Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MTO Unleashed! 32222

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,960 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: MTO Unleashed!
« Reply #2760 on: July 02, 2020, 05:01:20 PM »
Comis
Nothing serious on the cut testing with that sword, just a little cardboard when I first got it. It is mostly for display.
I am honestly not good with Japanese swords. My only training is 2yrs of french foil in HS with a little extra book learning from old military saber guides.
I took it up again with some of Darebee's guides as extra exercise while in physical therapy a couble years back. Unfortunately like most people I dont stick to my workout plans; but when I do my normal sword is Cold Steel' polypropylene boken.

So as an middle age guy w/ a few extra pounds I probably look ridiculous swinging a plastic sword around....enjoy the mental image

No, no, no, no, no!

:worthless:

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 1,345
« Reply #2761 on: July 02, 2020, 07:39:13 PM »
Day 28: Coast Pocket Tool With Lighter Scale

This is one of my most favorite knives. It's made by Coast back in the 90s, and it's a copy of a Wenger swiss army knife. Coast apparently purchased blanks from Wenger, and then polished, machined, and finished them as they saw fit. The tools are a 1:1 identical to Wenger knives, including the clip-point blade (matches the Swiss Buck blade shape. The shapes are the same, except for extra polishing (more time in the vibrating polisher) than Wenger. The parts are machined differently. While the saw length, shape, and tooth count is the same, the Coast has a thicker spine, so there is no relief to prevent the saw from getting stuck. The nail file tool has a screwdriver tip instead of a pointy tip, which I think is a nice improvement. And of course, the clip point blade is chisel ground and has micro serrations. It's also been ground thinner, with a relief on the back side to make room for the longer nail file tool.

The front scale is similar to Wenger, and actually attaches the same way as 90s wenger knives. The three male clips (not rivets) in the liner that attach to the female clips in the scale. The difference is it's made out of some kind of regular plastic instead of whatever the Wenger handles are made of, and it has a Victorinox-style tweezers. The backside scale, of course, is a butane lighter, quite similar in construction to the Kowell mini lighters. There's a special liner that this screws to, and then the black plastic clips over the butane reservoir and screws in place.

This is the ONLY one of these I've found that still works after 25-some-odd years. Well, to be clear, this is the only Coast-branded one I've found period. Coast also made a similar tool with Eddie Bauer branding and no saw. I've had three of those (including one brand new in the package), and the reservoirs were cracked in every single one. It's some kind of nylon and is not repairable.

I keep this knife in a small bag on my motorcycle. It's always nice to have a lighter and pocket knife just in case, and this has both. It's a bit large for pocket carry, but for that useage it's perfect.

Charles.
No Life Club Posts: 4,979
« Reply #2762 on: July 02, 2020, 07:45:28 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

This is one of my most favorite knives. It's made by Coast back in the 90s, and it's a copy of a Wenger swiss army knife. Coast apparently purchased blanks from Wenger, and then polished, machined, and finished them as they saw fit. The tools are a 1:1 identical to Wenger knives, including the clip-point blade (matches the Swiss Buck blade shape. The shapes are the same, except for extra polishing (more time in the vibrating polisher) than Wenger. The parts are machined differently. While the saw length, shape, and tooth count is the same, the Coast has a thicker spine, so there is no relief to prevent the saw from getting stuck. The nail file tool has a screwdriver tip instead of a pointy tip, which I think is a nice improvement. And of course, the clip point blade is chisel ground and has micro serrations. It's also been ground thinner, with a relief on the back side to make room for the longer nail file tool.

The front scale is similar to Wenger, and actually attaches the same way as 90s wenger knives. The three male clips (not rivets) in the liner that attach to the female clips in the scale. The difference is it's made out of some kind of regular plastic instead of whatever the Wenger handles are made of, and it has a Victorinox-style tweezers. The backside scale, of course, is a butane lighter, quite similar in construction to the Kowell mini lighters. There's a special liner that this screws to, and then the black plastic clips over the butane reservoir and screws in place.

