. but as far as number of available tools go im pretty sure they have the biggest selection, however i may be wrong
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:19 PM
There's as many opinions on power tools as there are brands that make them.

https://fein.com/en_au/ is as good an option as any, if for some reason you want to go German.

In practice I can't actually detect any difference between American, Japanese or German power tools. All the quality brands are fine.

I've never used Festool, they seem to have their own section of the store, with a red velvet rope and a serious looking fellow with dark sunnies keeping an eye on them. For the price tags on them, I assume they measure, do the job, clean themselves, take the dog for a walk, and order tea as well.

Offline rapidtool

• New User
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 11:50:37 AM
Hello,
If you are looking for cordless power tools then you should go for following useful tools:
1-rebar cutter
2-rebar bender
3-rebar tier
4-rebar tie gun
These tools will help you reduce both workload and time. Good luck with it!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 01:26:17 PM
Maybe if you need to work with Rebar but........

Hello,
If you are looking for cordless power tools then you should go for following useful tools:
1-rebar cutter
2-rebar bender
3-rebar tier
4-rebar tie gun
These tools will help you reduce both workload and time. Good luck with it!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 07:30:15 PM
Okay, I'll participate in this zombie thread.    :salute: :salute:

Over the past few years I have transitioned as much as possible from gas engine tools to Dewalt battery tools - chain saw, leaf blower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, etc.  Nothing from me but thumbs up for price, performance and reliability. 

Offline Bigshep

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 03:39:46 AM
I LOVE my Kobalt. I recommend them from chainsaws to sanders.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%