Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MTO Unleashed! 32126

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,779

Nix us

Re: MTO Unleashed!
« Reply #2730 on: June 30, 2020, 10:17:51 PM »
And dragged...a little bit......

heterodox, not in the box
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,845
« Reply #2731 on: June 30, 2020, 10:40:46 PM »
Day 30

GEC 29 Stockyard Whittler and a 48 Weasel

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Nix us

« Reply #2732 on: June 30, 2020, 10:41:13 PM »
 :like: :like:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,837
« Reply #2733 on: June 30, 2020, 11:02:33 PM »

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #2734 on: June 30, 2020, 11:03:10 PM »
Day 30

Loving that green  :like: :like:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Sr. Member Posts: 479 Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
« Reply #2735 on: June 30, 2020, 11:31:05 PM »
Day 30

The scales on both of those are sweet!!   :like: 

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.
Sr. Member Posts: 479 Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
« Reply #2736 on: June 30, 2020, 11:39:24 PM »
DAY 30
Really enjoyed viewing all the posts and will be expanding my collection to include CASE and GEC now as well.   That's the best part of these challenges.  You get introduced to knives you either didn't know of or considered for a purchase in the past... but now, it's a must have as you see their usefulness and just how beautiful some of the models are!   

For my last post, this is my Buck 622 that has been re-profiled as a straight edge instead of serrated, that I keep in a Ka-Bar BK-16 sheath that had the lower clasp sewn on way too low for the BK-16 (so they sent me another one, and this fits the Buck perfectly).  I pulled the plastic sleeve out of the sheath to heat up and take the shape of this blade to get rid of the clacking sound when you walk with it on your belt, then I glued it back into place.  A Leatherman Juice XE6 that has seen better days is in the pouch along with a fire steel and some fire starters in the bottom of the pouch as well.  Great little camping setup. 

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 54,889
« Reply #2737 on: June 30, 2020, 11:42:44 PM »
 :like: :tu:
No Life Club Posts: 1,345
« Reply #2738 on: July 01, 2020, 12:06:10 AM »
Oh by the way, after messing with that Craftsman scissor tool for a while, the backspring for the eyeglass driver started engaging properly. I think it was getting hung up on the backspring next to it. But it works now and holds the tool open without any play now. So, yeah, even though all the tools need to be sharpened, it's the best tool of the bunch. Not the best for putting on a set of keys, but the best actual tool.

Charles.
No Life Club Posts: 1,115
« Reply #2739 on: July 01, 2020, 12:36:08 AM »
Day30
Lets finish with something big...a Sword

This katana is from Hanbon Forge in China. Hanbon does something rather interisting for a low/mid range production shop in that they are built to order. They have a couple dozen options for everything some free some upcharged.

When I bought it a couple years ago I "purchaced" a basic black sword with the blade I wanted then swapped out every part.
The blade is 1075 so its ok for the price range its in and its mine...
Besides if the world ever goes zombie apocalypse I have other options.

As you can see I went with an archers theme:
Black ray skin w/ green tsukamaki in a non-standard wrap pattern
Arrow fletching tsuba
A spearman graces the other fittings with a heavy spear for the medallion in the wrap
Lotus blossom on the collar
A 2 tone black on black textured saya/scabard

The simple stand is something I picked up localy

Note the castings are a lot cleaner than they look in the pics
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:45:11 AM by Noa Isumi »

I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,009
« Reply #2740 on: July 01, 2020, 02:51:26 AM »

Day 30. Finishing off with something a little unique. This was back when modifying tradtional patterns to have more modern features, such as thumb studs and pocket clips was just starting to be a thing.  Honestly, my opinion on these is pretty lukewarm; especially those with clips. One-hand opening allows me to have the ergonomics of a one-blade traditional pattern that I like, with a locking blade and one-hand opening.  I love the ergonomics of the 5OTG Bruin (which is safely locked away in the collection)  but wanted one that was one-hand opening and closing. Imperial Schrade Corp did not make this knife long, only in 2002 and 2003. But, given I see a moderate amount of them, they must have had good sales. Just Schrade was already on death's door in 2002.

