Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MTO Unleashed! 32521

Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,850 Born to multitask.
Re: MTO Unleashed!
« Reply #2670 on: June 30, 2020, 01:22:33 PM »
This was a lot of fun to follow. Tons of great pics, and stuff I had never seen before! :like:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,179
« Reply #2671 on: June 30, 2020, 01:42:01 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your beautiful, at times baffling but always interesting blades and great stories - a special thank you to Comis for organising this challenge- I’ve learned a lot, and I’ve been amazed at the variety! Well, here we are:

Day 30

Today’s companions are the two knives I’ve had the longest, my first knife a SAK, the Victorinox Master Craftsman/Astronaut which I bought with my first proper pay packet at 16 from Tesco - hard to believe these days, but it was my constant companion at school where no-one turned a hair as a penknife was seen as a tool not a weapon as seems to be the case these days! The Philips came in handy on my cycle rides fixing bits on my hack bike which was forced to do more miles than it was ever designed for, and the SAK was superior to so-called cycle multi-tools of the day which were little more that stamped sheets of steel which were generally not fit for use no matter which slot you tried, always hitting other parts around them due to the awkward shape, or failing to allow you exert sufficient pressure to tighten anything up - modern cycle multi-tools are a vast improvement, but back then a small adjustable spinner and my Vic got me out of many a pickle! The other knife is the Compact I acquired before heading overseas for work in 1991 when I needed something slightly smaller in my suit pocket - again extremely useful I never had a problem carrying it on a plane - different story nowadays, eh!? They’ve both survived surprisingly well, though the Compact did have its scissors repaired by Victorinox a while ago, and I’ve treated them both to new sets of coloured plus scales since reading about them on this forum, when I’ve also acquired many more SAKs...... Had the Yeoman been available in 1991, I would have been tempted, but I don’t believe they were available in the UK.

Thanks again everyone for providing such a great read and visual treat - I shall be intrigued to see what appears today! :cheers: :cheers:

I remember those bike kits provided in a plastic case to be strapped under the saddle.

I like the green translucent scales on your Yeoman  :like:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 55,486
« Reply #2672 on: June 30, 2020, 01:43:15 PM »

:facepalm:  Thanks for the reply, should be more clear on that, yes, indeed.  I remember reading about working with G10/Carbon Fiber, and some would even recommend specialized ventilation system for safety reason. 

I am not too familiar with the graphite spray, it sounds really promising, but just curious whether special care is needed to work the spray.

Not really, same as any aerosol.
No Life Club Posts: 3,975
« Reply #2673 on: June 30, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »
Did you have that "Lightning" engraved?  :D

Yeah, I like to bling up my toys.

« Reply #2674 on: June 30, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
Day 30

(Image removed from quote.)

Today is SAK Mountaineer, which is one of my most trusted EDC knife/tool for years.  It travels with me to some of the most remote or busiest places on earth, and it has always been universally accepted as a friendly harmless tool. :climber:

I would like to use this opportunity to thank each of one of you whom have taken the time to participate in this challenge, thank you, thank you, and thank you!   :like:

You folks are what made this a great challenge, and this forum an awesome place to dwell! :2tu: :cheers:

Thanks for having us Comis  :hatsoff:  :cheers:

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #2675 on: June 30, 2020, 01:47:06 PM »
Day 30

Between being two-layer Tuesday and Rizio’s compact, I thought I would post my custom Compact from Rain.Z Knives.  The main toolset is that of a Compact.  The backside tools were changed to the phillips and an awl.  The scales are not plus scales, but they are a textured titanium that is nice and grippy.  This was my primary user SAK until I got my hands on a Yeoman.

That is an awesome piece... should be the perfect EDC  :like:

Formerly known as MTMatt
No Life Club Posts: 2,625
« Reply #2676 on: June 30, 2020, 02:15:49 PM »
Day 30

Between being two-layer Tuesday and Rizio’s compact, I thought I would post my custom Compact from Rain.Z Knives.  The main toolset is that of a Compact.  The backside tools were changed to the phillips and an awl.  The scales are not plus scales, but they are a textured titanium that is nice and grippy.  This was my primary user SAK until I got my hands on a Yeoman.