This is the ONLY one of these I've found that still works after 25-some-odd years. Well, to be clear, this is the only Coast-branded one I've found period. Coast also made a similar tool with Eddie Bauer branding and no saw. I've had three of those (including one brand new in the package), and the reservoirs were cracked in every single one. It's some kind of nylon and is not repairable.

I keep this knife in a small bag on my motorcycle. It's always nice to have a lighter and pocket knife just in case, and this has both. It's a bit large for pocket carry, but for that useage it's perfect.

Charles.
Looks like a very handy tool to keep around :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

« Reply #2763 on: July 02, 2020, 07:55:20 PM »
Coast actually also had a copy of the 65mm Wenger Esquire, also with a screwdriver tip on the nail file and Victorinox style toothpick and tweezers.

They also made a copy of the Wenger Canyon, which I still have new in the packaging. Note the text saying "Components from various countries, including Europe. Assembled in China". That was the hint that these really are actual Wenger blanks. Still conjecture, but the measurements are exact, so they'd have to have really, really good copies.

Finally, here's one of the Eddie Bauer lighter knives, which unfortunately doesn't work.  This one actually did work for a short time after I made a hot-glue repair to the reservoir... but eventually the crack grew and all the butane leaked out. I've tried plastic welding and all sorts of glues to repair these, and they're just not fixable. Note that the blade is now black oxide, and the saw is missing. The black part of the scales is rubber, and they attach to special rivet heads like Victorinox knives.

Charles.

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,891
« Reply #2764 on: July 02, 2020, 11:04:29 PM »

Charles.

Now that is cool Charles  :like:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,888
« Reply #2765 on: July 02, 2020, 11:34:02 PM »
 :iagree:

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 54,991
« Reply #2766 on: July 02, 2020, 11:38:48 PM »
 :like: :tu:
No Life Club Posts: 1,949
« Reply #2767 on: July 03, 2020, 12:43:07 AM »
 :like:
That’s neat Charles  :tu:

Andrew
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,034
« Reply #2768 on: July 03, 2020, 05:17:28 AM »
That Coast Pocket Tool with lighter looks pretty nice and useful.
« Reply #2769 on: July 03, 2020, 01:36:58 PM »
That Coast Pocket Tool with lighter looks pretty nice and useful.

+1

I like the little serrations, too.

:cheers: :cheers:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

« Reply #2770 on: July 03, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »
Day 29: Modded CRKT Bivy

This is my modified CRKT Bivy. While this is a knife based multi-tool, the pliers in this tool are actually pretty large. They're suitable for light to medium duty tasks. The handle limits the amount of leverage you can supply, and the plier thickness is similar to medium duty tools. They have a very long needle nose and have a bit of an odd shape, and they don't open that far, but they're actually comparable to many pliers-based multitools. They also deploy like a switchblade, or like the SOG Switchplier. They're... far more robust than the Switchplier, however.

The tanto blade is really where it's at with this knife. Somehow I've used and abused this thing, to where there are a couple visible dings in the blade edge, and yet it still slices through paper like it's nothing. This blade will keep an edge even when the edge looks like complete crap. I'm not sure how, but I like it! It's a blade that looks like it means business, and the serrations are just as sharp as the flat section. And perfectly shaped for slicing rope.

The one thing I did hate about the Bivy was the tool load-out. The marlin spike was a useless tool for me, and a colossal waste of space. And the 2D phillips driver was so poorly formed it was laughable. So.... I found a copy of the tool on aliexpress or that other site (I don't really remember which), and it had a big beefy screwdriver in place of the marlin spike, and a can opener in the position where the original phillips driver was. So I grabbed it. I used it for a bit, but the copy was not of the same quality construction. The blade didn't keep an edge very well and the pliers were not as solidly constructed, and I broke them doing a task the Bivy later accomplished with ease. BUT, that phillips driver was the bomb. It didn't cam out and the tip didn't get damaged after turning a bunch of screws. So... I swapped it into my Bivy, along with the can opener. The can opener was a straight swap, but I had to modify the lock tangs to properly engage the new phillips driver. All while making sure the spring-loaded pliers didn't explode and shoot the spring across the room.