Schrade USA 55OTG Bruin EXT Blade Lifter. It is soon to be rebuilt. Bolsters are banged up and the blade has play in all directions.New bolsters and some micarta are due.

And part of today's mail call. Many of the Hallmark ornaments are just fine as small scale models, and after Christmas, often sel for a huge discount online.  This is a Chevy G-4500 ambulance. I've got a police car, Buick fire engine, and Ford GPA coming.

The detail is very good, but  in the cab is like no other small-scale ambulance I have seen. Unfortunately, to cut costs, they decided not to put in a detailed patient compartment, and there are no windows in the patient module (it's just a hollow piece of plastic).

Nix us

« Reply #2741 on: July 01, 2020, 02:59:42 AM »

Cool!

Nix us

« Reply #2742 on: July 01, 2020, 03:01:15 AM »

Schrade USA 55OTG Bruin EXT Blade Lifter. It is soon to be rebuilt. Bolsters are banged up and the blade has play in all directions.New bolsters and some micarta are due.

Interesting knife, and a nice project!  :tu:

« Reply #2743 on: July 01, 2020, 08:42:57 AM »
Interesting knife, and a nice project!  :tu:

:iagree: :like:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,920 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #2744 on: July 01, 2020, 01:26:05 PM »
A foldable sword  :ahhh

Yes, I've seen others much more expensive...

:whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,532 I'm blue!
« Reply #2745 on: July 01, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »
Thanks for the badge  :tu: :cheers:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,403
« Reply #2746 on: July 01, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »
Ahhh....it was awl, Comis!

Great idea for a challenge, Comis. This was a fun one!  :tu:
It sure was!  :cheers:

Day 30
To end the challenge,I decided to include some knives/tools that are sentimental and symbolic to me.
I found MTO (last year?) after searching modded SAKS,and seeing pics of Phil's work.
My 1st full-size,multi layer SAK (and my second SAK) was a Champion.I traded a classmate a headphone radio for it in 87. I rehandled it with ebony or Buffalo horn (I also did my ranger),maybe 95 or 96. Lost it a couple years after.
To me,the Champ and Handyman are representatives of this knife.Until I get another Champion.
The Deluxe Tinker was the 1st SAK of my current foray into amassing SAKs (im not really a collector,I just set a goal of acquiring at least 20 this year). I think i have 3 to go.Well 2,but i didn't receive my camo Spartan yet.
 I am taken by the Alox models,and especially the Pioneer X,this is my third. I used the first to make my "Pioneer X Farmer",i gave the sexond to my father,the Pioneer pictured here is the left over from my modding project.
Since this is MTO,I  have to include an MT. My first was a Bucktool,which I gave to my dad,when he gave me an OG Wave,in 99. I gave that 1 to my son,a few years ago,and was fortunate to acquire the replacement pictured. I picked up the Wave 2 and  + before this 1,but I'm still fond of the OG.
I thank everyone who commented on my posts,and I apologize for not interacting more,this situation we're all facing is wearing me down.
I hope I'm more fun in the next challenge.
Great  knives and pics.
Thank you for sharing the stories about Champ!  What a great way to conclude the challenge with something meaningful. :tu:

Day 30, preparing a shipping label

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks Comis and Nix for hosting this challenge!  :cheers:
Thanks for joining!  Lovely Barlow!  This particular one and its variants are getting expensive and still trying to hunt one down eventually! :facepalm: :D

Please support and donate to the forum and get a MTO 15th anniversary free magnet!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
« Reply #2747 on: July 01, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »
Day 30

There I thought I have seen many GEC and knew most of them, and you came out with one that I'd never seen!  Awesome!  And I look forward to join the Dean's Memorial Challenge with you again this month! :cheers:

DAY 30
Really enjoyed viewing all the posts and will be expanding my collection to include CASE and GEC now as well.   That's the best part of these challenges.  You get introduced to knives you either didn't know of or considered for a purchase in the past... but now, it's a must have as you see their usefulness and just how beautiful some of the models are!   

