Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modifying multipliers

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Modifying multipliers
on: November 29, 2019, 06:59:38 AM
Found this video today and while this was interesting to see how you remove attachments from a Gerber MP600 and MP650, if this had taken two individuals that seem to be more adept to multi tool this long, this is why I'd be skeptical at best about modifying any of my multi tools.  Especially those I use for EDC.   This is a long video, but fairly interesting video none the less.

Title of the Youtube video is named Hacking a Geber Multi tool. 

While this task itself doesn't seem to be that challenging, this does appear you need to have patience, follow an order of operations and need to have some precision in doing so.  That said, I now can see why Gerber does not sell individual parts as  I am willing to bet this may or may not violate the 25 year warranty.  Along with liability issues as well. 

Modifying a Spanner drive screwdriver might also work instead of the tool he used, but I am willing to bet that was a custom made tool as well. 

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: Modifying multipliers
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 04:53:09 PM
Hi CC, and welcome! I find the Gerbers (MP's in particular) are some of the easiest mt's to modify; do not be intimidated by that video! What I'll call as the only precaution of is to be aware of the position (and width) of the anti clumping spacers/washers between tools.

This is what I did for a removal tool: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52129.msg1992985.html#msg1992985

You can also write a PM to loki (forum member/enthusiast/ et. Al) for his fabulous wrenches or, use an empty, female end pliers handle modified as a wrench.

Happy moddin'! :tu:

Edit- it is my understanding that the tool they used is an adjustable pin spanner used for lens removal (don't remember for what kind of lenses though).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:03:33 PM by Juan el Boricua »

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 05:03:17 PM
Thank you very much for the welcoming response. Wasn't sure which section this belonged to, as this was merely a general video and there wasn't any major modifications.  Definitely I can see how if you do decide to modify your multi tool, you want to make sure you have plenty of time to do so and more importantly, patience.   If I have any questions, I appreciate knowing there is someone that understands this subject. 

Thank you for the link, I figured the spanner drive or perhaps even the slotted drive would work.  Not sure I'll ever modify any of my existing Geber multi tools, but it's nice to know this is possible.    Hopefully some day Gerber produces a Portland Oregan sourced multi tool with a pocket clip. 

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 12:13:14 PM
Juan is correct... I too find Gerber MPs very easy to mod... All you need is just a single angled pliers similar to whats pictured below...

Way cheaper than the spanners used in the vid... I too watched the vid before I did my mods...

As long as your careful enough to remove the tools in order, assembly is pretty much straight forward...

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 02:47:09 AM
i use pinchers from poundland.
download.jpeg
* download.jpeg (Filesize: 57.04 KB)

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 06:33:33 PM
With the right tools and patience, I can see how this would be a relatively easy task.  Thank you for the information.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 11:46:59 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41