This is how the Bivy should have come from the factory, IMO.

Charles.
« Reply #2771 on: July 03, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »
Nice one Charles :tu:
One day I'll get myself a Bivy too.

« Reply #2772 on: July 04, 2020, 01:51:11 AM »

Andrew
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,768 Born to multitask.
« Reply #2773 on: July 04, 2020, 01:38:51 PM »
Nice mods on the Bivy, it looks great! :like:
Sr. Member Posts: 479 Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
« Reply #2774 on: July 04, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »

That's nice!  As I was scrolling down I thought "that bolster looks loose".   Then I saw it was actually the lid to the lighter.  Very cool!

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.
« Reply #2775 on: July 05, 2020, 02:52:21 AM »
Day 30: leatherman crunch

The end of this challenge deserves a special tool, and my special tool is the Leatherman Crunch. This was a Christmas present from my (now ex-) girlfriend’s dad. He was a farmer and understood the need for a good knife or multitool. This is really the most thoughtful, personal present I’ve ever received. I always carry it on motorcycle trips, and often use it in the garage when I need precision vise grips.

Charles.
« Reply #2776 on: July 05, 2020, 05:54:34 AM »

The end of this challenge deserves a special tool, and my special tool is the Leatherman Crunch. This was a Christmas present from my (now ex-) girlfriend’s dad. He was a farmer and understood the need for a good knife or multitool. This is really the most thoughtful, personal present I’ve ever received. I always carry it on motorcycle trips, and often use it in the garage when I need precision vise grips.

Charles.
Great story.  I love the Crunch.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,421
« Reply #2777 on: July 05, 2020, 07:42:59 AM »

Charles.
Charles, congrats on finishing the challenge!  :cheers: :tu:

I am a big fan for Crunch, not only it is a unique offering and represent the innovative spirit of LM, it practically compliments whatever knife/tool I carry. :like:

Please support and donate to the forum and get a MTO 15th anniversary free magnet!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,891
« Reply #2778 on: July 05, 2020, 09:05:01 AM »
Charles, congrats on finishing the challenge!  :cheers: :tu:

I am a big fan for Crunch, not only it is a unique offering and represent the innovative spirit of LM, it practically compliments whatever knife/tool I carry. :like:

:iagree: :like:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 54,991
« Reply #2779 on: July 05, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »
Congrats on finishing Charles !   :cheers:
« Reply #2780 on: July 05, 2020, 02:13:25 PM »
It’s been a lot of fun to do this challenge! Thanks for letting my start late and end late, and thanks everyone for the wonderful pictures and stories!

Charles.
« Reply #2781 on: July 05, 2020, 07:16:27 PM »
Congrats Charles :cheers:

« Reply #2782 on: July 05, 2020, 10:58:31 PM »
Congrats on finishing Charles !   :cheers:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

« Reply #2783 on: July 05, 2020, 10:59:25 PM »
It’s been a lot of fun to do this challenge! Thanks for letting my start late and end late, and thanks everyone for the wonderful pictures and stories!

Charles.

Well done! Thanks for your pics, too!

:cheers: :tu:

Awlso...

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

« Reply #2784 on: July 06, 2020, 12:19:03 AM »
Congrats Charles.  Your participation with such interesting reviews was appreciated.
« Reply #2785 on: July 06, 2020, 02:24:14 AM »
Great finish Charles.

Andrew
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,806

Nix us

« Reply #2786 on: July 07, 2020, 04:18:07 PM »
 :iagree:

heterodox, not in the box
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,421
« Reply #2787 on: July 07, 2020, 04:25:07 PM »

Please support and donate to the forum and get a MTO 15th anniversary free magnet!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
« Reply #2788 on: July 08, 2020, 02:24:02 AM »
Can I get the badge please? :)

Charles.
Hero Member Posts: 787
« Reply #2789 on: July 08, 2020, 04:15:03 AM »
Awlso would like to request the badge, if it pleases your honours

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

Donations