For my last post, this is my Buck 622 that has been re-profiled as a straight edge instead of serrated, that I keep in a Ka-Bar BK-16 sheath that had the lower clasp sewn on way too low for the BK-16 (so they sent me another one, and this fits the Buck perfectly).  I pulled the plastic sleeve out of the sheath to heat up and take the shape of this blade to get rid of the clacking sound when you walk with it on your belt, then I glued it back into place.  A Leatherman Juice XE6 that has seen better days is in the pouch along with a fire steel and some fire starters in the bottom of the pouch as well.  Great little camping setup. 
Challenges tend to dent my wallet too!   Great job on the re-profiling, and no doubt a functional setup for camping.  Thank you for joining the challenge! :cheers:

Day30

This katana is from Hanbon Forge in China. Hanbon does something rather interisting for a low/mid range production shop in that they are built to order. They have a couple dozen options for everything some free some upcharged.

When I bought it a couple years ago I "purchaced" a basic black sword with the blade I wanted then swapped out every part.
The blade is 1075 so its ok for the price range its in and its mine...
Besides if the world ever goes zombie apocalypse I have other options.

As you can see I went with an archers theme:
Black ray skin w/ green tsukamaki in a non-standard wrap pattern
Arrow fletching tsuba
A spearman graces the other fittings with a heavy spear for the medallion in the wrap
Lotus blossom on the collar
A 2 tone black on black textured saya/scabard

The simple stand is something I picked up localy

Note the castings are a lot cleaner than they look in the pics
Very nice!  I like how this is correctly displayed too, and looks like a good deal.   Have you tried test cutting with it?
Day 30. Finishing off with something a little unique. This was back when modifying tradtional patterns to have more modern features, such as thumb studs and pocket clips was just starting to be a thing.  Honestly, my opinion on these is pretty lukewarm; especially those with clips. One-hand opening allows me to have the ergonomics of a one-blade traditional pattern that I like, with a locking blade and one-hand opening.  I love the ergonomics of the 5OTG Bruin (which is safely locked away in the collection)  but wanted one that was one-hand opening and closing. Imperial Schrade Corp did not make this knife long, only in 2002 and 2003. But, given I see a moderate amount of them, they must have had good sales. Just Schrade was already on death's door in 2002.

And part of today's mail call. Many of the Hallmark ornaments are just fine as small scale models, and after Christmas, often sel for a huge discount online.  This is a Chevy G-4500 ambulance. I've got a police car, Buick fire engine, and Ford GPA coming.

The detail is very good, but  in the cab is like no other small-scale ambulance I have seen. Unfortunately, to cut costs, they decided not to put in a detailed patient compartment, and there are no windows in the patient module (it's just a hollow piece of plastic).

Pretty cool mod!  On modding traditional pattern, I have only ventured to put an add-on thumb stud to a Buck 112/110, but have never done anything substantial, probably in fear it would alter the whole knife and its aesthetics.  Btw, great detail on the ambulance, I can see why you would like them. :like:

Please support and donate to the forum and get a MTO 15th anniversary free magnet!
« Reply #2748 on: July 01, 2020, 05:26:50 PM »
Day 27: Gerber Octane

This has been my favorite light EDC for quite a while now. While I've recently replaced it with the more capable SOG PowerAccess, I still dearly love this tool and will carry it on occasion -- especially if I'm going somewhere I might need to open a few beers. It has the best bottle opener design of any multitool I own.

The tools are minimal, but what's there is excellent. The phillips driver is robust and has more reach than the MP600. The flat drivers work well, and the stand-out tool that I never thought I'd care about is the package opener. It's actually really useful on blister-packs. Far more controllable than a large blade, it takes little effort to slice the edge off all the way around the blister-pack.

Finally, the blade. This is actually a weak point on the Octane. While the blade is nicely shaped and quite useful, the stop that keeps it from opening too-far is just a small piece of metal bent over the frame. It has failed on me when using the knife to cut through some heavy plastic, and opened too far. I was able to use a nail setter and a hammer to push it back in place, but it's a design flaw that means the blade is only ever suitable for light-duty tasks. I can fix that, but the time investment isn't worth it at this point in my life.