Now that it is nice, titanium too!! :drool:
No Life Club Posts: 1,944

Ivo be

« Reply #2677 on: June 30, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »
DAY 30

2 machetes to end with  :hatsoff:

The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"
No Life Club Posts: 1,944

Ivo be

« Reply #2678 on: June 30, 2020, 03:24:12 PM »
It was very fun to do comis, I liked it very much, thanks. :hatsoff:
Is there already a badge for this challenge ?

The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,269
« Reply #2679 on: June 30, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »
Fuzzbucket Day 30 - Final

The one that started it all - my father's Pruner, the knife he always carried and the first pocket knife I ever saw or encountered. After many years of constant use, he eventually passed it on to my brother, being the oldest of the two of us, but they've both gone now, so it's defaulted down to me.

The stag handle is incredibly smooth and warm to the touch, and all the pins are exposed from decades of use. The brass pommel has lots of tiny indentations from when it was frequently used as a hammer, which is something I fondly remember him doing a lot, especially at Christmas time putting up the decorations. When I was little, I couldn't even open it, the backspring  to me was so immensely strong, but it would barely even rate a 5 on the pull scale now. 

It took me a long time to locate this knife and it's now probably the most sacred object I have in my possession.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,500
« Reply #2680 on: June 30, 2020, 03:49:52 PM »
This was a lot of fun to follow. Tons of great pics, and stuff I had never seen before! :like:
RP, thanks for tagging along!  Definitely appreciate it!

Not really, same as any aerosol.
Thanks Steve! :hatsoff:

Thanks for having us Comis  :hatsoff: :cheers:
:cheers: :hatsoff:

DAY 30

2 machetes to end with  :hatsoff:
Finishing Big!  Yes, the badge is ready to be applied! :tu:

Please support and donate to the forum and get a MTO 15th anniversary free magnet!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
« Reply #2681 on: June 30, 2020, 03:52:03 PM »

The one that started it all - my father's Pruner, the knife he always carried and the first pocket knife I ever saw or encountered. After many years of constant use, he eventually passed it on to my brother, being the oldest of the two of us, but they've both gone now, so it's defaulted down to me.

The stag handle is incredibly smooth and warm to the touch, and all the pins are exposed from decades of use. The brass pommel has lots of tiny indentations from when it was frequently used as a hammer, which is something I fondly remember him doing a lot, especially at Christmas time putting up the decorations. When I was little, I couldn't even open it, the backspring  to me was so immensely strong, but it would barely even rate a 5 on the pull scale now. 

It took me a long time to locate this knife and it's now probably the most sacred object I have in my possession.

Fuzz, thanks for sharing the story, making this knife all this special!

Please support and donate to the forum and get a MTO 15th anniversary free magnet!
« Reply #2682 on: June 30, 2020, 03:56:37 PM »
Oh, before I forget, congratulation to everyone finishing the challenge!

Please don't forget to PM me your address for free magnet! 

Currently many posts office services around the world is still pretty much suspended(save the EMS or more expensive courier service), but once the airmail resumes, I would be ready to mail them all out soon!

« Reply #2683 on: June 30, 2020, 04:03:32 PM »
Fuzzbucket Day 30 - Bonus Pic

« Reply #2684 on: June 30, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »
Fuzz, thanks for sharing the story, making this knife all this special!

+1    :tu:

very cool knife cuz !     :like: :tu:

« Reply #2685 on: June 30, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »
Day 30

Great challenge everyone !    :cheers:

Finishing up with a couple of Old Timers

194OT and a 80OT

No Life Club Posts: 1,958
« Reply #2686 on: June 30, 2020, 04:15:18 PM »
Day 30

:like: :tu:

Andrew
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,099 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #2687 on: June 30, 2020, 04:19:55 PM »
Day 30

194OT and a 80OT

Nice Old Timers, Old Timer...

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 1,958
« Reply #2688 on: June 30, 2020, 04:24:21 PM »

Andrew
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,951

Nix us

« Reply #2689 on: June 30, 2020, 04:35:05 PM »

That's a real beauty. The wear and patina....wonderful. The whole things speaks volumes. And conjures up a bygone age, as well as your loved ones, Fuzz. Fantastic.  :tu:

heterodox, not in the box

Nix us

« Reply #2690 on: June 30, 2020, 04:36:52 PM »
Day 30:

It was awl-ways going to end like this for me.......