Still, I'm overall very happy with the Octane. I really like the feel of it in my hand, there are no hot spots and it's just comfortable to use in all situations. It's also the only Gerber sliding pliers that came with a pocket clip that I know of (unless you count the Paul Chen scissor tool), and it's a better tool than the MP400 in my opinion. Fewer implements for sure, but I still like it far better.

Charles.

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,920 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #2749 on: July 01, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »

This has been my favorite light EDC for quite a while now. While I've recently replaced it with the more capable SOG PowerAccess, I still dearly love this tool and will carry it on occasion -- especially if I'm going somewhere I might need to open a few beers. It has the best bottle opener design of any multitool I own.

The tools are minimal, but what's there is excellent. The phillips driver is robust and has more reach than the MP600. The flat drivers work well, and the stand-out tool that I never thought I'd care about is the package opener. It's actually really useful on blister-packs. Far more controllable than a large blade, it takes little effort to slice the edge off all the way around the blister-pack.

Finally, the blade. This is actually a weak point on the Octane. While the blade is nicely shaped and quite useful, the stop that keeps it from opening too-far is just a small piece of metal bent over the frame. It has failed on me when using the knife to cut through some heavy plastic, and opened too far. I was able to use a nail setter and a hammer to push it back in place, but it's a design flaw that means the blade is only ever suitable for light-duty tasks. I can fix that, but the time investment isn't worth it at this point in my life.

Still, I'm overall very happy with the Octane. I really like the feel of it in my hand, there are no hot spots and it's just comfortable to use in all situations. It's also the only Gerber sliding pliers that came with a pocket clip that I know of (unless you count the Paul Chen scissor tool), and it's a better tool than the MP400 in my opinion. Fewer implements for sure, but I still like it far better.

Charles.

Nice review! Keep it up!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

« Reply #2750 on: July 01, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »
What he said  :iagree:

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #2751 on: July 01, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »

Charles.

Nice review, Charles! :like:   I do have an Octane for collection purpose, and your post makes it so promising! :tu:

Nice review! Keep it up!

:cheers: :tu:

:cheers:

Nix us

« Reply #2752 on: July 01, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »
I'd never heard of the Octane before...  :tu:

« Reply #2753 on: July 01, 2020, 08:02:04 PM »
It had a relatively short life. It's the one tool I wish Gerber had toughed it out and made for longer, because it's really a wonderful tool. It has pliers on the smaller side, but it really was a positive evolution of the MP400. Large outside opening blade, and unlike the Flik it's actually contoured and comfortable to hold, and even had longer short tools than the MP series. It also fits the hand really well, while also being thin enough to comfortable pocket carry.

They're hard to find, but well worth having in rotation.

As I said I'm mostly using a SOG PowerAccess now for a light carry day. The SOG has more tools, an excellent phillips driver with good reach, and absolutely exceptional compound leverage pliers that are usable in roughly the same range of opening as the Octane and other lightweight carry tools. (Right about where the handle splay becomes unusable is where the jaws on the Power Access are open the same as the Octane's maximum opening).

That said, the Octane is a FAR more refined tool. The SOG has sharp edges and hot spots and is not the most comfortable thing to use, where the Octane is classy, comfortable, smooth, and speaks of well-thought out design. The SOG is remarkable for how much crap they crammed into such a small package, and how it is FAR more capable than any other small, lightweight tool in its class. The Octane is remarkable because so much thought was put into making a comfortable, usable tool within the limitations of sliding pliers and EDC-capable, while also having an outstanding fit and finish that simply outclasses the SOG.

Each are great tools, and what I take with me really comes down to how I feel about what I might encounter in my day, and how I want to feel about the tool I'm using.

Charles.
« Reply #2754 on: July 01, 2020, 09:34:24 PM »
It had a relatively short life. It's the one tool I wish Gerber had toughed it out and made for longer, because it's really a wonderful tool. It has pliers on the smaller side, but it really was a positive evolution of the MP400. Large outside opening blade, and unlike the Flik it's actually contoured and comfortable to hold, and even had longer short tools than the MP series. It also fits the hand really well, while also being thin enough to comfortable pocket carry.

They're hard to find, but well worth having in rotation.

As I said I'm mostly using a SOG PowerAccess now for a light carry day. The SOG has more tools, an excellent phillips driver with good reach, and absolutely exceptional compound leverage pliers that are usable in roughly the same range of opening as the Octane and other lightweight carry tools. (Right about where the handle splay becomes unusable is where the jaws on the Power Access are open the same as the Octane's maximum opening).

That said, the Octane is a FAR more refined tool. The SOG has sharp edges and hot spots and is not the most comfortable thing to use, where the Octane is classy, comfortable, smooth, and speaks of well-thought out design. The SOG is remarkable for how much crap they crammed into such a small package, and how it is FAR more capable than any other small, lightweight tool in its class. The Octane is remarkable because so much thought was put into making a comfortable, usable tool within the limitations of sliding pliers and EDC-capable, while also having an outstanding fit and finish that simply outclasses the SOG.

Each are great tools, and what I take with me really comes down to how I feel about what I might encounter in my day, and how I want to feel about the tool I'm using.

Charles.
To be honest, if the LM Wave/Charge is the mid size, and Juice is consider small.  Then the world do needs more small size plier-based MT.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,021
« Reply #2755 on: July 01, 2020, 11:04:39 PM »
Chopper Thanks for another great review of a MT.  Posts like these are one of the things that made this challenge so great.

Thanks comis and Nix for hosting it.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,021
« Reply #2756 on: July 01, 2020, 11:25:21 PM »
To be honest, if the LM Wave/Charge is the mid size, and Juice is consider small.  Then the world do needs more small size plier-based MT.

Agree.  More juice or mini size plier tools would be nice.  Keep it a basic tool set like a couple drivers or bit driver and spot to hold a few bits.  Maybe an adapter of sorts that allows the user to insert a utility knife blade, saw or file.  I would also say, not to bother with a knife or openers because many people who need a knife carry a separate one and can/bottle openers aren’t really a necessity for a tool.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,009
« Reply #2757 on: July 02, 2020, 12:16:41 AM »
There I thought I have seen many GEC and knew most of them, and you came out with one that I'd never seen!  Awesome!  And I look forward to join the Dean's Memorial Challenge with you again this month! :cheers:

Challenges tend to dent my wallet too!   Great job on the re-profiling, and no doubt a functional setup for camping.  Thank you for joining the challenge! :cheers:

Very nice!  I like how this is correctly displayed too, and looks like a good deal.   Have you tried test cutting with it?Pretty cool mod!  On modding traditional pattern, I have only ventured to put an add-on thumb stud to a Buck 112/110, but have never done anything substantial, probably in fear it would alter the whole knife and its aesthetics.  Btw, great detail on the ambulance, I can see why you would like them. :like:

It is actually a factory model, but I am restoring it. I think someone who had it before felt the blade was too loose, and really beat the heck out of the bolsters, not knowing the pin is actually hidden underneath (it's part of Swinden construction--bolster snaps on pin). I have tried a thumb stud on a 110, and it lasted all of a week--I hated it. I'd love to see Buck put a Slim Select blade in a standard 110 as a factory model. From what I'm seeing, Copper and Clad now has a "Slim" 110 in aluminum/G-10 with a pocket clip, but seems not having a thumb stud is a bit of an oxymoron.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:47:20 AM by cody6268 »
No Life Club Posts: 1,945
« Reply #2758 on: July 02, 2020, 01:41:12 AM »
DAY 30

Nice last one and regrind.  :like:

Andrew
No Life Club Posts: 1,115
« Reply #2759 on: July 02, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »
Comis
Nothing serious on the cut testing with that sword, just a little cardboard when I first got it. It is mostly for display.
I am honestly not good with Japanese swords. My only training is 2yrs of french foil in HS with a little extra book learning from old military saber guides.
I took it up again with some of Darebee's guides as extra exercise while in physical therapy a couble years back. Unfortunately like most people I dont stick to my workout plans; but when I do my normal sword is Cold Steel' polypropylene boken.

So as an middle age guy w/ a few extra pounds I probably look ridiculous swinging a plastic sword around....enjoy the mental image
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:34:17 PM by Noa Isumi »

I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $96.10
PayPal Fees: $5.60
Net Balance: $90.50
Below Goal: $209.50
Site Currency: USD
30%