Buck 110, S30V blade, Buffalo horn scales

Nix us

« Reply #2691 on: June 30, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »
Is there already a badge for this challenge ?

Yes! 

No Life Club Posts: 1,352
« Reply #2692 on: June 30, 2020, 04:40:13 PM »
Day 26: Modified Gerber Flik

I like reading all these "good job posts", but I still have a few days left! I started late so I'm going to end late  :climber:

Today I'm posting a tool that I just finished modifying yesterday. It's a Gerber Flik with a pocket clip! Yup, I drilled and tapped the handle and mounted a pocket clip to this bad boy. It's painted (or titanium coated), so it's a little darker than the black oxide handle finish, but it matches the finish on the tools and pliers head. This started off as a well used copy, but in good working shape with no problems with the pawls. It has nice wear on the black oxide handles... but the plier head and tools are actually painted, and the wear on the pliers and scissors in doesn't look very nice. Still, it's a good user.

I also replaced the dull serrated blade with an MP600 file, which has also been ground and sharpened to have a gasket scraper tip. I don't really use serrated blades, and I use files all the time, and that little gasket scraper modification has come in handy on my tools more times than I can count. All my files get that mod. It was kind of a bear, because the outside tools on this have a far larger pivot, and I didn't have a carbide drill bit big enough. I was able to get it close by going slow and using a lot of lube and a brand new expensive drill bit, then finished sizing the hole with a dremel, so I got a perfect no-wiggle fit.

So on to the use. The tool is heavy. I mean HEAVY. Heavier than an MP600 by far, but with the capability somewhere between an MP400 and a Diesel. There are a lot of hot spots when holding the tool, which makes it not the most comfortable in the world. But the outside opening long blades *are* pretty nice. The short drivers not so much. The can opener is laughably small, and I can't wait to try it to see if it can actually open a can. Overall it's a solid try from Gerber, but I think it misses the mark. The pawl design is overly complicated and the latches to keep the tool closed take up valuable space in the handle which would be better spent on longer secondary tools. Engaging the pawls is always easy with my copy, but disengaging sometimes isn't. If I'm overzealous and squeeze the buttons too hard, or squeeze the handles at the same time I squeeze the buttons, the pawls don't disengage smoothly.

While I prefer the Diesel or MP600 over the Flik, that's because I value the pliers in a multitool far more than the blades. If you're the opposite, then the Flik might just be your thing. It might be worth the extra weight and the less comfortable grip to have one-hand opening outside blades.

That said, I still like playing with it, and will probably put it in rotation for a while before ultimately deciding to sell it. (I usually give a tool a chance to redeem itself via use if I'm not completely stoked about it)

Charles.

Nix us

« Reply #2693 on: June 30, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
Stay the course, Chopper!  :tu:

« Reply #2694 on: June 30, 2020, 04:53:35 PM »
Day 30:

It was awl-ways going to end like this for me.......

Buck 110, S30V blade, Buffalo horn scales

Of course.  :hatsoff:

No Life Club Posts: 1,396
« Reply #2695 on: June 30, 2020, 04:53:46 PM »
Day 30:

Gotta say this was an interesting challenge to participate in as well as to follow.
Saw a lot of great knives, and learned a few things.

Winding it up with a family photo.

- Steve

Nix us

« Reply #2696 on: June 30, 2020, 05:37:01 PM »
 :like:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,559 I'm blue!
« Reply #2697 on: June 30, 2020, 05:55:11 PM »
Day 30

Protech TR-1 (LE #16/100)

I like how it looks, how it feels in hand, and how it makes a loud clack when opening. And I love the color. To be honest I would never have bought one in gray or black, but when Protech did this dark green exclusive for Böker I just had to have it. Unfortunately automatic knives are illegal where I live so I can´t carry it.

« Reply #2698 on: June 30, 2020, 05:58:43 PM »
Thanks to Comis and all participants for a great show  :cheers:
« Reply #2699 on: June 30, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »
Day 30

Very nice!  :like: the shield.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $145.46
PayPal Fees: $7.81
Net Balance: $137.65
Below Goal: $162.35